View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Gearbox Identity 
Old Bloke

Post Re: Gearbox Identity
2CViking wrote:
ken wrote:

Viking,
as long as that Pembro chappie (or his French counterpart) hasn't had his paws in there, mixing and matching ratios, the 3rd gear pinion in the 2CV box would have 14 teeth, whereas the low ratio box would have 15...

ken.

Of cause that is a possibility but I doubt it. Who are you referring to as Rick’s counter part in France? It could well be a straight 4 box, if yes 90 clicks or thereabout would be right.
Another theory would be the beginning of a sliding clutch. You never really know until test driving the beast yourself. It is hard to be a mechanic in front of a computer

Clutch is new, first thing I thought of in front of the computer.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

January 26th, 2010, 8:08 pm
Firing on two.

grifftravel wrote:
The problem is that his car won't do more than 90kph without the engine screaming its nuts off.

does he know it has 4 gears :lol:

ok let's get serious now

ken wrote:
Paul,
sounds very much as though it's a low ratio box.
Easiest way to check the ratios is to jack the front end off the ground, engage 1st gear, remove the plugs and wind the engine over with the starting handle, counting the engine turns needed for one complete revolution of the road wheels.
Low ratio box = 28.7 turns
2CV = 21.5,
Dyane/Ami = 22.3.

I might be wrong, but a dyane/ami box has a longer ratio than a 2cv6 box for an Ami/Dyane box, the ratio's in the box are shorter, but the CP is longer, so in the end an Ami/ Dyane box is a bit longer. so if you turn the engine the wheel will do less revs.

source (love this site, and quite accurate as well!!): http://www.cats-citroen.net/home.html

anyways, in this case I'm almost sure it is an old (short) gearbox, so the only option is to change the box to a newer (2cv6) type

greetzzzzzzzzzzz

Rusty

January 26th, 2010, 9:25 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Rusty,
check again?
If you calculate the 'overall' ratios, including the crownwheel and pinion pair, a Dyane/Ami box has lower ratios than a 2CV box in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears, but is higher in 4th.

That's why I prefer to use a 2CV gearbox for towing, as there isn't such a big gap between 3rd and 4th as there is on a Dyane box. ;)

A 2CV box is nice in an Acadiane, for much the same reason...

ken

Rusty wrote:
I might be wrong, but a dyane/ami box has a longer ratio than a 2cv6 box for an Ami/Dyane box, the ratio's in the box are shorter, but the CP is longer, so in the end an Ami/ Dyane box is a bit longer. so if you turn the engine the wheel will do less revs.

source (love this site, and quite accurate as well!!): http://www.cats-citroen.net/home.html

anyways, in this case I'm almost sure it is an old (short) gearbox, so the only option is to change the box to a newer (2cv6) type

greetzzzzzzzzzzz

Rusty

January 26th, 2010, 9:36 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
engage 1st gear,

ah missed this bit ;) sorry :LOL: :oops:

Rusty

January 27th, 2010, 10:07 am
Old Bloke

Turns out its a 2CV gearbox Ken [21.5 turns]. I have set him on other things to look at.

P

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

January 27th, 2010, 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2