View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 30th, 2024, 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Best paint & rust proof? 
Post Re: Best paint & rust proof?
The idea of a forum (or so I thought) is somewhere to share thoughts, information, advice etc.

Yes, you can look stuff up for yourselves and also, you can ask for peoples personal recommendations.

February 24th, 2010, 10:47 pm
Firing on two.

Behold, the miracle that is this "Internet" machine thing enables us to buy stuff without having to leave the comfort of our armchairs. Try this one:
http://www.jawel.co.uk/
Based in the Midlands. They've never let me down, and they'll mix up any colour under the spectrum and send it to you post haste.
And no, I don't work for them, own any shares in them, or have a wife who is the heiress to their fortune, or anything like that...

February 24th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Old Bloke

I see Jonolite is still made see
http://www.jenolite.com/shopping_cart_j ... motive.htm

Unless its changed a lot over the years, this is an excellent product if used correctly and will retard rust much better than most other off the shelf products. It even worth dabbing a bit one where you are scraped/rubbed off all visible rust.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

February 24th, 2010, 10:56 pm
My Dad swears by Jenolite (sample quote "Jenolite is f**king brilliant"....see I wasn't lying).....and he drives/loves/restores MGB's, so he and rust have long been acquainted.........
:D

February 24th, 2010, 10:59 pm
Old Bloke

BrianDamaged wrote:
My Dad swears by Jenolite (sample quote "Jenolite is f**king brilliant"....see I wasn't lying).....and he drives/loves/restores MGB's, so he and rust have long been acquainted.........
:D

My regards to your Dad, a fellow Jenolite fan... must start a forum.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

February 24th, 2010, 11:01 pm
super slot

Paul Narramore wrote:
Justint wrote:
To be honest though I am not sure what or how to find a paint factor shop.

FFS Justin, Don't you have Yellow Pages in Norwich?

Paul,

If Justin approached you & asked the same question at your local club meeting, would your response start with 'For F*ck's sake'?

February 24th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Neil wrote:
Paul Narramore wrote:
Justint wrote:
To be honest though I am not sure what or how to find a paint factor shop.

FFS Justin, Don't you have Yellow Pages in Norwich?

Paul,

If Justin approached you & asked the same question at your local club meeting, would your response start with 'For F*ck's sake'?

I really did never think of the yellow pages until metioned here :roll: but I would never have thought of Wilco 4 sure. I think I have got used to all 2CV stuff being a little obscure that I failed to go back to basics :) also I genuinely didn't know that a paint matching sevice existed :shock: :lol: I was thinking that ordering the £30 spray can or a respay were the only options, silly me. :roll:

Neil wrote:
Paul,

Yes just call me "Trigger" :lol: :roll:

February 25th, 2010, 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

As it happens I did use POR15 plus the degreaser and etching spray. When I rechassised Amélie, I couldn't just leave the suspension untouched and had thought of the usual Black Smooth Hammerite. However after years of using the stuff, and it's pretty good, but it does chip a bit too much for my liking. I've used it a lot on my motorcycles for such things as the centre and side stands or the rear swinging arms, where they get a bit of blasting from road grit. Well after wire brushing off the rust and dirt from the 2CV suspension (arms, canisters, etc) I followed the advice for the metal cleaning and etching to the letter before giving everything two coats of the POR15. The first thing I noticed is that the American-made product has the most impossible lid to it's tin I've come across. After fifteen minutes of levering, I got the lid off, but it then resembled a crumpled milk bottle top. The paint flowed on really well, unlike the treacly Hammerite, and after two coats, the suspension looked like black glass. The paint in the tin formed a crust overnight and after a week had to be thrown away. However the results were excellent and I'd use it again.

Is that better? ;)

February 25th, 2010, 11:33 am
Firing on two.

FFS!

February 25th, 2010, 12:13 pm
Firing on two.

Paul Narramore wrote:
The paint in the tin formed a crust overnight and after a week had to be thrown away.

And, just in case we forget, this stuff is £20 for half a litre...

February 25th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next