View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Condensation in car 
Firing on two.

Post Condensation in car
Hi

This is sort of my first winter with an A Series actually on the road, so all the classic winter questions are coming out now....

i'm getting dripped on from the roof on these cold days out of the sun....it's been suggested i get an electric greenhouse heater and put it in there at night.....anyone tried this? any good?

replacing the rooflining will happen come a dry spring day...

thanks again all

Willami

December 10th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Old Bloke

Post Re: Condensation in car
You could collect up all those little sachets that seem to come with all electrical products and store them in your glove box.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

December 11th, 2009, 12:11 am
Firing on two.

My car's under a car port so I leave the vent flap open a bit to keep the air moving, particularly if I'm going away for the weekend or something. I find thats enough to keep the air circulating and prevent condensation.

From a safety/environmental point of view, leaving heaters on may not be a good thing, although it had crossed my mind too :?

December 11th, 2009, 2:21 am
Firing on two.

Willami wrote:

This is the Ami?

Not having the headlining in is the cause of your problem. Once it's lined again, it won't condense anywhere near as badly. Seriously.

Vans suffer just as badly.

December 11th, 2009, 2:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

grifftravel wrote:
You could collect up all those little sachets that seem to come with all electrical products and store them in your glove box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICA-GEL-DEHUMIDIFIER_W0QQitemZ260521412514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca84947a2

slightly unfortunate name though... ;)

December 11th, 2009, 3:38 am
Firing on two.

grifftravel wrote:

i did think about putting a large bowl of salt in the car - and NOT spill it everywhere!!! that wouldn't be good....

i'm sure my dad did this over the winter in the caravan

December 11th, 2009, 12:29 pm
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:
Willami wrote:

This is the Ami?

Not having the headlining in is the cause of your problem. Once it's lined again, it won't condense anywhere near as badly. Seriously.

Vans suffer just as badly.

that's exactly it, there wasn't a problem until last winter when she was up on stands covered in non-breathable tarp. no ventilation and the headline dropped like a stone. it's all stored okay, so should go back okay come spring - storage just isn't an option at the moment.

thanks for that anyway

Will

December 11th, 2009, 12:35 pm
Firing on two.

Willami wrote:
i did think about putting a large bowl of salt in the car - and NOT spill it everywhere!!! that wouldn't be good...

Well, to keep salt dry and flowing in a salt cellar, you put some rice in with it...

A bowl of Uncle Ben's would probably be worth a try - but it'll still be dealing with the symptoms, not the cause. The cause is that a single skin of uninsulated metal will always get covered in condensation on a cold night. Basic thermodynamics (?).

December 11th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Old Bloke

toomany2cvs wrote:
Willami wrote:
i did think about putting a large bowl of salt in the car - and NOT spill it everywhere!!! that wouldn't be good...

Well, to keep salt dry and flowing in a salt cellar, you put some rice in with it...

A bowl of Uncle Ben's would probably be worth a try - but it'll still be dealing with the symptoms, not the cause. The cause is that a single skin of uninsulated metal will always get covered in condensation on a cold night. Basic thermodynamics (?).

Thermodynamics is the study of the conversion of energy into work and heat. [wiki] so stop working so hard inside the car [late night sex especially], so no heat and sweat, no condensation, simples [said in accent of a mearcat]

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

December 11th, 2009, 1:18 pm
Firing on two.

Academically speaking could you not prevent condensation forming my polishing all the surfaces till they are perfectly smooth?

I would be more tempted personally to run an extension cord out to a dehumidifier.

December 11th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next