View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 16th, 2024, 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 SU Manifold 
Aircooled Idiot

Post Re: SU Manifold
dave 411 wrote:
subarupete wrote:
Who purchased the Track Rod End Cups?

I did,and they are going ont my van.
Can I just say,and dont shoot me,I have noticed that if someone posts something about an idea thats not the norm,its handbags at dawn.I know we are all entitled to our opinions,and are free to express them,but come on guys, :roll: :roll: :roll:

There's always purists ;)

You'll always be shot, just most of the time the bullets are rubber and no harm is meant ;)

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

March 23rd, 2012, 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Hmm,well put James.

March 23rd, 2012, 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

There are purists about but I'm certainly not one of them, there are also some people, of whom perhaps I am one, who feel sightly pleased with ourselves that we can own a car that needs regular maintenance and keep it running reliably, without resorting to spending money on gizmos, an ability rapidly being lost from the general population.
In fact when many people spend £1000s every year keeping a car on the road, having a car that may cost £50 in parts a year, and doesn't depreciate makes me very smug indeed.

My own track rod end conversion that I did last year was inspired by very similar reasoning to Blackjack's carb swap, it saved me money, and because I could. There are many of us here, and amongst 2cv owners in general, who have engineering minds, some are professionals, others just like to tinker, but most of us at some point question whether parts of Citroens design could be improved upon, and when we do, we shouldn't be surprised if others then question our own ideas.

I can't see that there's anything in this thread to cause anyone to throw their toys around. It's nothing personal, just a discussion on the pros and cons of ideas.

March 24th, 2012, 12:38 am
Firing on two.

Jameswallace wrote:
Hed been charged for a full service however I could tell this wasn't true as the fan hadn't been removed for years!

Thats because opening the bonnet checking the oil level and looking at the lights on the dashboard IS a full service nowadays.

We have a brand new Skoda it went for its 1st service at 10k to halfords of all places when there is 2 main dealers in town. id sent a note to say that the tracking needs done there is a heat shield hitting something when loaded and one of the injectors is cutting out just as the car reaches operating temp.

car came back with the service light swiched off and fuck all done apart from a a good few miles on the clock and a back seat full of macdonald crap not a happy bunny waiting for reply from lombard and want it taken to main dealer as the cat light has now come on glad its just a lease cause its going to be dead at the side of the road soon.

March 24th, 2012, 9:20 am
Aircooled Idiot

Halfrauds are opening a service and mot centre in Chichester. I'd love to drive a 40 ft lorry straight trough it at 100mph. Hate halfords.
I'm just talen a back at 'mechanics' these days.
Are there any engineers in the trade left these days?!

1988 2cv 652cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

March 24th, 2012, 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

They are fitters,they just "fit" parts.Give them a car with a carb on and they are fucked :lol: :lol:

March 24th, 2012, 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

let it lie - weve gone off fighting 'bout carbs and are now picking on halfords :lol:

March 24th, 2012, 10:00 am
Aircooled Idiot

Sean wrote:
let it lie - we are now picking on halfords :lol:

Quite right.
I hate them

1988 2cv 652cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

March 24th, 2012, 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I understand your frustration BJ. Don't take that crap personally.
I see the suggestions and modifications that you make, more importantly the way the you work in a group order to reduce cost, and think it is fantastic! I've not had the requirement to be apart of your work but you have my support.
James W. put is so well with his rubber bullet analogy.

Back on track if it isn't to late; Would the SU manifold replace the existing one or be an adaptor that bolts on top of the original?

As a low cost replacement for the original carby I don't think you could beat this conversion. I would suspect that there would be no increase to top end speed but maintenance and reliability would definitely be improved, as less moving parts are involved and the flat spot between butterflies eliminated.

My personal experience on this comes from converting my 2cv to multi point EFI. It was like a new motor, a lot more responsive and better low end torque, but no amount of tuning would increase the top end speed... Which supports BJ's comment that the 2cv Carby is well designed for the motor.

I think the only way to produce such modifications for the 2cv in this community would be to foot the bill of the first batch yourself, post pics/video/documentation of the finished result and then offer the product for sale. People share different dreams and are usually unwilling to carry the risk of others.

Harley

March 25th, 2012, 5:32 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Harley,
without going into the pros and cons of swapping carbs, only one jet needs to be changed ( or drilled out) in a Solex twin choke carburettor to cure the weak mixture produced by unleaded fuel.

The transition between first and second chokes is then seamless, as it was originally.

ken

Harley wrote:
and the flat spot between butterflies eliminated.
Harley

March 25th, 2012, 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next