View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Registers day 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Registers day
Russell wrote:
its representatives

Ah. There's the problem.

There are no "representatives". Just individuals, expressing their opinions.

Quote:
where I made a couple of suggestions was met with open minded discussion

See? That's the route forward. So perhaps make a couple of suggestions? Actual suggestions? Not just "I don't like... What do I want? Umm, I dunno. Free beer. Oh, and something vaguely like..."

Otherwise you're just one person who doesn't like what a lot of people seem to like.

Anyway, Reg? <shrug> I dunno. It happened happily somewhere in the background, but I didn't actually go to any of the _stuff_ laid on. I was too busy just having a laugh with mates in a field. Alcohol may have been involved. What more can one ask for?

July 4th, 2013, 10:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Ok,

Do something alongside a foreign club, Belgian, French, Dutch, whatever. Something involving meeting new people, maybe an element of friendly competition between 'them' and 'us'.

Do something with the racing club.

Look at what other car clubs do, check out a whole variety of different social scenes. Online, in real life, internationally, all that shit.

Oh, and 'individuals' that'd be the committee working for the club, right? Are they also discouraged from having new ideas?

Bored now.

July 4th, 2013, 10:21 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Oh, and 'individuals' that'd be the committee working for the club, right?

I'm not. Never had any kind of "job" in 2cvgb.

Quote:
Are they also discouraged from having new ideas?

Nobody's being discouraged. Quite the opposite.

July 4th, 2013, 10:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Field Plougher

I got given a free crate of beer at Brands. Do something with the racing club, or on a different weekend, please then I can come.

July 4th, 2013, 10:37 pm
Firing on two.

Any chance of moving the venue, like they do with the national, some where different every year, maybe a racing theme one year, a castle or national monument site the next year.. Mix it up a bit......

Even though I still haven't got the Dyane on the road, I would like to visit for the day,but when it's a 500+ miles round trip it puts me off somewhat..

I used to go every year back in the mid late 90's as I lived in Suffolk then and wasn't far to drive!!

Went to a classic vehicle show in raby castle a few weeks ago,(near Darlington for anyone who doesn't know) me and the boy had a great day out and when we got bored of the cars we went and looked around the castle!!

Since I moved north about 12 years ago I haven't been to a single register day, mainly because of where it is.....

That my suggestion.....

Dyane 12 1976 (ish)

If you don't play the game, don't make the fecking rules..

July 5th, 2013, 12:54 am
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Calm down.

Maybe attendance is up because there's not much else to go to?

I want making a personal attack, as I'm sure Max wasn't either. I suggested maybe instead of the same two events every year 'the club' took the initiative to try something new.

It appears to be the case that any such suggestion enrages its representatives who put two and two together, arrive at their answer of 'chrysanthemums' and blow their tops, clutching at unusual straws in attempts to launch a full scale 'OMG YOU BASTARDS, KILL, SCREAM ROAR' rant, shooting off at some wild tangents.

I don't understand why everybody has to have the desire to run a world meeting singlehandely before they're allowed to make suggestions or express an opinion.

Here's how it works every time. Somebody says something like:

'Im not sure I like or agree with XYZ'

Then the response is always:

'Well sort it out yourself'

When I join a club, organisation or group which I pay for, I expect some sort of hierarchy which, woven into its fabric expresses a desire to move with the times and take constructive critisism on board without lashing out at those who offer it. I don't expect to pay my subs only to be told to fuck off and do it yourself or wind your neck in.

I realise no enthusiasts club can entertain its members the way we were entertained by the racing community this weekend. However, one conversation I had with one of their directors where I made a couple of suggestions was met with open minded discussion, not a pig headed refusal to accept anything other than the status quo, nor was I told that until I was doing their job I could poke it.

One can surely see my reluctance to join such an organisation.

Lol er Russ...I am calm, nobody is lashing out or trying to rip your head off, I just don't understand the point you are trying to make.

It could be that you have missed the key fact that there are a large proportion of people who are now owning 2CV's actually want and enjoy something like Registers day. They certainly seem to.

I can understand that you don't like this, that is of course your right to like different things but to say that:

"I don't expect to pay my subs only to be told to fuck off and do it yourself or wind your neck in"

Who's ever said that? So far you are the only person to use the F word and again you missed the point.

