View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Busted syncromesh 
Firing on two.

Post Busted syncromesh
I have this gearbox taking up space in the garage. It's from a car I bought cheap because it was stuck with the gearbox in two gears. The well known "unwinding"-problem. I had a working box in the garage, so just replaced the box at the place where the car was standing, and drove it home :mrgreen:

But I wanted to dismantel the original gearbox and have a look at it, to learn more about the 2CV-gearbox, and still have one working box in "spare". It was interesting. I have not driven this box, but earlier owner said it was fine until it just locked up. Well, have taken the box apart, and found 3 problems with it.

First, one shim for one of the differential bearings was totally destroyed. Only thin metal remainings left.

Second, the differetial bearings was in really bad shape. Maybe destroyed by material from the shim? Who knows.

Third and the reason for this thread; The syncromesh for the 3rd gear have come loose from the rest of the gear-shange-thingy :o

See the pics. First's show how it should look, second shows the missing umm.. whats-it-called, that holds the syncro to the rest of the piece:

What can be done to this?? Anyone heard of it before?! Is there a way to lock it in place? It seems I must buy the whole thing if it must be replaced, and it costs.....well, too much.

http://www.mehari-2cv-spare.co.uk/tree-and-balladeur-second-third--a--1013707.html

Why buy parts for 350 euro when I can get working boxes for free.
Just wanted to fix it for the fun of it. But 350(syncro) + 80(bearings) +++ euro says it's not going to be fun, so I might just store the box for parts.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

November 18th, 2009, 10:48 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Busted syncromesh
Eirik,
if you think that part's expensive, how about a
< http://www.mehari-2cv-spare.co.uk/wheel ... 13744.html >
at a cool 1,000 Euros before Club discount? :lol:

I'd guess it's game over for that 2nd/3rd sliding pinion, but the rest of the box is probably worth keeping for spares.
Quite a few of the bearings in the gearboxes are stock items, btw.
6304NR, 6205NR, 2 x 62052RSC3, 2 X 30207 spring to mind... ;)

ken

November 19th, 2009, 12:46 am
viking bastard

Common problem, rivots falling off. Bin it and get a good used 2nd/3rd sliding pinion or new. We have stock both new original and good used. Repair is possible but too expensive compared to new parts.

November 19th, 2009, 1:47 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Thx guys. You confirmed what I thought. I'll just keep it for spares then.

By the way, the 2CV box is a bit odd compared to normal 4-speed boxes!

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

November 19th, 2009, 2:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]