View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Uprated springs? what? how? 
Field Plougher

Post Re: Uprated springs? what? how?
Question for pete or mark at morvan when the box broke the back of the pick up was bouncing i think it needs softer springs on the rear due to having no weight on the back

any advice on softer springs

for non 4x4ers gear boxes on my car break constantly due to the red mist, this time i **think** when it was jumping (red mist) it was losing grip in the back box then getting grip putting it under to much shock

May 8th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Firing on two.

At Morvan, the bouncing certainly does load/unload the transmission, maybe new shocks at the back with softer springs.
Question..does the Yellow pick up have uprated springs at front/rear, if not you could try std rears?
If you recall the Brecon Gap road outing the Yellow Pick broke a rear spring rod maybe due to stiff springing??
Attachment:
P1010021.jpg

Then again.. have reached the limit on 2CV diffs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May 8th, 2009, 6:44 pm
willy wonka

i think little loui the bouncying did cause it but the tractor tyres too, as they where getting lots of grip and digging really fast in the rocky/mud and the bouncying of pushing it forward i think just finished it.. my dad was intrested in these longer softer springs i think pete sparrow knows where you can get them and they arnt that expensive. i have a video of your dad taking your car up that hill i will post it on utube soon when i get a min or two..
Also, your gearbox had been making bad crunching the whole day before really, so maybe the bouncying, jumping and extra grip from the tractors just was to much for the diffs..

May 8th, 2009, 7:41 pm
Firing on two.

subarupete wrote:
If the ride is crap try greasing the knife edges and lubricating the spring/cans with caster oil

1/ greassing the knife edges actually does nothing. getting it between the bearing surfaces would mean taking all strain off the system. Simply putting it back on its wheels would effectivley break down any lubrication..... its not a sliding action its a rocking one.

2/ cans regularly lubed but as im not that well off I go for the rapeseed oil option....or mebbe its cause i is Scottish :lol:

Ride is crap because its got spring rates the car wasnt designed to have and it tends to buck on rebound over rough roads. The springs were designed to work with the chassis 50mm of the smooth tarmac and uprated shocks...neither of which Ive done.

as i said its fun getting the back to hop out on the corners ( but the dog dont like it) Chased a Porche down our local roads for a bit till the driver stopped to ask " What the F**k is in that..i was trying to loose you " "Just a standard 602cc" :roll:
Sean

May 8th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Field Plougher

the crunching noise was the same as ru's car problem

May 8th, 2009, 11:13 pm
Firing on two.

2cv4x4 wrote:
the crunching noise was the same as ru's car problem

My crunching noise was due to broken rear gearbox mounts, so as the gearbox 'bounced' in four wheel drive the prop would scrape on the chassis.

http://www.studioru.co.uk

May 9th, 2009, 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4