View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Starting trouble! 

Post Starting trouble!
Hi Friends,

Now, this happens to me all the time. If I do not start my car for more than a week, she doesn't start. Finally, the engine goes rich, and the spark plug needs to be removed and cleaned. This usually happens only on one cylinder.

I have changed the ignition to new electronic ignition
I have changed the plugs
I have changed the coil.

The only thing I haven't changed are the HT leads. Do these leads lead to serious problems, literally?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

April 15th, 2009, 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Starting trouble!
I am no expert, but, if it's only after leaving it for a week I'd suspect the battery is shot. Will it start when jumped from another car? Try charging the battery up before you start it next time and see if that's the cause. I think you can get a situation whereby the starter robs all the power from the coil, so it'll spin over fine but won't actually fire.

April 15th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Thanks, Russell!

I have, many times charged up the battery and then gone about starting the car, but I have the same problem. Once she is started up, and if I keep her started every other day, then there is not much of a problem. It is only after the time lag...

Regards,

Steve

April 16th, 2009, 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
I think you can get a situation whereby the starter robs all the power from the coil, so it'll spin over fine but won't actually fire.

You can - especially with electronic ignition - but this doesn't sound like it.

Odd as it sounds, it could be the fuel pump. I've certainly had 'em where the non-return's gone south and over time the pump's drained dry back to the tank.

April 16th, 2009, 9:01 am
Profile YIM WWW

Hi!

I had earlier written a post about my faulty fuel pump, which does not pump effectively while the engine is heated (vapour lock?).

In this case, seems like it is pumping initially, since the engine is getting rich. That's why I had not suspected the fuel pump. But if you feel it is the fuel pump, then fuel pump it could be....

Steve

April 16th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
willy wonka

Try putting damp start straight into the carb?
Has the 123 been put on correctly? did it not start when you had points?

April 26th, 2009, 8:19 pm
Firing on two.

Steven wrote:
Hi!
I had earlier written a post about my faulty fuel pump, which does not pump effectively while the engine is heated (vapour lock?).
Steve

"Vapour lock" is a myth with the 2cv
if you have not replaced the rubber parts of the fuel pipe they may well have become brittle and cracked allowing the pump to draw air
or you have an old coil

Presume that all the electric leads between battery and starter are good and the ignition contact drum ok?
as its only one cylinder id look at tappets too

proper "bougicords" seem to last for ever

Finally the only on one Cyl sounds like a problem people were having when their 123 was dying
how is it with NEW points and cond?
Sean

Oh Bangalore! whats the quality of the fuel like what is ambient temp? if its up in the +40*c it certainly wont need choke and starting is dip clutch dont touch the gas and churn away for ages untill it falters to life

April 26th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your response. My 123 ignition is brand new, and I changed it because I was having problems with my old points on, too.

In Bangalore, we use unleaded petrol. The temperature does not go above 40*. Bangalore has rather good weather, maximising during the hottest summer to about 35*C.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Steve.

April 27th, 2009, 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

If you get down to the stage of needing to replace the HT leads or coil, I would suggest getting a Harley coil from ECAS, which comes with the best HT leads you could wish for. The HT leads are just the right size, which means they go straight from the coil to the spark plugs, over the cylinder, NOT near the headlight frame or mudguard (ie not near ANY metal). That should solve coil/HT problems for a very long time.

Daffy Duck

April 29th, 2009, 1:50 pm
Firing on two.

Daffy Duck wrote:
If you get down to the stage of needing to replace the HT leads or coil, I would suggest getting a Harley coil from ECAS, which comes with the best HT leads you could wish for. The HT leads are just the right size, which means they go straight from the coil to the spark plugs, over the cylinder, NOT near the headlight frame or mudguard (ie not near ANY metal). That should solve coil/HT problems for a very long time.

Daffy Duck

Hype! a good Argy wound coil and bougichords will give years of service as long as you dont leave the ignition on all night :oops: A yellow coil wont solve any underlying timing tappet or compression issues

trouble is many people are trundling round on a coil that is at least 20 odd years old

Sean

April 29th, 2009, 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next