View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Tyres, Chassis, Oil and Tappets. (Argument thread) 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Tyres, Chassis, Oil and Tappets. (Argument thread)
Jameswallace wrote:
I wouldn't put anything but a 135 on my car.

That's because you've never driven on 145s ;)

ken wrote:
p.s. Have you checked the tracking, including that wonky n/s/r often found on Portuguese-built cars? :lol:

Is that curable without changing an arm? I'm forever moving tyres around on the D*lly :roll:

June 15th, 2012, 12:26 pm
Firing on two.

yes you need an old rim with a length of scaffold pole welded on it and a bit of grunt.

June 15th, 2012, 2:25 pm
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
I want to argue too. :twisted:
No tires fitted to 2cv are meant for this (race)treatment. Doesn't matter what you fit.

So what do you suggest?

June 15th, 2012, 9:05 pm
viking bastard

All our cars including raids cars are fitted with Michelin 135/15 S+M sommer and winter.
Nothing comes close to these tires.
Racing is somewhat different

Attachment:
PC030127.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

June 15th, 2012, 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

But what would you suggest for racing?

June 15th, 2012, 9:56 pm
viking bastard

I've only done 2cv cross many years ago, so no knowledge in racing on sealed tracks. I would think any low profil slicks 145's could done the job, semi soft compound.

June 15th, 2012, 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
No, because they lose grip and you have a crash long before that. Whilst I've had plenty of practice, I'm not a fan of slithering off the road into ditches/parked cars/nuns etc. you can improve on the grip a Toyo* gives by simply removing it from the wheel and driving round without it. The result is much the same.

You're welcome to the five 125 michelins taken off my car yesterday - the oldest was six years old and all had plenty of tread left. But all were cracking, some dangerously and on three the tread was separating from the side wall. This is on a car driven 3000miles a year, garaged and with UV gel tyre cleaner used regularly. I've never previously bought anything but michelin, but they are nowhere near the quality they should be any more. I'd happily buy new michelins but not if they're going to fall apart in two years' time.

I've had a set of 135 toyos fitted - so far no squealing or slithering round roundabouts. Time will tell I suppose, but if whole set lasts five years and 15,000miles they'll have done a far sight better than the michelins. And at a third the price.

On my C5 I also fitted only michelins but two of those were also starting to perish after only 20,000miles and two years. The ones fitted to my CX from 2001 lasted over 70,000miles and were perfect when I sold it in 2006.

June 19th, 2012, 10:51 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Richard,
that's interesting (or should it be depressing) information. :(

I've just replaced a set of original Michelins on a 12,000 mile 2CV, registered in 1989 and dry stored for 20 years.
I'd guess that the car was stored in the dark and with the wheels off the ground, as none of those tyres showed any sign of cracking or other deterioration, but the customer decided that he wanted them replaced.

ken
( The set provided quite a useful indicator of the rate of wear, with the fronts down to 4.5mm and the rears on 6mm. )

richardmorris wrote:
You're welcome to the five 125 michelins taken off my car yesterday - the oldest was six years old and all had plenty of tread left. But all were cracking, some dangerously and on three the tread was separating from the side wall. This is on a car driven 3000miles a year, garaged and with UV gel tyre cleaner used regularly. I've never previously bought anything but michelin, but they are nowhere near the quality they should be any more. I'd happily buy new michelins but not if they're going to fall apart in two years' time.

I've had a set of 135 toyos fitted - so far no squealing or slithering round roundabouts. Time will tell I suppose, but if whole set lasts five years and 15,000miles they'll have done a far sight better than the michelins. And at a third the price.

On my C5 I also fitted only michelins but two of those were also starting to perish after only 20,000miles and two years. The ones fitted to my CX from 2001 lasted over 70,000miles and were perfect when I sold it in 2006.

Last edited by ken on June 19th, 2012, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2012, 11:42 am
Firing on two.

Quote:
You're welcome to the five 125 michelins taken off my car yesterday

If any of them are less than five years old then take them back to where you got them from and ask them to send them back to Michelin under claim.

The structure of any car tyre is guaranteed to last for five years or for the life of the tread, whichever comes sooner.

I sent two back to Michelin recently (via Vintage Tyre Supplies) which were cracking badly after three years and got 50% back from them (bought one replacement tyre but they supplied two).

I suppose Michelin won't know there's a problem unless they get some back.

June 19th, 2012, 10:05 pm
Firing on two.

Lenny wrote:
Quote:
You're welcome to the five 125 michelins taken off my car yesterday

If any of them are less than five years old then take them back to where you got them from and ask them to send them back to Michelin under claim.

The structure of any car tyre is guaranteed to last for five years or for the life of the tread, whichever comes sooner.

I sent two back to Michelin recently (via Vintage Tyre Supplies) which were cracking badly after three years and got 50% back from them (bought one replacement tyre but they supplied two).

I suppose Michelin won't know there's a problem unless they get some back.

The one less than five is the one we kept on a spare rim. The others were all six. My issue is that they didn't used to crack at all, but michelin are still charging premium money for a sub-standard product.

The tyres came from ecas when they had a wheel+tyre offer for what looks now like a ridiculously cheap amount.

June 20th, 2012, 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next