View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 30th, 2024, 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 More wiring help please. 
Firing on two.

Post More wiring help please.
Today I have refitted my headlamp wires, and wired up the main light switch as it was originally. having read through some of the other threads the next job will be to rid myself of the dim/dip arrangement, but before I do can anyone help with the likely cause of this;-

1/ Brake lights: O/S working, N/S not. Both tail lights are working until I press the brake pedal when the N/S one goes out for as long as the pedal is depressed. All connections are clean, the bulb works, and the colour coded wires on the front to rear harness both at the bulkhead and the rear light all tally.

2/ Headlamps. O/S Headlamps and pilot bulb come on, N/S just the pilot. This happens whatever position the main switch is in other than when in 'L' and pressed down, when just the sidelights come on in that position. Again I've checked the N/S bulb and it's fine. The lights are wired as per this image so appear correct.

I've wired up the main light switch according to notes I made earlier and have since seen something by Ken that confirms that it is correct. You can actually see kens instructions on the floor in this pic!

Photo below: The relays are connected like this, and everything is clean and tight throughout. Will bypassing the relays cure it or should I be looking elsewhere?

February 22nd, 2010, 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: More wiring help please.
you havent had the switch apart have you?

No" L" on switch

dont have the ignition on and that'll keep the dim dip bodge out the equasion

lights off....nothing works

V =Ville= side lights on and dipped( and sidelights on) in the other position

R=Route dipped in same position as before and stalk moved mains come on, dipped go off, and because of how its wired the wee sidelights are on all the time

sounds like your ok just the dipped filament either broken or the feed not reaching it.

disable the dim dip as it can be a real bugger to solve the problems

as for the the rears something aint right, its almost as if the brake light switch is shorting out the tail light :?

Sean

February 22nd, 2010, 8:19 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Poor earth?
Make sure those wavy washers under the nuts securing the base have dug through the paint to make contact with bare steel.
Bare steel with some grease/vaseline on it would be better, though. ;)

ken

Sean wrote:
as for the the rears something aint right, its almost as if the brake light switch is shorting out the tail light :?

Sean

February 22nd, 2010, 8:56 pm
Firing on two.

Ok I'll have another go in the morning and see where we're up to with it. Useful to know that no ignition on simplifies matters too, thanks.

February 22nd, 2010, 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Old Bloke

I was about to say poor earth but Ken has got there first. So earth poor, fix as per Ken's reply.

Only posted this as I am getting near my 500

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

February 22nd, 2010, 10:06 pm
Firing on two.

Well I went back out and sorted the rear light thing and as you guys suspected a poor earth was the cause. The headlamp problem is different. Both pilot lamps work with ignition on or off but with ign on the O/S headlamp comes on on full beam, dip it and it goes out. The N/S headlamp still doesn't come on in either main or dip position. More investigation tomorrow. :(

February 22nd, 2010, 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Mr Nail

disable the dim dip as in the other posts as its causing confusion, looks like the dimmed dip is connected to the hi beam in error and so when Iggy on with sidelights on, the main beam comes in to play.

green circut is the dipped and goes to the top horizontal tag on the bulb yellow is the mains, pick one and follow it thru from switch to bulb then choose the other and do the same. The sidelights are red and smaller.

browns are earth and are the wrong way round from all the rest

Sean

February 23rd, 2010, 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]