View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 fuel pump.... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: fuel pump....
grifftravel wrote:
Sean wrote:
Oh FFS :roll:

The mech fuel pump is more than up to the job
ive NEVER seen one wear out

but they do quite often

seen the diapragm split but never seen wear in the mechanical bits only problems apart from that is crap in the pump from not having a £1 filter downstream. everything else has been leaky or kinked hose.

have you honestly replaced a simple reliable mechanical fuelpump with one of those SU electric ones?
What are the numerous benifits?

Sean

November 24th, 2009, 10:05 am
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
I did have a 2cv, where the arm on the underside of the fuel pump had worn, so it started fine and ran nicely...till I came to an incline on a motorway and had my foot flat on the throttle, the engine died!! I would coast onto the hard-shoulder and the engine would re-fire and away again...till I came to another hill :( The actuating arm that operates the fuel pump from the cam-shaft, had worn enough to allow the car to run perfectly well, till it needed enough fuel to climb a hill, but then allowed the carb to starve, so cutting out the engine.

They do give problems with the actuating arm, see my previous post here:-

November 24th, 2009, 10:56 am
Firing on two.

Are you sure?
sticky valves in the pump would give the same symptom
as the mech is under spring tension and the actual movement of the cam is only a tiny amount of what the pump is capable of any wear in the mecahnical parts is taken care of

right i need to stop as im getting too anal about this

i do have a life you know... and a real live GF honest! :lol:

Sean

November 24th, 2009, 11:11 am
Firing on two.

I've worn one out! There's a rod attached to the diaphragm, which has a nipple (haha) at one end, which is pulled by a fork in the pivoted arm, which is then actuated by the pushrod from the cam. I've had one where that nipple had been worn away by the fork, meaning the diaphragm wasn't moving as far as it should. Coupled with a load of crud under the valves, I wasn't going anywhere... turning the diaphragm round 60 degrees and cleaning up the valves sorted it (temporarily ;) ) though! :D It had taken 20 years to wear out like that....

I can see the virtue of a switchable pump, as others have alluded to, in a car that's left standing for ages at a time, to draw fuel up to the carb without wearing the starter motor out, but I don't think that describes your car, Joe! :P

November 24th, 2009, 11:56 am
Firing on two.

Luke wrote:
I can see the virtue of a switchable pump, as others have alluded to, in a car that's left standing for ages at a time, to draw fuel up to the carb without wearing the starter motor out

It describes Ellie's car - but a good fuel pump and carb see that starting very easily after a winter in the lockup unused. It's on points, too.

November 24th, 2009, 12:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Old Bloke

Sean wrote:

right i need to stop as im getting too anal about this

thats right enough

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

November 24th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Firing on two.

Steady ;)