View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 88  Next
 1-2-spark 
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Post Re: 1-2-spark
Quote:
Got my own troubles at the moment. The new PCB runs fine but I can't get any connection to the pc (sh&t).

What am I doing I'm quoting myself here... But problems are solved, got a connection
to the Pc now there is 1 minor fault in the PCB, probably because I'm still in a learning curve.
Need to change the transmitting and receiving pins at the 9 pin connector on the PCB, and yes now I'm receiving data from the new pcb. Tomorrow I will do the sending part and then Marks 1-2-Spark will be ready (just in time to deliver) Will make some pics from the raped PCB tomorrow.....

Russ

May 30th, 2012, 12:14 am
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Joolz,
my understanding is that it's primarily the cylinder pressure which dictates the kV required to initiate a spark across a plug gap (or gaps).
Plug gap also has an effect, as does A/F ratio and so on, but there's a limit to how much you can close up the plug gaps to compensate.

"Generally, event cylinders require 10- to 12-kV to initiate current flow across the spark plug gap, while only 2- to 3-kV is needed to fire the waste cylinder. Therefore, the air gap in the waste cylinder creates no more resistance than the rotor gap would in a conventional ignition system."

A good many years ago, I made some basic electronic ignition units using Talbot ignition modules, triggered with either an infrared emitter and detector pair out of a cash register or the Hall effect sensor out of the Talbot distributor. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkpa ... 513&_pgn=1

Running a comb through the gap to bench test the spark with a standard 2CV coil produced an arc almost an inch long in free air, but it still misfired at high rpm or load when in use.
Fitting a Visa coil at Roy's suggestion fixed that, mind you...

ken

Joolz wrote:
I'm not convinced by that yet, but then I am naturally cynical. Is it really that much harder to force a spark across a plug surrounded by fuel/air mix, than one surrounded by exhaust gas? If it is then wouldn't closing up the plug gaps counteract the problem? Otherwise just a differently rated coil? Either way, I wouldn't let it knock that idea on the head.

May 30th, 2012, 8:26 am
Firing on two.

Ah OK, now I'm convinced. :lol:

But I still think changing to a different coil (or 2 coils in parallel, or 2 6v coils in series) would solve the problem, so long as they could be supplied with enough current.

May 31st, 2012, 12:04 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Testdriver "Number 1" "Mark SUPERFINN 4x4" is on his way testing 1-2-Spark and already taking it to the limit and beyond.......... read the whole story

So saturdy Mark dropped in with his Yellow Peril to collect his 1-2-Spark unit..
Imageme and Mark
the complete unit (the VR sensor arrived just in time)

First we installed the software on his laptop a Macbook running Xp and tried to connect it to the unit. This worked first time so this was very good. Did it in my office (livingroom) with a 12v connection to the unit and a simulator (little milling machine to reproduce an RPM reading).
Then we adjusted advance dwell and revlimiter and the all the software worked..
So of to my garage (my real office)

pic. taken by Mark.....

First I welded a little plate to the flywheel which will be the pickup.
Then a sensor holder to the inlet manifold to hold the sensor right above the plate.

Then we fixed the unit to the innerdashoard and did a little wiring. This all took about 2 hours, most of the time searching for the right tool in my garage...

Then a little fire in the hole, first try some misfiers, but hey it ran.

After a little lunchbreak, we did some adjustements to the wiring (attaching the - wire to the
- wire-holder where all the - wires come together and hey it ran without misfiering.

So then it was playtime........ Connecting the computer, a little fidling to the dwell; Mark runs a Yellow Harley coil of we went.

Looking forward to some nice hills in my neighboorhood we had a little pinking above 3500 rpm so time to set the advance.... Already noticing more and more torque from 1000 to 3000rpm and with each adjustment less pinking so we where on the right track.

Then of to the highway with also a nice hill (a normal 2cv just 90km in 4.) we had to do several attempst while setting the advance back to end with a 2cv which just didn't pink.......

So everything went very well.
Then Mark went back to the hollyday adres about 70 miles from me....

Here the first mails Mark was sending me that evening......

Geo. just arrived.
Impressed tho definitely got more torque
Mark

and a second mail.....
I could definiely notice a difference in the ignition. My 80kph cruise control now does nearer 90 for a start. Also when there was an incline there was no real loss of speed before the revs would drop and once below 4000 I'd have to help with the foot! This time to I drove pretty much all the way from the start of the A46 to the A57 on crusie and maintained a speed between 80 and 90 kph.

Another thing I noticed was the engine ran cooler. On the way to you I was doing 80-90 but had to have the 2nd choke going. This time I wasn't on 2nd choke but had the same speed. Oil temp also dropped 15c which is good.

Do I need to say more.....

Then the day after he had some trouble with his (old) wiring in his car and he had to go back to his 123 unit he used before.
another mail
I definitely have coil or lead problems as I can hear the arcing. Coil was fitted in 2004 in a rush and some connectors are almost hanging off.
The 123 was having problems as well so I'll solve the issues running that first and then retry the 12 spark

and the last mail one tells it all
Don't be sorry. You have made a good product. After half a day driving your system the car felt sluggish on the 123!! And anyway is this not what being a test driver is all about!

So I think I'm heading in the right direction with 1-2-Spark.

Today Mark was sending me a video where he is playing with the software, putting the revlimiter to 3000 rpm testing and setting it back to 5750. ( The advance and dwell boxes are the same principe)

enjoy Marks Yellow Peril / 1-2- Spark video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGeoy8e ... e=youtu.be

Russ

June 4th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Looking excellent.

June 5th, 2012, 9:59 am
Firing on two.

Well done lpgo, I can't imagine how many hours you have put in to make this system work in time, grats!

I was just thinking about how far you plan to go with making 1-2-spark 'plug n play' because although it will suit the alternate nutters, I know the 2cv realm has a lot, will it run straight out of the box without any need for tuning or a laptop? I imagine that all this tunability will scare a lot of folks away.

JUst thinking out loud!

Harley

June 5th, 2012, 1:48 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

@ subarupete, Im surprised myself how well the software works and the unit (realy stable no bugs so far) and ofcours that theres a noticable diffrence to 123. You must know I've never had a 123 unit and now ofcours I never will have one either :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My own 2cv ran on points so that was obvious that there was a noticable diffrence.

@ Harley
1-2-Spark is plug and play, (well sort of) Marks engine isn't........... 1-2-Spark ran out of the box in Marks car but it ran the same as 123 (worse). You must now Marks enigne is not standard; it is a Dyane engine 9-1 compression tuned to even more compression, out of the box it was pinking with 1-2-spark, thats why we had to tune it. But that's the diffrence; with 1-2-Spark you can tune with 123 you can't.......

Russ

June 5th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Aircooled Idiot

Ipgo

Genius

Wish I wasn't so thick!!!!!!!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

June 6th, 2012, 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Would this ignition work with my Turbo project??

June 7th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Dyane61976 wrote:
Would this ignition work with my Turbo project??

Yes it can but it will be better when a vecuum sensor is installed, retarding the igniton under boost I don't have that yet...

Russ

June 8th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 88  Next