View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 88  Next
 1-2-spark 
Firing on two.

Post Re: 1-2-spark
Have you looked to see if it's possible to buy a socket for the IC that would have legs further apart?

May 20th, 2011, 11:47 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Ipgo,
maybe a pair of these would help?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 24&bih=677

or, if you win the lottery... ;)

http://www.leica-microsystems.com/produ ... ica-hm500/

ken.

lpgo wrote:
Still working on this one.

Did several attemps to solder tiny ic 4x6 mm with 16 legs on it
in techical language 1 leg each .635mm/ .025 inch. It's pretty f :evil: cking
nervwrecking.......

Looks easy at the internet but I can't do it. I need it for the VR sensor
to make a steady rpm signal.

May 20th, 2011, 8:48 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

My eyes are not the problem the problem is that my iron is to big..... so if I try to solder 1 leg I solder 2 or more, adding flux makes that the solder goes where it is needed and not where it wants to go.
look at this video
http://vimeo.com/10409711

Russ

May 20th, 2011, 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

OK now you got me interested, this is really going to make a difference! I like the idea a lot! I'll buy one (or more) 4 sure!

do you intend to combine it with an injectionsystem? that would really be interesting!

greetzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rusty

May 22nd, 2011, 8:26 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Rusty wrote:
OK now you got me interested, this is really going to make a difference! I like the idea a lot! I'll buy one (or more) 4 sure!
do you intend to combine it with an injectionsystem? that would really be interesting!
greetzzzzzzzzzzzz
Rusty

At the moment it is not happening at all, I still haven't a signal from the VR sensor (which detects the position of the crankshaft).

Tommorow my own specially designed PCB's will arrive, so I hope the VR sensor will work then....

In the moment I really don't want to think at injecton, but theoretical it is possible but the controller I'm using now isn't capable enough to do injection aswell, you need several tables (meaning much memory)

Russ

May 22nd, 2011, 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

lpgo wrote:
My eyes are not the problem the problem is that my iron is to big..... so if I try to solder 1 leg I solder 2 or more, adding flux makes that the solder goes where it is needed and not where it wants to go.
look at this video
http://vimeo.com/10409711

Surface-mounted IC! Errrggghhh! Can't you get a normal-pinned version or is space that tight?

I've looked at that video clip and don't rate the quality of the solder joints much, to be honest. The first 2 legs were done ok as he was pushing down on the chip so the legs sank into the solder and sat on the solder pads below. But he then went on and just 'tapped' each leg with the iron enough to melt the solder without pressing down on the chip - these legs did not sink down into the solder since the adjacent unsoldered legs were sitting high and dry on solid solder bumps so the chip wasn't able to push the pins down. Relying on lumps of solder to make your electrical connection ain't good practice - they have relatively high resistance, and are also prone to fatigue fractures.

How much 'springiness' is there in the legs? If some, then at least keep firm downwards pressure on the chip body so the leg being soldered drops down as soon as the solder under it has melted - this should be able to happen as the other legs will take have enough spring in them to allow the chip to be pressed fractionally down. In fact, if you do as the video shows and solder the two end legs and then do the other two end legs - pressing firmly down on the chip whist you do so, then the other legs in between should hopefully be under springy tension and should automatically 'pop' down as soon as the solder under each is melted.

Other than that, I guess the video's method should work ok - tinning the pads first with plenty of flux (bearing in mind you aren't adding any fresh flux as you solder the pins down). Failing that, file your iron tip to a pencil-tip diameter and give it a 45o 'flat', and buy some very fine fluxed solder!

May 23rd, 2011, 1:13 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

[quote="Devils Advocate
Surface-mounted IC! Errrggghhh! Can't you get a normal-pinned version or is space that tight? [/quote]

They make only these (everyone on internet tells this is the holy grail ) so there is no normal-pinned version.

Got myself .2mm tip .5mm solder, still waiting for my own designed PCB (with the right trails for the IC) hopefully it comes tommorow today it wasn't, first try to solder without flux, but when it goes wrong, I will try flux.

Russ

May 23rd, 2011, 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Have used these guys to mount SMT chips on a standard size IC socket.
About £3.00 per chip
http://eshop.tirnaelectronics.co.uk/ind ... ucts_id=17

May 24th, 2011, 11:36 am
Firing on two.

http://eshop.tirnaelectronics.co.uk/ind ... ducts_id=3
may need to re-design the pcb

For Information

From a weather station project..

6 pin SMT chip wave soldered on to a 6 pin dll socket.
Attachment:
smdchip.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May 24th, 2011, 3:08 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Ladies and gentlemen we got it!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqC6LIl4xB4

This is the first result of making my own ignition.... A 2cv idling on my selfmade ignition device!!!!!!!!

I used another inductive sensor amplifier and hey Presto I've got ignition......

So all the the PCB I had allready made can go to the trashbin.

Another advantage for the new amplefier I use is that it is easier to solder....

Russ

May 29th, 2011, 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 88  Next