View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Windscreen fitting. 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Windscreen fitting.
Ok thanks chaps, I'll get me thermals on and attempt it over the weekend.

December 4th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Old-Nail
don't forget to book your assistant well in advance, as they will be needed to keep the screen pressed (lightly) into place whilst you work your magic from inside the car with some nylon cord.
Gloves needed for both operatives as well...

Sean,
I recall a discussion on 2CVGB's forum, where someone reckoned that using Waxoyl on a rubber surround equalled disaster.
I've never had any problems with it, even when removing screens after about 10 years to give the screen surround paintwork a bit of fettling, then replacing everything again.
Mind you, I usually clean off the visible parts of the rubber and glass as soon as the screen is in place. ;)

ken

December 4th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Sean,
I recall a discussion on 2CVGB's forum, where someone reckoned that using Waxoyl on a rubber surround equalled disaster.
I've never had any problems with it, even when removing screens after about 10 years to give the screen surround paintwork a bit of fettling, then replacing everything again.
Mind you, I usually clean off the visible parts of the rubber and glass as soon as the screen is in place. ;)

ken

I believe that was me! ;)

Since then, I've used silicone grease very successfully. It not only acts as a lube but it's highly water repellent and never dries out and there's absolutely no chance of it ever attacking the rubber. Available from any plumber's merchant as o-ring lubricant or far more expensively as the food-grade version sold in diving shops to lube breathing regulators. I've always used the plumbing version for both! it's also superb for sorting out wiper spindles when they leak but are not totally knackered.

December 4th, 2009, 10:21 pm
Firing on two.

just to add to the not use sealant thoughts, each to their own but that sikaflex does not vond as such(despite what it says) you dont need to plaster it on, just enough to form a seal. I was given my first lot by a friend who worked for a local windscreen place when i did my dyane screen the first time. All i can say is, it worked fine for me and the screen has been changed twice in that car since :)

December 5th, 2009, 8:12 am
Firing on two.

Maplins sell small aerosols of silicone grease. It's not grease-like at all and resembles the consistency of WD40. I've gone over every electrical connection I could find in the car and after cleaning up any corrosion, sprayed the joints with that.

Last year I put a long length of timber in my Suzuki SuperCarry van then slammed the rear door. I hadn't allowed for the fact that the timber was just (only just) longer than the length of the inside of the van and cracked the windscreen :oops: . Two young lads turned up to replace the windscreen and as this was the first time I'd actually seen one changed, and hung around to watch. The old screen came out in about 30secs with one lad sat inside with his feet pressing on the glass. The new one with string around the rubber went in in about 30secs too. I was amazed to say the least.

December 5th, 2009, 9:03 am
Firing on two.

Paul Narramore wrote:
Maplins sell small aerosols of silicone grease. It's not grease-like at all and resembles the consistency of WD40.

Then they've labelled it incorrectly Paul. That's silicone oil; silicone grease is very thick and a total sod to wash from anything it gets onto (which is exactly why it's so useful).

December 5th, 2009, 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2