View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Redoing the underseal 
Firing on two.

Post Redoing the underseal
Hi

I want to get under the car, take off all the brittle wax and dirt and slap on some new wax / underseal.

I think I need to hire a jet washer and use a wooden scrapper too. My main question is access / keeping safe under the car and not getting completely covered in grime at close quarters.

Any advice on raising the car from the side to get good access - I'm thinking trolley jack, stands, concrete blocks as fail safe....???

any tips???
cheers

July 20th, 2011, 1:01 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Redoing the underseal
I did mine with the body off, and rolled over on it's side which made life a lot easier. I've seen people tip complete 2cvs over on their side, obviously with something to support it, but I doubt this is good practice, bad for the wheels, suspension etc?

You should be able to get it up high enough with a trolley jack or two, but yes, always make sure there are some blocks or something in case the worst happens - They might be light, but still heavy enough to squash people!

I've just got some ramps for mine, which make life easier, the one's I've got aren't terribly high, but then a 2cv has quite a big of ground clearance all ready.

As for the grime, I think a set of disposable overalls might not go amiss, they're cheap, and you can just get rid of them when you're done. Goggles and maybe a dust mask too would be helpful.

I found a wire wheel on a grinder the best way of removing underseal.

Good luck!

July 20th, 2011, 1:44 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Redoing the underseal
I found it very difficult to remove old underseal from my front wings.Tried all sorts of scrappers,ended up using diesel and petrol.Worked a treat.

July 21st, 2011, 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]