View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Speedometer bulb 
Firing on two.

Post Speedometer bulb
The only lamp on my 2CV that does not burn as bright as I think it should is the speedometer light. I don't know if I have a bad earth or it's like those VDO gauges with micro-bulbs installed in Volvos which are hard to see at night.

I was considering installing an LED bulb but I'm not sure what the bulb number is without pulling the instrument panel first. I came up with BA9 2 watt. Is that correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-Lots-Whi ... Z0&vxp=mtr

December 11th, 2016, 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Speedometer bulb
It is correct. I put a led in, much better light. Although it's very white. Might be nicer to use a yellow one.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

December 11th, 2016, 11:58 am
Firing on two.

A 4w version of BA9 is available.

December 11th, 2016, 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I'm no so much concerned with my speed as I am with RPMs. I use the reference marks on the speedometer to know when to shift.

The speedometer needle is hard to see unless I am passing under a street light.

December 11th, 2016, 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I went up to the next wattage recently and it didn't make much difference. Of course on the unlit roads it's fine,nice subtle lighting but visible enough.

Last edited by Ianredspecial on December 11th, 2016, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 11th, 2016, 3:18 pm
Firing on two.

The old bulb will be black. A new 5w one will be a great improvement.

December 11th, 2016, 5:29 pm
Firing on two.

I have a red LED in mine. I bought a standard 10mm red led and filled it down to fit snugly in the hole for the old bulb. I also rewired it to come on with the ignition.

December 12th, 2016, 11:46 pm
Firing on two.

My LED bulbs arrived the other day and yesterday I swapped out the park light bulbs in the headlamps and the bulb for the instrument cluster. As mentioned it was black! The new bulb is great! It's got kind of a blue tint to it but all the gauges are now visible in the dark.

There are seven screws that holds the instrument cover to the speedometer. On my car, the ones in the center are missing but don't seem to cause any ill effects. There is one at the bottom and two on each side. These side screws appear to also go through the speedometer bracket. I had to use an awl to align everything together.

Yesterday when I went to install the LED bulb in the speedometer, I couldn't quite get the cover off. But thanks to having slender hands, I was able to pull the bulb housing out of the speedometer and change it.

Since I have seven more of these bulbs I thought about just replacing them all with these LED bulbs.

If all the screws are removed, then what's preventing the cover from being removed? Seems like the holdup was in the lower right hand corner. Perhaps I need to disconnect the washer pump and rear fog light switch? Or just remove the threaded collars and push the switches back in?

If this makes sense, I noticed that on the left side the speedometer when I had the screws removed there was a gap but on the right hand side, there was no gap as if it looked as though there was still a screw somewhere I had yet to remove.

Brake light warning button: When I got this car, when I pressed the brake fluid warning light button it would light up the indicator. I didn't even know what it was until I read up on it and have never seen it on any other car. But it has stopped working all of a sudden.

It seemed to have stopped working after I removed the defroster panel/wiper motor cover to cover my bulkhead with felt so I thought I may have knocked a wire loose but that was not the case. I replaced the bulb but it still doesn't work.

One idea I thought about doing was to disconnect the wires going to it and run a jumper wire to the windshield wiper switch. That way I could use it as a momentary "mist action" button.

I pop the bonnet frequently so I keep a routine check on all the fluids anyway.

January 13th, 2017, 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I like the mist action wiper idea. I just semi press my switch to get the one wipe though.

No idea why your bulb thing isn't working. Probably corrupt wires, they are so thin. But also do check your earths under the bonnet. My brake warning lamp started glowing oddly in the dark - I needed to reattach the earths near the bonnet hinge area under the bonnet.

January 15th, 2017, 2:19 pm
Firing on two.

did you possibly hit the mass connector of the speedo cluster?

January 15th, 2017, 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next