View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 16th, 2024, 6:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Burning smell! 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Burning smell!
well, ill clean the oil cooler. i cant really do much else as im just dropping some stuff off in plymouth at my uni house. ill probably clean the oil cooler and take it easy on the journey home.

September 16th, 2009, 2:39 pm
Firing on two.

P.s thanks for the help everyone!

Joe.

September 16th, 2009, 2:40 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Joe,
no, it's almost a partial seizure, since an engine which has suffered that doesn't usually recover afterwards.
Instead, the damage to the piston(s) and barrel(s) means that there's a loss of compression on one or both pots and generally very poor performance... :(

I'd be listening for high speed detonation, also checking the total amount of ignition advance, spark plug heat range as well as the condition of the oil cooler.
However, is there any chance that it's fuel starvation, which would result in poor running under full load and/or speed, but would improve very quickly once the throttle was backed off?
Of course, the problem would happen again once fuel demand increased beyond what the pump was able to deliver to the carb.
Keeping the pedal down even when the engine's protesting means that it's being forced to run on a weak mixture, which will burn slower and soon cause overheating.

Paul,
if it was a worn out clutch, wouldn't that be much more evident when accelerating through the gears and be most noticable around 3,750 rpm, when the clutch is required to transmit peak torque?
It didn't take my daughter too long to give me a call when the clutch on the 2 pot Visa wore out, since the lack of go in relation to throttle position hindered progress dramatically (even in the flatlands around York where we live). ;)

ken.

Gay_Joe wrote:
so when they get all hot and spluttery and start kangarooing... thats a partial seizure?...

September 16th, 2009, 5:52 pm
Old Bloke

ken wrote:
Paul,
if it was a worn out clutch, wouldn't that be much more evident when accelerating through the gears and be most noticeable around 3,750 rpm, when the clutch is required to transmit peak torque?
It didn't take my daughter too long to give me a call when the clutch on the 2 pot Visa wore out, since the lack of go in relation to throttle position hindered progress dramatically (even in the flatlands around York where we live). ;)

ken.

I agree, if you know what you are about. However I have been delivered many a car with all sorts of presumed faults when in fact it was a clutch almost on the way out or over adjusted.

I think the point I was making was to try to think clearly about the diagnosis. There seems to be a presumption that 2CV engines seize at the drop of a hat which of course they don't. I often describe 2CV engines as unburstable, they are so forgiving.

Hope you are well.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

September 16th, 2009, 6:05 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Hi Paul,
I'd agree that it's difficult to break an A series engine, but sadly it's not impossible.
A tendency to neglect regular maintenance is a starting point, but incorrect settings of critical adjustments plus the ability to disregard warnings of mechanical distress also play their part... :(

ken.
( No problem. Even today's hangover, the result of the pub landlady insisting on free beer last night because I'd cut the hedge between our property and the pub, was soon dispelled by an intensive session of welding. :) )

grifftravel wrote:
There seems to be a presumption that 2CV engines seize at the drop of a hat which of course they don't. I often describe 2CV engines as unburstable, they are so forgiving.

Hope you are well.

September 16th, 2009, 6:46 pm
Firing on two.

grifftravel wrote:
ken wrote:
Paul,
if it was a worn out clutch, wouldn't that be much more evident when accelerating through the gears and be most noticeable around 3,750 rpm, when the clutch is required to transmit peak torque?

ken.

I agree, if you know what you are about. However I have been delivered many a car with all sorts of presumed faults when in fact it was a clutch almost on the way out or over adjusted.

I think the point I was making was to try to think clearly about the diagnosis.

I did, which is why I suggested it was overheating and partially seizing!

I shall stay quiet next time and let an expert answer, you're right, it's silly for those of us just guessing at diagnosis to speak up.

September 16th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Firing on two.

Devils Advocate wrote:
For anyone who regularly does long, fast motorway runs and/or revs the ar*e out of their cars, is it worth them fitting a larger oil filter cannister, which is reckoned to lower the oil temp (as I've read)?

No its worth setting the engine up properly :P

Grifftravel wrote:
There seems to be a presumption that 2CV engines seize at the drop of a hat which of course they don't.

Unless they have been set up with the timing out at which point a few miles into a motorway journey with a pinking engine accompanied by other poor maintenance and its almost inevitable- 123 and the Ilk just as prone to poor set up.

Pinking/clickets/pinging/knock will also errode the head at the mating face to the barrel Ive got a cracking picture of Pinking damage to a piston and head, but alas having camera/usb cable/win 98se/photobucket problems :lol:

and as an asside isnt "burning clutch" usually accompanied with the ajective "acrid" - sweet it aint!
Sean

September 16th, 2009, 6:49 pm
Old Bloke

Sean wrote:
and as an asside isnt "burning clutch" usually accompanied with the ajective "acrid" - sweet it aint!
Sean

Depends on your nose ;) I always liken it to sweet fishy smell, I don't find it unpleasant at all.

My presumption here when people have sudden problems is that the car was OK to begin with. If things aren't set up right to start with then who knows how to begin to diagnose a fault by email :?:

September 16th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Old Bloke

ken wrote:
( No problem. Even today's hangover, the result of the pub landlady insisting on free beer last night because I'd cut the hedge between our property and the pub, was soon dispelled by an intensive session of welding. :) )

Free beer, mmmm. One of the very few things I miss from the UK is a good honest pint of real beer. :|

September 16th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Firing on two.

grifftravel wrote:
My presumption here when people have sudden problems is that the car was OK to begin with. If things aren't set up right to start with then who knows how to begin to diagnose a fault by email :?:

My presumption is that if it was set up right they wouldnt be on here looking for help! :lol:
Sean

September 16th, 2009, 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next