View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 3pt rear seat belts 
Firing on two.

Post 3pt rear seat belts
I want to fit 3pt inertia reel seat belts in my 2cv, any thoughts on how to mount them? I was thinking of mounting the reels on a steel box section bolted to the chassis or tank saddle and through the inner wings. The upper mounts I was going to make up some sort of welded-in bracket spanning the rear window. I can't see anywhere else to put it.

Anything I need to consider? I'm not one of these fairy types scared to fit my own seatbelts, I'm pretty sure a reasonably intelligent installation of 3pt belts is better than lap belts or no belts. I'm pretty keen to avoid wasting time doing something daft that's potentially avoidable.

February 27th, 2015, 1:06 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: 3pt rear seat belts
You could take the upper mount from the top of the rear inner wing, down amoung the wing mounting bolts - a low mount as in open sports cars (MG Midget etc.) which might be stronger. If it's for holding the kids in a low top mount might be an advantage as it would prevent them, or baby seat, going upwards....?

February 27th, 2015, 1:35 am
Firing on two.

If I ever get my Dyane on the road I'll need to do this, as well. I was also thinking about spanning the rear window, as it looks to me like the ideal spot for the third mounting is pretty much in the middle of the glass! The shape of the Dyane's C-pillar looks to me like it would lend itself to this slightly better than a 2CV, but I reckon you're on the right track. I'm also considering beefing up the rear roof crossmember, to try and stop the bodysides being pulled inwards in an accident.

February 27th, 2015, 11:28 am
Firing on two.

Seem to remember Patch's car has something similar to what your describing, it's in the 'Your A-series' section.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3616&start=20

February 27th, 2015, 1:36 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks, I don't remember seeing Patricks cars seatbelts before. I intended to fabricate something to span only the window frame area, not down to the inner wing like that, I'm not sure I'm keen on how that mounts to the inner wing itself. However, the mounting if the reel is exactly what I had in mind. I tend to remove the rear seats often for work so an intrusive bar like the Dutch car isn't really much good to me but I think in an ideal world I'd prefer the harnesses to intertia reels. I'll get hold of some belts and knock something together when I'm back at work next week.

February 27th, 2015, 8:17 pm
Firing on two.

Ah, I'm planning to go from the c-post/door frame, to the roof rail, without actually touching the window frame itself at all.

February 27th, 2015, 10:13 pm
Firing on two.

Am I right in thinking the threads are 7/16unf like everything else, or are they typically citroen and some queer size? I'll get some threaded inserts to go in my top mounts.

February 27th, 2015, 10:34 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Yep, 7/16 UNF, even on those 'Citreon type' things... ;)

Just buy some nuts, I've welded close to 900 of the blighters in place so far.

Russell wrote:
Am I right in thinking the threads are 7/16unf like everything else, or are they typically citroen and some queer size? I'll get some threaded inserts to go in my top mounts.

February 27th, 2015, 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]