View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Dodgy Dualcarriageway experience..... 
lovin' the snatch

Post Re: Dodgy Dualcarriageway experience.....
toomany2cvs wrote:
That definitely sounds like overheating causing partial seizure.

You've not got the grille muff on?
The fan's present and intact?
The oil cooler's clean?
The oil's good quality and clean?
The bonnet sound proofing's not sagging and blocking the exits over the A-panels?

nope grill muff offf
yep fans intact and not loose...
oil coolers fine :)
shes got a minor leak so i check her each week and top up with brand new oil when needed...
and nope theres nothing sagging over the a-panel valences...

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

May 12th, 2009, 1:41 am
lovin' the snatch

sos for double posty but this is something i dont get

when my lt leads are one way round (blue then white) she has a constant missfire and ticks over really lumpy and you can still feel the missfire all through the rev range.... so when i swapped the lt leads (white then blue) she runs absolutely spot on... no missfire, obviously shes abit hesitant in the mornings when shes cold but after a couple of miles shes perfect (as my little angel always is :) ) i was under the assumption that becuase the coil fire is off the points it could have been "slightly off" when they are the wrong way? gahhh i dunno its just something i had thought up to make myself happy :P hehe

and yes lou deffo start a paranoid thread :D sounds great!!!!

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

May 12th, 2009, 1:53 am
Firing on two.

Joe602 wrote:
when my lt leads are one way round (blue then white) she has a constant missfire and ticks over really lumpy and you can still feel the missfire all through the rev range.... so when i swapped the lt leads (white then blue) she runs absolutely spot on... no missfire

What are the plugs like? I wonder if one of 'em is shagged out.

Quote:
i was under the assumption that becuase the coil fire is off the points it could have been "slightly off" when they are the wrong way? gahhh

The current flows around the primary windings of the coil in different directions according to the orientation of the LT wires. That has a similar effect on the current in the secondary windings. The current takes the same amount of time to fire, so the timing will be the same, it's just that it goes t'other way round...

May 12th, 2009, 8:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
lovin' the snatch

ahhh okay... well im leaving them this way round, and the plugs are fine as she had a full service after xmas!

new plugs, points + condensor, oil, filter(s) she gets topped up with fresh oil when needed due to a slight leak...

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

May 12th, 2009, 2:41 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Hi Jono,
afaik, there should be no problem with swapping the LT leads with electronic ignition installed, but in your case it's probably better to swap the plugs as they've been in for such a high mileage.
From what I've read, garages have been having trouble with plugs seizing into the cylinder heads in modern cars, because the extended life plugs fitted at the factory last so long.

ken
( Btw, your Dyane didn't half scamper up the hill out of Darley Dale, but I guess it's had years of practice. ;)
My old crate got stuck somewhere between 1st and 2nd gear with so much ballast on board. )

Jono wrote:

Thanks Ken - actually, I have swapped the plugs over so I know they're not seized.

Scamper? I was taking it easy!
Ken - can you still swap LT leads around if you're running an electronic ignition? My 2cv's done about 25,000 miles or so now on its iridium cored plugs; so, although it shows no signs of needing it whatsoever, perhaps I ought to swap the LTs round now (or better still, the plugs themselves - stop them seizing in).

May 12th, 2009, 8:03 pm
willy wonka

sounds like a partial seizure or maybe fuel or dodgey coil?
when my car engine seized it had been driven round a track and was having a hard time it was at a kart track the back end was all over the place! It was leaking oil then onto the brakes, it had always leaked oiled since what got it.. 20 mins late it was my turn and it siezed completely so bad the two front wheels where locking ad skidding against the tarmac.. sound like your car engine needs a rebuild is it firing on both sides?

May 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm
lovin' the snatch

yeah she runs absolutely fine! she doesnt miss a beat, i swapped the coil over with the one from the D*lly a last month at somepoint because the original one kept overheating and she wouldnt start after a long constant run down the dualy, but now shes fine :) its never completely seized, once it started feeling abit rough the first time everything got Very hot Very quickly, and the same happend the other week, everything started feeling very hot inside and then when i pulled over in the layby she ticked over fine...... i think she just likes puttering along under her own steam at 70 but anything over that for longer than a few mins she doesnt like!

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

May 13th, 2009, 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4