View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2cv engines in bikes 
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Post Re: 2cv engines in bikes
Roger V wrote:
I used to own a ural in my youth.

Mine did not have a sidecar. I found out the hard way, why they were originally fitted with sidecars! ... apart from ploughing ...

My first attempt at overtaking a car resulted in me not being able to pull back in front of it and left me stranded on the wrong side of the road with a fast approaching car flashing his headlights.

I could only pull in when I decelerated ..... This left me feet away from the vehicle I was overtaking.

Turned out to be the gyroscopic effect of the flywheel.

Would 2CV engined bikes suffer from this?

Never hear of this one, driving Moto Guzzi.... and how about milions of Beamer boxers!!!

Russ

April 9th, 2013, 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Hmmm....not sure about that "gyroscopic"thing....I've owned and driven wartime zundapp outfits, beemers an :lol: d I've owned a Chang Jiang, (r71 copy) a m72 ural and the two wheel drive Dnepr...only sold it a few months ago :-( and I have to say the eastern block stuff handles worse than the BMW stuff, they are pigs really, but I have never heard or felt that effect....i've rebuilt a Dnepr box and I don't believe the revs or torque or flywheel size would be enough to cause that problem........even at full revs in neutral there's not any effect...I have started a 750 lump sat on the floor and it didn't hop about....so, I doubt it.

They just don't corner at speed...simples

Good workout though...:-)

'87 2CV Special,'78 AMI 8,'52 Anglia, '71 Capri 3000E, '67 Ford Fairlane 500 V8, '69 Ford Torino V8,'99 Xsara,'28 Ford Model A Tudor, '82 G Wagon, '68 LWB SII Landy and some manky renault Meganes.....also Ukranian KMZ MB750, Suzuki TS100,Mobylette.

April 9th, 2013, 12:49 pm
Firing on two.

Hi Ipgo and Macabry

I can't say why that bike in particular was so bad ... perhaps the weight of the flywheel is relevant. I used to have a Honda CX500. On this bike the effect was engineered out, by adding a large counter rotating clutch. On my current bike, a BMW K100, there is no such counter balance .... except perhaps the drive shaft, and the effect is minimal on this bike.

I'm not saying a 2CV engine based bike would suffer, just be cautious and avoid that brown trouser moment :D

April 9th, 2013, 12:56 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Another interesting feature of these bikes (and the Guzzis) is that the crank is positioned longitudinally and there is a torque reaction when you blip the throttle and increase rpms suddenly. The bikes leans to the right if you do that! It's funny but you get used to it quickly.
The advantage is that the gyroscopic effect generated by the crank, is at 90 deg to the axis of the bike and thus you don't fight against it when you lean in a curve. The only gyroscopic effect keeping the bike to its course is from the wheels, and this is the reason why the BMW Rs are so flickable compared to the size and weight. You must ride such a bike to feel this for yourself. These bikes are really easy to ride and can sometimes surprise other riders in the right twisties with the right rider!

From my own experience of running a Sunbeam S7, it's only under hard acceleration or deceleration that the torque reaction of the spinning engine and flywheel become a problem.
Changing up into 2nd at high rpm in 1st would result in the machine trying to squirm sideways underneath you, which wasn't much fun given the lack of grip from the tyres back then... :lol:

April 9th, 2013, 3:07 pm
Firing on two.

"wasn't much fun given the lack of grip from the tyres back then... "

Avon 500/16 roadmasters look bloody lovely though... :D

'87 2CV Special,'78 AMI 8,'52 Anglia, '71 Capri 3000E, '67 Ford Fairlane 500 V8, '69 Ford Torino V8,'99 Xsara,'28 Ford Model A Tudor, '82 G Wagon, '68 LWB SII Landy and some manky renault Meganes.....also Ukranian KMZ MB750, Suzuki TS100,Mobylette.

April 9th, 2013, 3:36 pm
Firing on two.

speaking of Sunbeam S7s...

April 9th, 2013, 4:24 pm
Firing on two.

Now that really IS a neat engine transplant!

April 9th, 2013, 4:44 pm
Firing on two.

Those bikes are beautiful, i've got an s7 tank on a bobber project of mine...really are beautiful bikes.
Interesting design history too, the design was originally supposed to use a boxer style engine as the the s7 design concept was partly taken from zundapp as war reparations...apparently sunbeam thought the boxer engine looked too "German" so the went with the infamous overheating and oil leaking twin instead...:-)

Kinda looks good with the boxer though...

April 9th, 2013, 5:58 pm
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
Hi Ipgo and Macabry

I can't say why that bike in particular was so bad ... perhaps the weight of the flywheel is relevant. I used to have a Honda CX500. On this bike the effect was engineered out, by adding a large counter rotating clutch. On my current bike, a BMW K100, there is no such counter balance .... except perhaps the drive shaft, and the effect is minimal on this bike.

I'm not saying a 2CV engine based bike would suffer, just be cautious and avoid that brown trouser moment :D

Having ridden BMW flat twins from 500cc Earles fork models right upto the 1100cc variations,as my own bike s and police models,I've never had any odd handling problems caused by the rotating mass of the flywheel.Ok you can feel it when stationery blipping the throttle,where you get a slight roll left to right,but not much else.

I have to differ with you Roger over the K100 layout as the crank drives the clutch and flywheel via a split gear, the mass of the rotating masses are cancelled out,by the counter rotation of the two. At least thats the theory. Oddly enough the RS and RT model had isolastic engine mountings in an attempt to make them smoother. Having owned both the basic K and an RT I don't think it was over succesfull.I found the RT had a high frequency vibration that you could feel through the saddle,this on both my own and job bikes.

April 11th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Firing on two.

DSCF4802 by 2steamhorses(Bob), on Flickr

This is a French built outfit with a GS engine.

April 11th, 2013, 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next