View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dyane is Dying! 
gym bunny

Post Dyane is Dying!
Sarah rang on Friday saying her car was making a banging/tappy noise and that she had stopped and what should she do. I drove straight round from work and had a look. Sounds like tappets or vavle gear noise but after driving it carefully back home and checking both sides this all appears fine. The noise is coming from only one side really.
got my dad round to listen and he said it sounded noisey but nothing too horrible. Car starts easily no smoke on start up either.

We both decided to take it for a drive, kill it or cure it!

well.. after setting off noisy and tappy driving it like i would normally we got along the road abit and it went normal noise, and drove fine. tried various speeds, loads etc. went up a hill and it made the noise again under load then it stayed for abit before going again. gave it some stick along the lanes and it was fine, quick, perky etc... decided to do another run around and head out towards the country. all went ok then as we went along it felt hesitant and jumpy, then the noise came followed by smoke from the zorst! noise went away and came back for various parts of the journey home but now it smokes everytime you let off the throttle. it also cut out at a junction and wouldnt restart until it was left a while then it only started with no air filter on it and alot of persuasion.

got the car home and had a quick look over the mauals to see... doing a compression test on it tomorrow but i think its not a quick fix job.

Any ideas?

Sarah looks after it, doesnt thrash damage it, checks and changes oil enough and its on 123.

Anyone got a spare decent engine for sale? sarah wont let me fit a 1220 or anyone got a cheap 2cv car thats about to fail an mot but can still be driven?

I would insure her on mine but she wont drive the xantia and she isnt 25yo for the others!

cheers

TIM

February 28th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

Post Re: Dyane is Dying!
May have a very good engine think its done 40,000 K, I will check with my friend to make sure he has no 'plans' for it. I will let you know

February 28th, 2009, 10:28 pm
gym bunny

Thanks, cheers!

February 28th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Profile WWW

Not put any diesel in the fuel tank by mistake?

March 1st, 2009, 1:07 am
gym bunny

dont think so Mark. Sarah is usually very good with her car and has never used a deisel. will check !

March 1st, 2009, 1:22 am
Profile WWW

It's just a thought; check something obvious before ripping the engine out! It's so easy to put the wrong fuel in, and if you only put a small amount of diesel in, I suppose it could cause the symptoms described if mixed with a reasonable amount of petrol.

March 1st, 2009, 1:29 am
gym bunny

engine changed and all seems good so far. awaiting day light and time before final fetling can happen.

cheers to all for suggestions etc. I will take the other engine to bits and see whats happened. I think it likely to be something like a broken ring but will see when i get chance!

Thanks

TIM

March 1st, 2009, 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]