View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Leaks - best way to identify their source 
Firing on two.

Post Leaks - best way to identify their source
I've heard of various methods; what do people think? This is due to water egress by the way.

i was thinking of food colouring? others talk about talcum powder (how do you do that one)

sure it's been covered before but.....

cheers again
Will

December 1st, 2009, 5:03 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Leaks - best way to identify their source
the talcum powder method is to smoother the areas inside the car with talcum, pour water over outside (or just drive in rain)
in theory you will then have tracks in your talcum powder showing where the water has run down from.

Problem is water tends to follow some weird paths when allowed to slosh about, so may not be the best bet.

December 1st, 2009, 5:24 pm
Firing on two.

Matt S wrote:
the talcum powder method is to smoother the areas inside the car with talcum, pour water over outside (or just drive in rain)
in theory you will then have tracks in your talcum powder showing where the water has run down from.

Problem is water tends to follow some weird paths when allowed to slosh about, so may not be the best bet.

aaahhhhh - when i heard about talc. i thought it was puffing it in the suspected holes and seeing where it comes in....and being talc it didn't make the area wet....so could carry out repairs straight away...

someone told me to work down form the roof, but thinking about it, surely it's better to work upwards....otherwise gravity snares it...

w

December 1st, 2009, 5:32 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Will,
just wondering why are you worried about water escaping from the car?

I usually drill some 10mm holes in the floors, even when fitting new ones, to allow that to happen... :)

ken.

Willami wrote:
I've heard of various methods; what do people think? This is due to water egress by the way.

Will

December 1st, 2009, 6:13 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Will,
just wondering why are you worried about water escaping from the car?

I usually drill some 10mm holes in the floors, even when fitting new ones, to allow that to happen... :)

ken.

Willami wrote:

Will

Well that has been suggested, and it's a good idea obviously but this is water getting into the box sections too and i'm going for the 'prevention is better than cure' rationalle....basically on really wet days, i've got about an inch of water in the foot well.

just spotted my mistake - i meant ingress / not egress :oops:

December 1st, 2009, 6:31 pm
Firing on two.

I assume this is on an Ami6 in reasonably good condition? (ie, not rotten as a pear?)

On mine, the screen surround is a bit ropey and i was sure this was the source of the water ingress, until I noticed last time I took the engine out, that there are large gaps between the door and the sealing rubber just at the front edge where the ally upper window surround is bolted on. On a rainy day the water drips in there, and lands in a puddle about 100mm from the sill.

If you have an inch of water in the floors, that's pretty severe, are you sure it's not in a lake or something?

December 1st, 2009, 10:22 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Will,
you will have to ignore any comments from your neighbours or passersby for this one, but have you tried aiming the spray from a garden watering attachment at the Ami to mimic rainfall?

You'd have to sit inside the car for a while, perhaps with a torch, to check for signs of where the water may be getting in, but at least there'll be no confusion resulting from displacement of the water when the car was being used...

The same technique, but on a smaller scale, always works well when folk complain of poor starting in wet weather.
A small plant spraygun filled with water soon finds any dodgy plug leads or a coil which is arcing to 'earth'.

ken.

December 2nd, 2009, 12:44 am
Field Plougher

or you could shrink wrap your car

December 2nd, 2009, 11:05 am
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
I assume this is on an Ami6 in reasonably good condition? (ie, not rotten as a pear?)

On mine, the screen surround is a bit ropey and i was sure this was the source of the water ingress, until I noticed last time I took the engine out, that there are large gaps between the door and the sealing rubber just at the front edge where the ally upper window surround is bolted on. On a rainy day the water drips in there, and lands in a puddle about 100mm from the sill.

If you have an inch of water in the floors, that's pretty severe, are you sure it's not in a lake or something?

Yup this is on the Ami; i have taken the plastic dash off and the NS vent cartridge so i can see what's going on. haven't had a dry and bright moment to properly check it out but it would seem that water is getting in where the bonnet hinges sit. there's been some work carrie dout here in the past and the seal between the 'bonnet hinge seat' and the door post is iffy....top of the door post wher it slants off is very rotten. the air vent box section (which is now exposed internally) seems to be dry and the windscreen surround seems okay, with a tiny little drip or two just working it's way through - like a few drips over night after rain.

basically the door post is shot (it's strong but holey) hole above the top door hinge (now sealed with no-more-nails and plastic) and there's a hole behind the rubber seal. i know what you mean about the gap; but i think with a bit of door adjustment and a bit of packing out behind the rubber this can be sorted-ish....where the ally frame is bolted there's a small split on mine through years of slamming so it never sits perfect - but then it is a 42 year old unrestored car....

this is why i needed those posts off Viking - but the off cuts form your windscreen surround will help patch stuff up nicely i reckon

p.s. - have you managed to remove your windscreen? intact?
p.p.s - inch of water was abit of an exaggeration - more like half and inch at worst, and it's almost always parked on a downward slope, so it's contained to a small area in the foot well, carpets and trim are out

CheersWill

Last edited by Willami on December 2nd, 2009, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 2nd, 2009, 12:24 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Will,
you will have to ignore any comments from your neighbours or passersby for this one, but have you tried aiming the spray from a garden watering attachment at the Ami to mimic rainfall?

You'd have to sit inside the car for a while, perhaps with a torch, to check for signs of where the water may be getting in, but at least there'll be no confusion resulting from displacement of the water when the car was being used...

The same technique, but on a smaller scale, always works well when folk complain of poor starting in wet weather.
A small plant spraygun filled with water soon finds any dodgy plug leads or a coil which is arcing to 'earth'.

ken.

hi ken

yes, i am waiting for it to stop raining and dry out a bit so i can do this...cheers

i love the electrical fault detector - has to be done at night? i have a plant sparyer too...

will

December 2nd, 2009, 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next