View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 21st, 2019, 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Brake adjustment 
Firing on two.

Post Brake adjustment
It was time for the CT (MOT) here in France. The handbrake was about 6 clicks, so I adjusted the cables by screwing the wing nots down about 3 turns, hand brake now about 4 clicks. Sailed through the CT, minor imbalance of handbrake but well acceptable.
However, before the handbrake cable adjust, the foot brake gave superb performance with light / moderate foot pressure. After the handbrake adjustment, it needed heavy foot brake pressure to give sufficient braking to pass the CT. I assume that the shoes are not in good contact with the front brake drums now and either need to bed in, or take the whole lot apart and adjust properly using the special tool. Or undo the handbrake cables a bit - I may go for that option to see what happens !

July 4th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Brake adjustment
You should adjust the brake shoes with the nuts behind the drum, just till you hear it lightly scraping the drums. For the adjusting put the car on a jack, wheel just of the ground so it can rotate. Loose the handbrake cables a bit before adjusting later you can turn them back to the right tension.

July 4th, 2019, 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]