View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 8:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Cornwall camp poll.. 

If my cornwall camp was fully organised would you attend?
Yes 52%  52%  [ 14 ]
No 48%  48%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 27

Cornwall camp poll.. 
Beard

Post Re: Cornwall camp poll..
its a big enough field. But its wether you can garuntee enough people. So far its only been advertised on here...

Its a long way for 4x4 lot to drag the cars plus tent etc. if 6 people turn up. :?

http://www.rollingonfour.co.uk

October 1st, 2009, 10:59 am
2CV Fan

If there's a chance some 'traders' or similar are going to be there on certain days it might enourage folks to turn up. I think all Joe needs is a word of 'intent' rather than firm bookings at this stage, IF this gets off the ground would I2F be there to sell T Shirts, stickers etc and highlight this forum and all you do?

October 1st, 2009, 12:55 pm
lovin' the snatch

ahahahahaha ANNIE!!!!! dont drag me into this..... this ones not my camp....

its TOM's!

:lol:

ps- im not from cornwall either.... im Northampton :D

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

October 1st, 2009, 3:18 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks to Luke, 2cvBG will be too. :P

getting there slowly.

October 1st, 2009, 9:29 pm
Firing on two.

Annie wrote:
If you want to save paying for and sorting out Public Liability Insurance (You will need to have it though), you can form a new Cornwall local group of 2CVGB. Liz and Steve are in Somerset now as you say, and have disbanded the SW Cornwall 2CVers.

Get in touch with Kim - through 2CVGB News (or Luke on here), if you want to form a new 2CVGB local group for the area, and then 'the club' can handle the liability for the event. The club can also advise on all the boring Health & Safety etc.

I think Liz got her loos and showers for a firm called Andy Loos although I'm not sure, we've used a national firm called Wernicks.

Food stands are not a must, if you do have them might be an idea just to have a fish & chip van a couple of nights, and some take away menues (if there's anything local). It can be a lot of organising.

Somewhere under cover would be great, but again not a must, as long as you let folk know what facilities you have laid on they will bring T Bases, Gazebos etc.

It's sounding good if you've got a field, that's usually the hardest thing to sort out.

Lets see if I can elaborate even further on Annies post and make this as easy as possible for you Tom.

Right, to organise a new local group for Cornwall you need to be a 2CVGB member (I don't know what 2cvBG is), this will cost you £25ish a year and is worthwhile. You can join by following this link, just have your card details to hand. http://www.2cvgb.co.uk/index.php?page=Join%202cvgb

Organising a new group is done by contacting Kim Wilson I believe, her email adress is here: events@2cvgb.com

Once you've arranged that it'd be ideal if you publicised the group via 2cvgb, again, Kim can help I understand, so worth speaking to her. You'll need a monthly meeting venue (most pubs will be glad of the trade, or maybe you could meet at a local landmark and all go for a drive somewhere for a drink once a month, the choice is yours) By setting up a local group and meeting local 2cv owners you'll have a few people who'll help you organise and importantly, attend your camp. You need an idea of numbers before you go much further, so it pays to get this bit sorted asap and start promoting the event, get feedback and so on so you have a rough idea of numbers coming.

Of course, you don't have to do this. You could publicise your event in other ways, via classic car press or web forums etc, but as you won't be under the banner of 2CVGB you'll need your own liability insurance. try calling these guys for a quote on 0845 213 8448

http://www.hiscox.co.uk/events/default. ... =1&c=00023

Obviously however you chose to do that, you'll need simple facilities like toilets and a standpipe for water, or a tap that can be used so participants have drinking water freely available. If it isn't your land then you will need to gain permission for this. Toilets are cheap and easy to arrange, it's worth giving somebody like Brandon hire a ring, we're using them at the moment at work and for a single portalo (you'll need two) they charged £25 a week plus £35 carrige to deliver it, from what I understand initial cleaning is included in that, but be prepared to pay more. Call them and ask,

Brandon Hire
Unit 19A
Longrock Industrial Estate
Penzance
Cornwall
TR20 8HX

T: 01736 350892

(this is your local branch)

Work out how many days you'll need them for, how long will your camp be? You need to make sure the loos will be there BEFORE the events starts (ie, if it's friday to monday make sure the loos are on site thursday latest until tuesday, and be prepared to pay for that!)

What are the dates you have in mind? Here's a hint, don't ask people when they want it, TELL them when it's going to be, just make sure you don't clash with a major event. If that's not possible, maybe offer your camp as an alternative to it, for example, if there's a large meeting in North Yorkshire, Spain, France etc. You need to do this first and foremost.

