View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Spain 2013 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Spain 2013
There were some real sick cars, hot coils, boiling batteries and cars not starting because the tappets had closed.
Know of one Mehari that had its fuel pump replaced (and I may review my stance on worn out pumps after a post mortem of the pump but looks like the lower pivot had dropped out due to lack of use ;)).
All we suffered was a broken window clip whivch led to a broken mirror on the M25 round London, at home the window clip doesn't get much use.

2800 miles and topped the engine with 250cl of oil for whole trip ( got 1l of oil in Alcaniz 'simply' for 2.5€ - still in boot unopened) but then id set off with the oil just over the minimum mark.

Last edited by Sean on August 11th, 2013, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2013, 10:54 am
Firing on two.

can I just interject and say I reckon this extremity of flying solo to huge distances on silly little old engines, must be unique to the 2cv lot. I ´m pretty sure the ford guys only go in large groups to say holland and germany, the scooter chaps either get towed or do far shorter distances, the beetle folks I don´t know.

hats off to you all, i´d be dreading a 2800 mile trip in a brand new car let alone an old classic

just saying as you probably all take this for granted but as an outsider its an amazing feat!

August 11th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Firing on two.

sig wrote:
the beetle folks I don´t know.

just saying as you probably all take this for granted but as an outsider its an amazing feat!

yup took great pleasure overtaking all the washing machines on their way to Bug Jam on the way out, 4 up with trailer and heavily loaded still took all those "custom" beetles on the M25 :lol: one drag car gave us a run for the money still he was solo but the weight of his piercings probably acted as a fair handicap.( probably needed an engine re build as the M25 is slightly longer than 1/4mile) ;)

the 2cv engine was a development of a light aircraft engine therefore its designed to sit at pretty much full throttle all day, the other benifit of 2cv world is there is usually some other nutter just a phonecall away willing to help any where, any time, in any country.

August 11th, 2013, 12:53 pm
Firing on two.

sig wrote:
can I just interject and say I reckon this extremity of flying solo to huge distances on silly little old engines, must be unique to the 2cv lot. I ´m pretty sure the ford guys only go in large groups to say holland and germany, the scooter chaps either get towed or do far shorter distances, the beetle folks I don´t know.

hats off to you all, i´d be dreading a 2800 mile trip in a brand new car let alone an old classic

When the engine was built Citroen did not believe it was up to the job so 1 engine was put on test rig, set to full throttle and run for 1000 hours non stop - It ran and was taken apart and everthing OK.

Make sure oil cooler is free from damage and clean (therefore oil temp OK) it should run and run. Also do not set ignition too advances (knocking).
My first Dyane I test drove from Northern France to Venice and around Italy and back. I had no knowledge of these little cars but it ran OK. Second one with turbo I test drove it around Germany - again no problem (over 3000kms each test run)

August 11th, 2013, 7:51 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

I'm driving more then 25 years of A Type know, so I think I can say a car can do the distance or not.... As Chrisw says, as long as the oiltemp is good and oil pressure, they will run almost forever (well you know what I mean)

When I decided to go with the Ami I took some spares with me....
regulator
alternator
(thought about a starter engine but heywe where 2 of us so we can push)
1 complete prop shaft
wiper blades
bulbs
ducktape (official sparepart of a A-type)
wire
fuses
2 ignition sets
2 condensators
1 spare 1-2-Spark
fan+fanwheel
4 sparkplugs
10 liters of engine oil
1 liter of gearbox oil
1 liter of brakefluid
2 fan belt
1 black coil, 1 brown coil.
all sorts of bolts and nuts.
suspension stuff
rearbrakecilinder
revision set master cilinder
tools to rebuild the total car at the side of the road.... (including 32 and 44mm nuttool)
12volt soldertool, multimeter

Bought a clutchset at Alcaniz just to be secured.....

So what could possibly happen to me........

At some point I checked engine oil level within 100km...... but hey my car made it....

Russ

August 11th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

We're back! 2778 miles (4472kms) covered. Mehari's a total legend, driven like a dream. Had to replace the fuel pump and retimed it to cope with heat/euro fuel but nothing major.

Have some pics. Many more will follow, but there's almost as many photos from 4 cameras as there have been miles.

August 11th, 2013, 8:57 pm
Firing on two.

August 11th, 2013, 9:10 pm
Firing on two.

Returned last saturday with a friends Dyane, had a great holiday! meeting was very well organised, we decided to arrive 1 day after the official start, because we didn't have a pre-registration and had some experience (salbris... took us 8 hours to get in with a pre-registration). this time we got in within 30 min!

after the meeting we drove back to France as fast as we could, it was just too hot!! we actually didn't do anything in spain... didn't meet anyone I knew, saw some dutchies drive by once or twice, but didn't have a chance to talk to them.

of course and had lots of fun with poekie as we baptized it: (can anyone make the links work so that they are directly visible please :) )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/citroenazu/9477935638/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/citroenazu/9477935382/

The dyane took us there and back again, it was just leaking oil a lot and we couldn't discover what the cause was. before the meeting I rebuilt the engine, new pistonrings, gaskets, oilfiller refurbished e.t.c. before we left I replaced the oilcooler for a 'new' one. At the meeting I replaced the oilfiller gasket again, and the hoses, but still leakage....... lost almost 2 liters of oil in 5000 km.... but that was the only problem we had!

August 12th, 2013, 8:30 am
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
We're back! 2778 miles (4472kms) covered. Mehari's a total legend, driven like a dream. Had to replace the fuel pump and retimed it to cope with heat/euro fuel but nothing major.

Have some pics. Many more will follow, but there's almost as many photos from 4 cameras as there have been miles.

Great pics Sam and pleased all went well.

August 12th, 2013, 9:08 am
Firing on two.

sig wrote:
, the scooter chaps either get towed or do far shorter distances,

Objection your honour..although vanning scooters to rallies is rife these days there are quite a few of us do good distances on them without trailers or vans particularly from the UK..we did northern Italy via Holland and s.e France (rally in Avignon) this year, on a 1963, two 1975 and a 1960 lambretta all around 200cc on a 2 week tour 8-) I do something like it every year, we were in Gijon in that rain 3 years ago :shock:
Doing the miles on them and in the 2cv is all part of the adventure for me, they are perfectly capable of it if well set up and maintained :)
But there's a lot less worry and spanner work with a healthy 2cv than a Lambretta that's for sure :lol:

August 12th, 2013, 9:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next