View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 16th, 2024, 9:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 SU Manifold 
Firing on two.

Post Re: SU Manifold
Who purchased the Track Rod End Cups?

March 22nd, 2012, 11:16 pm
Firing on two.

I gave away one set and sold two to members of this forum. People bought them because they after they'd spent £122.50 on new arms they didn't want to have them worn out in 18 months by using the original steel Citroen bearing cups.

It's not for me to release names etc. They'll speak up if they want to.

BTW - those are no longer available because the engineering company who made them went bust and I am struggling to find somewhere that can do them for the right price and to the same quality as those below. Presumably this forum would regard them, however good they were, as a "shonky" bit of kit not fit to be placed near a 2CV..... (although the cups were originally phosphor bronze until the Citroen accountants decided it would be cheaper to have steel ones - whisper it though).

March 22nd, 2012, 11:57 pm
Firing on two.

I think you might have something on your shoulder?

March 23rd, 2012, 12:12 am
Field Plougher

blackjack wrote:
SU a "shonky piece of kit"? I don't have any idea what that might mean - but I do know that SU's (exactly the same as used in "shonky" Metros, just bigger) have been fitted as original equipment right into the 1980's to Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Austin Healey and many more. Solexes of the sort used in the 2CV were fitted to cheap family cars and vans.

Rolls & Bentleys of that age were like big, fast (relative, of course) Rovers, and if we're going to look to what other car manufacturers were doing, why not look at what they are doing and go for electronic fuel injection. I've had SUs on mine it was faster, I may put them back on, manifold was really easy to make, literally cut up old manifold and switched the sides so they pointed out wards, I took them off for insurance purposes, they may go back on, but I think injection is something better to look into.

March 23rd, 2012, 12:16 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

By coincidence, a 2CV arrived here last month with an SU carburettor fitted and the owner complaining of a smell of petrol when he drove it.
Since he'd purchased it only a few months previously and was intending to sell it on quite soon, I didn't spend too much time on it, but did find access awkward to the parts which mattered.
When I took it for a test drive, the performance was similar to what you'd expect with a standard setup...

ken

SU carburettor on 2CV engine by slcchassis, on Flickr

March 23rd, 2012, 12:42 am
Firing on two.

Vosper2004 wrote:
Fitted a pair to my Traction many years ago with a home made manifold and although I didn't notice a great improvement in perforrmance my fuel consumption went from 25 t0 30mpg.
Don

I had to fit a single SU to a 11B Normale when the correct Solex wasn't available for a couple of weeks at the reconditioners. It was a 1.25 Mini spec (inch and a quarter) and the smoothness in the lower rev ranges was a delight. Lost out above 60mph through asthma but what an easy carb to set up with no flat spots. ;)

March 23rd, 2012, 2:01 am
Firing on two.

I've heard of people replacing fixed venturi carbs with SUs before, I've also heard of people swapping the other way, both usually with rave reviews along the lines of it being the best thing since sliced bread etc. However I'm also sure there are plenty of swaps that are disappointing, but no-one shouts about those afterwards.

Carburettors don't have a particularly complex job when it comes down to it, atomise fuel and mix it into the air stream, any carb that wasn't capable of doing that to an acceptable standard would never have made it into a mass produced car. Any time I hear of a different carburettor making a huge difference I think It's pretty safe to assume that the original was worn out or badly set up, although I accept that some setups are biased towards performance and others to economy.

Blackjack, you made some convincing points about why one might want to swap to an SU. And if someone could save money over a reconned solex by bolting on an SU then why not. My main reservation would be that there could be a lot of time and frustration involved in trying to get it tuned right, at the end of which, if you were lucky, your car would run as well as it did on the original solex. I'm one of the last people to be in a position to say stick with originality, I just think there are other things that could be experimented with or modified, that would give a better return for one's effort. And for that reason I'm out!

March 23rd, 2012, 2:44 am
Firing on two.

PM sent to original poster

You can guess that im not a fan of the SU but my main concern is that the interest shown in getting a second hand carb off the internet to replace the one that you cant get working isnt always a recipie for succsess, last couple i watched when this last came up went for considerably more than £15

I am also critical of 123 which in early days was touted as a cure all. As an accesory its great - but don't tell me its better than points and im a luddite because you are too thick to set points properly.

Might have to go back to "if you cant get it to run on points and a black coil all the toys aren't going to help"

Sean
( still waiting for my steering cups) ;)

March 23rd, 2012, 9:13 am
Firing on two.

subarupete wrote:
Who purchased the Track Rod End Cups?

I did,and they are going ont my van.
Can I just say,and dont shoot me,I have noticed that if someone posts something about an idea thats not the norm,its handbags at dawn.I know we are all entitled to our opinions,and are free to express them,but come on guys, :roll: :roll: :roll:

March 23rd, 2012, 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Aircooled Idiot

Sean wrote:
PM sent to original poster

You can guess that im not a fan of the SU but my main concern is that the interest shown in getting a second hand carb off the internet to replace the one that you cant get working isnt always a recipie for succsess, last couple i watched when this last came up went for considerably more than £15

I am also critical of 123 which in early days was touted as a cure all. As an accesory its great - but don't tell me its better than points and im a luddite because you are too thick to set points properly.

Might have to go back to "if you cant get it to run on points and a black coil all the toys aren't going to help"

Sean
( still waiting for my steering cups) ;)

I serviced a 2cv for a friend t'other day, his wife was complaining it would conk put constantly and never start, so I offered to sort it
As I arrived and we were having tea, he was remarking about his thoughts to getting a 123 ignition put on as he reconed it'd cure the shit running
He'd had it services a few weeks before, but I had assumed the garage wouldn't of done anything helpful so I decided to do a complete service
Lo and behold - after setting the timing renewing the points and setting valve
Clearances, it runs like a dream. His wife was over the moon and said she had 0% faith before and now has 100%!!
So Sean I follow your thinking that gizmo's don't necessarily cure the problem!
Ps the timing was way way advanced, no gap in the valves or points at all!!
Hed been charged for a full service however I could tell this wasn't true as the fan hadn't been removed for years!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

March 23rd, 2012, 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next