View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 King pin tools 
Firing on two.

Post Re: King pin tools
Re some grease coming out t'top cap, isn't this actually desirable? If the top cap was completely air-tight, how would the grease make its way up there - to do so the fresh grease needs to displace what's already there and can surely only do that if the old stuff has an 'exit' route?!

February 23rd, 2011, 5:54 pm
viking bastard

Devils Advocate wrote:
Re some grease coming out t'top cap, isn't this actually desirable? If the top cap was completely air-tight, how would the grease make its way up there - to do so the fresh grease needs to displace what's already there and can surely only do that if the old stuff has an 'exit' route?!

Air tight I think is not possible. The king pin is hollow so the grease travel up the middle to the grease cap. When the grease meet some resistance, it is pushed out through the king pin holes supplying the grease right around the top and bottom bush continuing out where it can, normally between the arm and the hub. Clever design really.

February 23rd, 2011, 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
The ones holding the grease back are sealed with dirt and rust over a period of 20+ years. Small amount of grease coming out is OK. Seen many attempts to seal the cap like welding the cap, blocking the top inside of the pin and peening the whole edge and so on, pointless really.

Trying to dig one out like that at the moment :evil:

February 25th, 2011, 8:00 pm
Spellin Bea

Just like to say that this was a HUGE help for me today, as managed to replace one side being a complete novice :D

March 25th, 2011, 11:55 pm
viking bastard

George wrote:
Just like to say that this was a HUGE help for me today, as managed to replace one side being a complete novice :D

Thanks for your positive feedback. I’m glad it worked for you even being a novice.
The whole point is exactly ‘’how to replace a king pin’’
A petty that the 2cv school (doing other jobs) was killed by so many sceptics.

March 26th, 2011, 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
George wrote:

Thanks for your positive feedback. I’m glad it worked for you even being a novice.
The whole point is exactly ‘’how to replace a king pin’’
A petty that the 2cv school (doing other jobs) was killed by so many sceptics.

+1 'tis a shame indeed!

March 26th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Firing on two.

Just done my D*lly's king pins - removing/replacing the pins couldn't have been done using a drift - very tight indeed. Used the "special tool" as shown in the Haynes manual pg 129. Didn't employ freezing the new pin or applying heat to the arm. Thanks to Viking B for his series of pictures & advice.

March 30th, 2011, 12:27 am
Firing on two.

Changed another one today, this one was much stickier to get out! Have to say, I can't believe the difference i makes, she feels amazing to drive now. Just lovely. Thanks again Viking :D

June 19th, 2011, 2:11 am
Firing on two.

Devils Advocate wrote:

I know this is a fairly oldish post but very informative, I was just browsing and not having had the pleasure of replacing mine as yet. I understand they'd been done when I first had the car,having greased them on a regular basis, after 30,000 miles she's just past her 3rd MOT with me without ant problems. I do have a little more play in one side my MOT man only said it's inherent with 2CV's, as mine is not the only one they test I'm not worried.But having considered the replacement I was wondering if anyone has ever put a few turns of PTF tape around the welch plug before banging it home,as a way of sealing the joint from both escaping grease and water ingress. :P

April 18th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Firing on two.

hi all, i replaced both k/pins 2 weeks ago the pictures and method is exellent , the welch plug leaked a bit of grease , so maybye the ptfe tape idea is worth a try :idea:
i did the steering rod ends too one side was totally worn out, dry as a bone, and one of the cups had half of it missing! it wasn,t even mentioned on the mot failure list :shock: don,t forget there mneeds to be a rubber cover fitted over the steering ends for the mot now!--
i got all the parts from burtons

April 28th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next