View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Registers day 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Registers day
I don't care if it scales up or not, for me personally a weekend doing something I enjoy and not having to put my hand in my pocket is going to tempt me more than spending a fortune doing the same stuff I did last year, the year before that and the four years before that.

Remember BITD when we had stuff like the ffyfes safari, Humber Jam, fill a ferry and so on? What's wrong with trying something different today?

Same 2cvgb response as usual: Voice any less than positive opinion and you're told to do it yourself or shut up.

July 3rd, 2013, 8:39 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
I don't care if it scales up or not

Exactly. So it's not really something 2cvgb can do to tempt you back, is it?

Quote:
Same 2cvgb response as usual: Voice any less than positive opinion and you're told to do it yourself or shut up.

It's not what I said, though. I asked what sort of event WOULD tempt you? Free beer excluded, obviously.

July 3rd, 2013, 8:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Please see the second paragraph of my last post.

July 3rd, 2013, 8:58 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
.......Remember BITD when we had stuff like the ffyfes safari, Humber Jam, fill a ferry and so on? What's wrong with trying something different today?.......

Russ, there's nothing wrong with trying something different my friend. From what I read here you're not a club member - fine, thats your right. But if you were (maybe you are and I've read it wrong?) you could organise something different and people will come along, we're not all rivet counters ruminating over what's happened in the past and how 'things were so much better in the old days'.

Was that Auffay, by any chance, the other event?

July 3rd, 2013, 8:59 pm
Firing on two.

I never said anything about rivet counters, or that it's all rubbish nowadays, simply suggesting that it wouldn't hurt if the national club took the initiative to say 'yknow what, lets not do xyz this year, lets do something new instead'.

I went to the racing at Brands Hatch, although Auffay is supposed to be good. Theres an idea for a 2cvgb event, join forces with a French club and do something over there.

I'm not a member so I suppose I've no real right to comment, I'm also quite sure that this years registers was a great event, but it just doesn't appeal like it used to to me, which is why I commented that something new wouldn't go amiss. London to Brighton is a good example, they slogged on for years with an event that had no inherent problems, but with fewer people attending the same thing year after year it had to stop. I don't think it's wise to let things drag on until they're stale.

I'm certain this will just seem like an anti-club moan but its meant with nothing more than constructive criticism, albeit from the point of view of an outsider. Apologies for any offence caused, whenever something like this is said there are those who put a lot of time and effort in who take it as a personal attack, which I think I've made clear it isn't.

July 3rd, 2013, 9:47 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
simply suggesting that it wouldn't hurt if the national club took the initiative to say 'yknow what, lets not do xyz this year, lets do something new instead'.

Ah, now there's the thing. The "national club" doesn't organise events. Local groups do. And local groups are... people. Individuals, who happen to meet in a pub. No more than that.

So - for an event to be organised - somebody does it.

Humber Bridge and Fill a Ferry were Pete & Bev.

The safari was, IIRC, one guy (and didn't he appear out of nowhere, then never be seen again - and wasn't there something hooky about the charity money in the aftermath?).

Other than those three events, I struggle to remember anything particularly "different" from way back when. Just more of the same as we have now.

July 3rd, 2013, 9:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Carry on as you are then. Two of us here said its a bit 'samey' and a third via a PM to me as well. Simply saying I'm wrong to hold this opinion probably won't encourage me to go to anything though.

Wessex ducks indian summer camps are another example of killing something off before it got stale, for whatever reason.

July 3rd, 2013, 10:08 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Simply saying I'm wrong to hold this opinion probably won't encourage me to go to anything though.

Just as well I didn't say that, eh?

What I _did_ say was that for an event to happen is nothing to do with "the national club". It takes people to organise it. Yes, those people might be the same people who also run "the national club", but that's the same person wearing two different hats, no more no less.

For one of those individuals to organise an event, they have to want that event, figure others might want it, then get off their arses and just do it.

It looks like nobody else wants the events you want enough to do that getting-off-arse bit. That might be because nobody else knows what they are, other than they might be "a bit like a couple of events that happened 20yrs ago".

The only event that could be said to be run by "the national club" is Reg. And that's firmly down to just one person - who happens to wear the Reg of Reg hat. And that's been Matt for the last few years. And he seems to be quite happy with the type of event he's been organising. Else he'd have organised something different, probably. Maybe his replacement will fancy a different type of event as Reg. We'll find out in 2015. But, for next year, it's Matt's job to organise it. His way.

You want respect for your opinion - no problem, but help us out a bit.
Surely, though, it's only fair you give Matt respect for his opinion and hard work. Isn't it?

July 3rd, 2013, 10:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Read the post I made at 7:47pm.

I did not 'disrespect' Matts opinion.

Lack of imagination by the club or its component parts not my problem.

Suggestion of application of imagination only made in the interest of stimulating ideas.

Continuation of my Intention to do things I've not done before remains.

Surprised that suggestion of trying something new was met with utter indifference and obstructiveness.

Such attitude being the exact reason I couldn't be arsed to try and convince club otherwise

Spent my £25 on two bottles of wine and 40 fags.*

*Inclusion of this statement is purely based on tradition that no such debate is complete otherwise.

July 3rd, 2013, 11:04 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
..........I'm certain this will just seem like an anti-club moan but its meant with nothing more than constructive criticism, albeit from the point of view of an outsider. Apologies for any offence caused, whenever something like this is said there are those who put a lot of time and effort in who take it as a personal attack, which I think I've made clear it isn't.

No offence taken Russ, good point well made here.

Some of my lot did Auffay, some pics on 2cvtv btw.

I wonder if one of the root problems here re organising events is that, like many many other clubs and not only car/bike clubs either, is that there are so few new and/or young members getting really involved that existing events DO tend to drag on beyond their useful life with no new input to freshen things up. Ask anyone who's involved in any sort of club, be it, say, rifle shooting, cricket (spit), other sport etc about new young members joining. Not many, I'll bet. I suppose if they can't download it or Fakebook it they haven't got time (or the social skills) to go out and DO something.

July 3rd, 2013, 11:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next