View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Tyres, Chassis, Oil and Tappets. (Argument thread) 
Post Re: Tyres, Chassis, Oil and Tappets. (Argument thread)
But then, I'm also aware of a handfull of local; late 2CVs that are still on their original, unwelded chassis. :o

Essentially, I don't think there was anything wrong or badly built about the Citroen chassis at any time in its life. It just wasn't rustproofed!

That hardly makes it a poor chassis does it?

March 19th, 2011, 8:40 am
Firing on two.

You are all wrong !!!

I disagree with everything said here and whilst I have no opinion at all on anything, just want you to all accept you are wrong and that .....oh....hang on....

......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlv_aZjHXc

March 19th, 2011, 8:53 am
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
Spanners once told me that as a child (yes, he was one once :lol: ), he had a Saturday morning job washing 2CVs at The Birmingham 2CV Centre, and one came in for a service and it's first MOT....It failed on chassis rot!!! The chassis was replaced under Citroen warranty........It's third replacement chassis since new!!!! Yes, you've read correctly, the car had a new chassis every year of it's first three years :o

You can blame Citroen for the first one. But the second and third? That's _entirely_ the fault of the chimps that fitted 'em.

Old-Nail wrote:
Jono wrote:
Citroen chassis only started being crap when they started making them out of crap. A bit like the rest of the car really.

And yet they did it. It's no use telling the British buying public that watched their chassis fizzle away in months that 'we used to make them better' or that 'you should live in Spain'. They beefed them up for PO, they should have done something for GB, no excuse.

The PO "beefing up" only stopped 'em bending in heavy use. That wasn't the problem here. The problem was rot, because they started to made 'em out of Tesco Value PikeyStripey baked bean tins instead of Heinz, then poured them full of salt water at the factory.

Last edited by toomany2cvs on March 19th, 2011, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2011, 9:18 am
Profile YIM WWW
toomany2cvs wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Spanners once told me that as a child (yes, he was one once :lol: ), he had a Saturday morning job washing 2CVs at The Birmingham 2CV Centre, and one came in for a service and it's first MOT....It failed on chassis rot!!! The chassis was replaced under Citroen warranty........It's third replacement chassis since new!!!! Yes, you've read correctly, the car had a new chassis every year of it's first three years :o

You can blame Citroen for the first one. But the second and third? That's _entirely_ the fault of the chimps that fitted 'em.

Unfortunately not Adrian.

You see, the owner was stubborn, as were Citroen and nobody would pay for any rustproofing. Seeing as the chassis were almost certainly starting to rust anyway.......

When it had its 3rd replacement (4th overall) chassis, the owner relented and had it thoroughly rustproofed and, last I knew, it was still running around-totally rust and welding free.

March 19th, 2011, 9:24 am
Firing on two.

My 2CV is on its' original chassis.

At some stage Citroen offered an optional 6 year anti corrosion guarantee which required the car to be treated with the Tuff-Kote Dinol system. Mine had this treatment.

I have the guarantee booklet. It supposedly had its initial treatment at the 'New Vehicle Preparation Centre' at Calais.

It then had a retreatment after one year (which you paid for) which mine received. A second reteatment should have been carried out at 4 years, but it looks as though mine did not get this.

The chassis has survived well. Just one small piece of welding. I have thumped the bottom and don't hear lots of dancing rust flakes, so hope it will do for a few more years.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

March 19th, 2011, 11:06 am
Firing on two.

knightley wrote:
At some stage Citroen offered an optional 6 year anti corrosion guarantee which required the car to be treated with the Tuff-Kote Dinol system. Mine had this treatment.

It wasn't optional, it was standard - but required (paid-for) inspections at intervals after purchase.

Quote:
The chassis has survived well. Just one small piece of welding. I have thumped the bottom and don't hear lots of dancing rust flakes, so hope it will do for a few more years.

I think I recall Pete Abbott telling, probably in the late '90s, of a car he had in. The chassis looked perfect externally, yet had folded in the classic corroded manner & place. When it came off, it could almost be folded in on itself, since the tin was so thin and weak.

March 19th, 2011, 11:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Aircooled Idiot

samfieldhouse wrote:
Old-Nail wrote:
SLC chassis. Citroen's are crap, otherwise there would be no 'SLC Chassis'.
Shocking the fan is - shocking, but patience is harder to do.

I heart my 2cv City Chassis

Jono wrote:
Acadianes with 2cv fronts should be pushed off the nearest cliff.

2cv fronted Acads = HOT

sam recently i have begun to question your, keeping within manylhood, as i make you regularly aware, even your Gf has begun to agree with me ;)
im now moving on to questioning sanity on reading that particular comment to which im not going to make it clear which one im aiming at ;) ;)
this thread is going to be a giggle!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

March 19th, 2011, 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Aircooled Idiot

spanners wrote:
But then, I'm also aware of a handfull of local; late 2CVs that are still on their original, unwelded chassis. :o

Essentially, I don't think there was anything wrong or badly built about the Citroen chassis at any time in its life. It just wasn't rustproofed!

That hardly makes it a poor chassis does it?

mines on its original
un welded
only one spot of rust, surface, which one will attack soon, i want to get the crane at work and life the car in the air so i can do the work on the chassis easily :D

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

March 19th, 2011, 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

My first 2cv was literally a one lady owner from new. It had every receipt in it's history file, including one for a re-chassis under warranty at three years old!

Even today when you see an ad for a 2cv for sale and it says 'original chassis' there's always something inside that says Aaaawww. My contention is that the chassis might have been made from heavier gauge steel for the uk market, or at the very least treated with something. A product must be fit for purpose, and for driving on salty roads it clearly wasn't.

And for that I blame Citroen, they were very naughty boys.

March 19th, 2011, 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:

It wasn't optional, it was standard - but required (paid-for) inspections at intervals after purchase.

Well, it says 'optional' on the guarantee booklet.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

March 19th, 2011, 11:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next