View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dodgy Dualcarriageway experience..... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Dodgy Dualcarriageway experience.....
Typical roads where we live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxq9sOW_eW0
No 70 mph on these roads ;)

...Betsy...............Ellie...............Molly

April 21st, 2009, 11:24 pm
Profile YIM
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

+1 to that, Joe
( & Louise knows a heck of a lot more about cars than my daughter,

or my son... :) )

April 21st, 2009, 11:48 pm
lovin' the snatch

:) well my bro is 20 this year, he has no get up and go about him, he doesnt drive, or learn, or even have a provisional, he could hardly cope with riding a bike and seemed to buckle a wheel everytime he went out... somehow! so i got no idea how hes gna cope in the real world when something happens to his mod box cos hes gna end up with a saxo or 106.... something with electrical things that will go wrong!

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

April 22nd, 2009, 12:16 am
Firing on two.

Joe602 wrote:
russel... my muff was off! and the weather here in northampton was blooooody hot today! so i dont recon it could have been carb icing for 1 min! maybe half... but not a whole min :P one thing both my and my bro noticed while she was dying, was there was alot of heat coming into the car... A LOT MORE heat than normal! and she does kinda make a tiny weeny little tappety noise, my dad says its alright if it was tapping any louder or knocking then a deeper more thorough inspection would have happend already!

so i recon everyone whos said something blocked my carb jet, i recon your all right! i cant think of anything else that could explain it!

I'm with Louise on this one. It's sounding more like a partial seizure. Was there anything like a carrier bag or old newspaper flying about that could have got stuck over the grille at speed?

How clean's the oil cooler? Plenty of good clean oil?

April 22nd, 2009, 9:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Does sound a bit more like that to me too, Adrian.

Worth trying to work out what caused it, as well as what Adrian's said, are the heater dump tubes in place? Do you ever hear it pinking?

Possible the mixture's a bit lean. Spraying WD-40 around the carb whilst it's running should show up any air leaks with an increase in speed. Otherwise could be down to incorrect float heights or, like Ken's said, a weak fuel pump. I'm sure you said somewhere else that you got a Dyane engine with the car, is that what's in it? (or did I imagine that?)

April 24th, 2009, 8:39 pm
Firing on two.

Joe602 wrote:
still has a missfire, but nomatter how much i fiddle with the points, i still cant get the timing perfect, need to sort it with a strobe really :(

Tappity noise was that before the event?
Not going to be crap in the fuel tank thats an old chestnut !

sounds like a partial seizure/overheat what were the "good" compression readings your dad got?

Any flashing at the points when you run it with the points box open?

Sean

April 24th, 2009, 9:25 pm
lovin' the snatch

hey luke, yeah we got a "spare" dyane engine with the car, its not in the car thats a standard m28.. thats just sat on the floor with the box next to it... keep telling dad we need to try it soon!

and to sean, i havent had it running with the box open, just loose so i can tweak it and work out where it stops misfiring... however it doesnt.. she runs quicker and smoother here... or slower and lumpy there, but still the odd missfire when its as good as... errm i know they were around the middle of the green marker between, i remember him saying 150? im not too sure though, i always to the sat in the car turning it over with 2 feet on the floor till he says STOP bit :P

im sure its more of a problem of my carb jet blocking, as it blocked again earlier in the week, i can now feel when something happens to the carb because theres "resistance" on the pedal, and the secon i dip the clutch when pulling up she will just conk out... but once shes been caned for a few miles down the road she runs fine n sweetly purring.... need an inline fuel filter soon!

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

April 24th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Firing on two.

I had a similar experiance - ran out of fuel one night so filled up with a can from the back: kangeroo effect, no pwer etc.... so i guessed fuel starvation.

She ran fine for a day then all of a sudden , going down a duel carriage-way at 70 splutter/cough/kangaroo, etc....

I just about made it to mr soft-tops' place and we had a good look at the fuel lines, pump, etc... couldn't find a problem. Started her up an no problems since.

Not sure what it was... but I don't let the tank run dry anymore (my gauge doesn't work) so fill up every 200miles!

April 27th, 2009, 10:11 am
lovin' the snatch

havent been on the thread for a while....

i believe the problem is simply me pushing her a little too much and shes got too hot... ive sorted the timing out... was actually nothing todo with the points and the fact that the LT coil wires were fitted the wrong way.. swapped them over and she runs sweetly now! but going down the dually the othe day and was sat perfectly at 70 no problems... second i was flat on the floor for a few mins everything starts feeling a little rough and then the power loss... pulled over and gave her half a min just ticking over and got back on my way without any problems...

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

May 11th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Firing on two.

Joe602 wrote:
the LT coil wires were fitted the wrong way.. swapped them over and she runs sweetly now!

That shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

Quote:
but going down the dually the othe day and was sat perfectly at 70 no problems... second i was flat on the floor for a few mins everything starts feeling a little rough and then the power loss... pulled over and gave her half a min just ticking over and got back on my way without any problems...

That definitely sounds like overheating causing partial seizure.

You've not got the grille muff on?
The fan's present and intact?
The oil cooler's clean?
The oil's good quality and clean?
The bonnet sound proofing's not sagging and blocking the exits over the A-panels?

May 11th, 2009, 10:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next