I think you will find that we said that the same people seem to be willing to help organise events and that we'd love to have more people take the plunge and get stuck in to organise something new. However unless someone does the same poor souls end up keeping the wheels turning.

So you had a good time with the 2CV racing crowd - great, but 2cv racing isn't everyone's cup of tea. Just as you find people looking at old cars parked up, getting advice on restoration, technical help and a chance to go through the archives etc mystifying. How is Registers day any different that this forum brought to life? People meet talk and engage their love for the car. That's a good thing surely?

I've been to 2CV racing events and I will say now that I have never been so bored in my life. Attending a 24hr 2CV race was a waste of a day. Yes its fun if you are driving the car that's racing, or part of the pit team, but as a spectator its like watching paint dry. Its also not a cheap thing to attend, and most race tracks seem to have the most expensive food and drink on the planet. This is however just my point of view. I'm not saying something like "all 2CV racing is shite" just because I don't understand the fascination.

Also your comment:

"When I join a club, organisation or group which I pay for, I expect some sort of hierarchy which, woven into its fabric expresses a desire to move with the times and take constructive criticism on board without lashing out at those who offer it."

What I find interesting about this comment is that so far...you've not actually proposed any alternative ideas to me.

July 5th, 2013, 10:43 am
Firing on two.

Matt_S wrote:
Any chance of moving the venue, like they do with the national, some where different every year, maybe a racing theme one year, a castle or national monument site the next year.. Mix it up a bit......

Even though I still haven't got the Dyane on the road, I would like to visit for the day,but when it's a 500+ miles round trip it puts me off somewhat..

I used to go every year back in the mid late 90's as I lived in Suffolk then and wasn't far to drive!!

Went to a classic vehicle show in raby castle a few weeks ago,(near Darlington for anyone who doesn't know) me and the boy had a great day out and when we got bored of the cars we went and looked around the castle!!

Since I moved north about 12 years ago I haven't been to a single register day, mainly because of where it is.....

That my suggestion.....

Hi Matt

Good to hear from you. The current venue is pretty well connected transport wise and is fairly central. Its not perfect I accept that but it is good. We did shift the event day to Saturday to give long distance members plenty of time to arrive and time to get home, but so far the membership has overwhelmingly asked for it to return to a Sunday.

Burleigh Hill has been booked again for next year, but that is likely to be its last year. The new Reg of Reg who replaces me will be looking to change venue for 2015 so by all means if you have any suggestions for a venue let us know.

Any chance of a camp up your way? Its been ages since the last Holy Island camp.

:-)

Cheers

Matt

July 5th, 2013, 11:14 am
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Ok,

Do something alongside a foreign club, Belgian, French, Dutch, whatever. Something involving meeting new people, maybe an element of friendly competition between 'them' and 'us'.

Do something with the racing club.

Look at what other car clubs do, check out a whole variety of different social scenes. Online, in real life, internationally, all that shit.

Oh, and 'individuals' that'd be the committee working for the club, right? Are they also discouraged from having new ideas?

Bored now.

Don't be bored :lol:

Well next years National is being organised with the 2CV Racing club and I know Sam and Emily Mackett are working on that one. Maybe you'd like to get in touch with them and pass on some ideas? I'm sure they'd appreciate that.

As for Reg Day next year, I've already been discussing this with Mark Lewis AKA SuperFinn, 2CVGB overseas co -ordinator, and we are sending an open invite to foreign 2CV clubs to attend. The venue's proximity to Cambridge will also stand us in good stead as its quite a tourist attraction.

Open to ideas on events etc, I've suggested some comedy solex based ones. So if there is some Jeux Sans Frontiers ideas but without the Stuart Hall paedophilia risk then lets hear them.
;-D

July 5th, 2013, 11:25 am
Firing on two.

Little Louis wrote:
I got given a free crate of beer at Brands. Do something with the racing club, or on a different weekend, please then I can come.

I did offer free beer to anyone that helped at Registers day and stood at the bar with my wallet open, but bizarrely no one asked. Oddly they bought me drinks instead. Apart from Simon Sobey...because he's tight and was celebrating the fact that his testicles have worked again. :lol:

July 5th, 2013, 11:29 am
Firing on two.

Has it always been like this or is this three pages of utter waffling bollocks a new thing? I might go next year, and it'll be the same old shit probably. I might enjoy it or I might come back feeling that I've wasted a weekend of my life.

Drive your 2cv. There's bigger things to worry about.

July 5th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next