View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Tyres, Chassis, Oil and Tappets. (Argument thread) 

Post Re: Tyres, Chassis, Oil and Tappets. (Argument thread)
couldn't afford michellins so ended up with 5x NANKANGS 135/80/15 for £185 delivered
bought magnatec 10/40 whilst on offer and thought that would be better for the winter plus engine must be getting tired now at 118k so don't think it matters really what goes in so long as it gets dropped every 6k or sooner?
and unless i can afford a mechanic the tappets will stay as they are :lol: engine that damned noisy doubt if wife would notice :roll:

October 31st, 2012, 10:37 pm
Firing on two.

You don't need a mechanic to adjust tappets. Rhythm Thief's thread tells you how to do it.

October 31st, 2012, 11:00 pm
Firing on two.

The original engine in my current 2CV got to 205 thousand without difficulty. When I had a new clutch fitted last year the decision was made to drop in a 'slag' engine and to strip the original one to see what (if anything) needs replacing. I'm still waiting for Spanners to start the work ;)

November 1st, 2012, 1:19 am
Aircooled Idiot

Jonathan wrote:
The original engine in my current 2CV got to 205 thousand without difficulty. When I had a new clutch fitted last year the decision was made to drop in a 'slag' engine and to strip the original one to see what (if anything) needs replacing. I'm still waiting for Spanners to start the work ;)

Funny that. Just the ther day i was going to ask if you where still sporting the slag. !

As for the tappets, most mechanics wont know how to do them properly (modern day mind!)

Easy, so so so easy!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

November 1st, 2012, 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I see that tyres are going to be rated for grip/noise/durability etc, by the government. Be keen to see how the Mich and Toyos compare under this new system :geek:

November 1st, 2012, 10:58 am
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:

Similar situation for mine, although it's me that hasn't started the work yet! :oops:

November 1st, 2012, 11:00 am
Firing on two.

Jameswallace wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Funny that. Just the ther day i was going to ask if you where still sporting the slag. !

As for the tappets, most mechanics wont know how to do them properly (modern day mind!)

Easy, so so so easy!

Most mechanics are fitters these days and wouldn't even know what you're talking about, probably the hardest thing is taking off wings :lol:

November 1st, 2012, 11:55 am
Firing on two.

myothercaristhewifes wrote:
couldn't afford michellins so ended up with 5x NANKANGS 135/80/15 for £185 delivered
bought magnatec 10/40 whilst on offer and thought that would be better for the winter plus engine must be getting tired now at 118k so don't think it matters really what goes in so long as it gets dropped every 6k or sooner?
and unless i can afford a mechanic the tappets will stay as they are :lol: engine that damned noisy doubt if wife would notice :roll:

Where did you get your Nankangs? I had them for a while, they were amazing in mud, snow and on green lanes but 10,000 miles on tarmac turned them slick :roll:

November 5th, 2012, 1:43 pm
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
Nankangs available from www.mytyres.co.uk

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... P&dsco=110

November 5th, 2012, 2:27 pm

having a senior moment as hadn't realised i had already posted this reply :lol: :lol: :lol: couldn't afford fancy tyres so got - 5 x NANKANGS 135/80/15 for £185 delivered
sourced tyres through http://www.tcstyres.co.uk/ quick response too

used magnatec 10/40 engine oil as on offer at the time and wondered if the claims for cold starting were true?

one thing i have noticed is that when we bought the car the engine would accelerate slowly but evenly but seemed to have a definite surge as the pedal was pushed down over half way BUT it went for a new clutch and king pins to be fitted and since engine has been out it appears to run what i can only describe as flat as the surge bit has disappeared - any ideas?
it also struggles on the motorway on certain hills which it didn't before :roll:

November 5th, 2012, 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next