Make sure your field is suitable, is it well drained? is the grass short? is it full of cow shit? can cars get out easily? can emergency services get in easily? if bad weather threatens and the field is a quagmire have you any way of getting the cars out?

It helps if you aren't planning evening entertainment to have a pub nearby, who are happy for your people to come and go.

It's common practise to arrange a convoy or drive out at some point, as people visiting from far away will want to see the local area and what it has to offer. Plan a route that will take a couple of hours and maybe takes in a nice tourist attraction too.

You should give people attending a fact sheet with important info like local doctors, hospitals and supermarkets so nobody feels lost or nervous about asking, or so that in an emergency there is no delay in getting help. This should include the adress where the camp is held, so anybody can direct an ambulace/fire or police vehicle to the are if the need arises.

Once you've worked out exactly what it'll cost you to hold this camp (I'd budget a few hundred pounds reserve just in case you need anything in an emergency, a toiler hire co let you down, your water supply is disrupted or anything like that) you can work out roughtly what to charge depending on the numbers you expect. It's simple to work out, here's a simple example:

If you have spent £350 on getting your camp organised, and you expect a minimum of 12 cars, you're holding it from a friday to a sunday, you need to divide £350 by 12 which is £29.16, you're holding it over two nights so you can charge nightly, divide that by two and you have £14.58 per night. That's a lot for a 2CV camp, by the way, so if it works out any more than £5/6 per night expect to make a loss or put people off by charging enough to cover your costs. Be pessimistic with costings and projected incomes/outlays. It's better to expect to make a loss and be prepared for it than it is to expect a profit and then be unable to pay your suppliers when the bills come in. Make sure you don't need to rely on the gate money coming in to pay the bills, ensure you have enough money aside to do that yourself. Don't expect to get rich off the back of it
either, you're not Micheal Eavis.

This, along with what Annie and others have suggested is the BARE MINIMUM of what you need to do. It's October 2009, if you want to hold a camp in 2010 you need to act now with everything I've suggested here, or it's likely your camp will be unheard of and disorganised.

If You're serious about organising a camp, get busy, ring the numbers I've given you, ask questions and get prices.

October 2nd, 2009, 12:44 am
Firing on two.

I've had a few more thoughts today Tom, hope this helps.

Firstly, I really recommend you join 2cvgb and advertise the meeting that way, and by organising your own local group you'll have a lot more clout.

You could arrange the camp instead of your local group meeting one month, instead of expecting people to turn out twice, and it's nice to have a bit of a break between seeing the same people, the last thing you want to do is be packing away at the camp on a sunday and have people saying 'See you next tuesday'.

I really cannot emphasise the need for insurance enough either, if somebody gets hurt at your meeting and your not covered, even if they only have a tiny gash or something awful like a gaping axe wound, you could find yourself liable to trouble.

Think about maybe organising food one night from a local take-away maybe. Of course, make sure it's somewhere nice, the last time I was in Cornwall I was so desperate to 'eat out' one night I ended up chowing down on a badly packed kebab which although on first inspection I assumed was bacon, it tasted and smelt more like fish. You don't want people to suffer the same fate that I did!

You could alternatively organise a BBQ if the weather is pleasant, nothing fancy, people will always like hot meat between a big pair of baps, just make sure you have a seperate BBQ for vegetarians, they can't eat from something covered in the juices that've seeped from your meat.

How secure is your field? if it's near a main road or a busy village you may attract the wrong crowd, bear this in mind. nobody wants to feel threatened when they are meant to be enjoying themselves, and nobody wants to see any criminal damage occur, only recently Gay_Joe from this forum had somebody try to force entry and kicked his back doors in. A rural location will help this of course.

You'll need to signpost your camp from the local main roads, you can make some signs up from plywood and a stake, you could cut them into the shape of 2cvs as they do at my local camp. This is easier with an electric fretsaw which you may have at school? if not a simple hand job will usually be good enough.

Are these suggestions any good?

October 2nd, 2009, 6:50 pm
super slot

Russell wrote:
if not a simple hand job will usually be good enough.

October 2nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

fankoo Russ. Info taken onboard. Joing 2cvGB very soon. :P

getting there slowly.

October 2nd, 2009, 8:55 pm
Firing on two.

Tom wrote:
fankoo Russ. Info taken onboard. Joing 2cvGB very soon. :P

No problem, and just remember this, Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself.

October 2nd, 2009, 9:12 pm
Firing on two.

:lol: haha yh :lol:

getting there slowly.

October 2nd, 2009, 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next