View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dodgy Dualcarriageway experience..... 
lovin' the snatch

Post Dodgy Dualcarriageway experience.....
hope someone can help me please, i had abit of an iffy drive home after picking my bro up from work, i was late leavin so she got a caning there... literally once i was on the dually she stopped at 70+ till i had to come off, anyways, everything seemed fine, picked my bro up and got back on the dualy to come home, everything seemed fine, was happily sat at 70... and then all of a sudden she started loosing power, still had a few hundred yards togo till my offramp and she was dying, lost all power, i had to put my hazards on cos she started spluttering and wouldnt go anything above 35... then she started coughing and kanagrooing.... wasnt best pleased, and my bro who doesnt ecactly like 2cvs anyway... i couldnt work out whether he was more scared than embarresed.... is it her way of telling me i was going a little to fast for too long or have i done something alot more serious... she still seems a little fluffy, and shes leaking more oil now than what she was before... im just worried that i may have blown something, we did a compression test and theyre both up quite high and dad says the compression is fine... i had around 1/4 of a tank left at the time so i was unsure whether i had picked up something from the tank...

all replies are appreciated :)

many thanks Joe :)

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

April 21st, 2009, 8:28 pm
Field Plougher

Post Re: Dodgy Dualcarriageway experience.....
we've had fuel starvation issues like that - check pump and pipes

April 21st, 2009, 9:30 pm
lovin' the snatch

thanks louis, my dad reconed it may have been that too... i dont have an inline filter yet, will be fitting one on the chassis, before the pump! she seems alright now, she was actually ticking over better now than she had been before, still has a missfire, but nomatter how much i fiddle with the points, i still cant get the timing perfect, need to sort it with a strobe really, just havent got round to it :(

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

April 21st, 2009, 10:18 pm
Firing on two.

Just a thought, did you have your muff on?

Maybe carb icing, or a partial seizure?

April 21st, 2009, 10:28 pm
Firing on two.

I thought partial seizure, maybe. When you say leaking more oil, is it actually coming out over the floor or disappearing when you check the dipstick? If its the latter it might be burning where its getting past the rings.

However, I'm a girl so:

a) I wouldn't actually know

and

b) I always think the worst.

HTH

:mrgreen:

April 21st, 2009, 10:33 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Russell,
carb icing with the weather we had today? :lol:
Since the compression readings are still good ( and hopefully there isn't a tapping noise from the engine?) isn't it possible/probable that a 'flat out' run has either caused some crud in the fuel line to be dislodged and partially block a jet, or the fuel pump is a bit tired so that the amount of fuel delivered to the carb didn't keep up with fuel consumed?

ken

Russell wrote:
Just a thought, did you have your muff on?

Maybe carb icing, or a partial seizure?

April 21st, 2009, 10:38 pm
Firing on two.

See? :roll: ;)

April 21st, 2009, 10:40 pm
Firing on two.

*note to self: don't reply to technical threads*

April 21st, 2009, 10:43 pm
Firing on two.

May be fuel pump. I had a duff one on a previous 2cv and had very similar problems. The actuating arm gets worn and is unable to give the pump enough lift to provide the sufficent fuel with both chokes open.

April 21st, 2009, 11:01 pm
lovin' the snatch

lmao,

Louise... dont be so harsh on yourself!!

Girls are allowed to know stuff about cars!

c'mon - im gay, and my mum recons i shouldnt be up the unit working on cars cos i might hurt myself and bleed to death.. should have seen me today, was clinging onto the side of a rover, topping up the clutch oil while standing on the ramp leg holding the car 6foot in the air.. she would have flipped :P hehe anyways....

russel... my muff was off! and the weather here in northampton was blooooody hot today! so i dont recon it could have been carb icing for 1 min! maybe half... but not a whole min :P one thing both my and my bro noticed while she was dying, was there was alot of heat coming into the car... A LOT MORE heat than normal! and she does kinda make a tiny weeny little tappety noise, my dad says its alright if it was tapping any louder or knocking then a deeper more thorough inspection would have happend already!

oh and answer to louise! yes its leaking out the car, dad still hasnt got round to ordering my pushrod seal thingys or whatever they are called - the 2 with springy thigns under the cylinder, theyre down as pushrod seals on ecas, and she also has a minor leak from the crankshaft seal on the front as you can see it weeping out ever so much when the revs are high and the oil pressures up abit more.

and to ken! she normally does alright for flat out driving, ive driven much further down the dualy than i have today, completely flat out and a little stop each way and shes never had a problem before, so i recon everyone whos said something blocked my carb jet, i recon your all right! i cant think of anything else that could explain it!

obviously we were going alot slower than we were before, so the heats not getting forced out the big open roof like it normally is, which could explain the car feeling alot hotter, but then theres also the very dodgy smells me and my bro could smell,and the fact that she kangarooed for abit and then the power came back, the last time i had a carb jet problem she would run fine but the second the revs dropped she would cut out, try pulling upto a junction, dipping the clutch, breaking to stop and then trying to hold the revs at the same time... all good fun :P whereas this time, she lost all power, then started spluttering, then coughing and bouncing lurching around, then she started running alright after that!

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

April 21st, 2009, 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next