View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 classic car show nec 
Spellin Bea

Post Re: classic car show nec
i kinda agree with you russ i was staring at them all day i never really "fell in love" with them, yes there nice and rare. but a real french ripple just seems to have look about it thats makes you want to be a old french peasant whizzing around in it:lol:

November 17th, 2010, 12:18 am
Firing on two.

Maybe I should come clean about my dirty secret.... i'm just not that keen on ripple bonnets... sorry.
And I agree, I think 'sloughs' look a bit fussy.

November 17th, 2010, 12:47 am
Firing on two.

SAM!!! That's heresy. ;)

Personally speaking, my favourite 2cv is a c1957 AZL, French built, Home (French) market. The archetypal 2cv. I also have a love of Traction Avants, again it has to be French built and Home market. I like Slough Tractions, but much, much prefer a Paris built motor.

November 17th, 2010, 1:02 am
Firing on two.

Sorry Jonathan, the best looking 2cv ever is the first of the five rib bonnets, with suicide doors and small bumpers. That's the sweet spot. Everything before or after is less pleasing.

November 17th, 2010, 1:05 am
Firing on two.

:) I know where you're coming from, Russ. Those early sixties cars were/are something special. It's the pastel shades that's been spoken of in another thread that help, I do sometimes wish I'd gone for one of those paint finishes on my car.

November 17th, 2010, 1:12 am

For me it's the whole concept of 2cv that attracts me, not just one kind of model. The Slough-cars is a part of the story, and for me that have never seen these cars before it was magic to see them.

If I have to choose only one model, I really don't know which one. Should it be used as a daily summer driver, or only to the local grocery store, maybe only to world meetings, national meetings, local rallies or what?

November 17th, 2010, 2:15 pm
Firing on two.

PerI wrote:
Thanks again to the guy on the right with white t-shirt :)

Mark Dunmore. 2cvgb Dyane Registrar and all round top bloke.

November 19th, 2010, 1:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
2CV Fan

Joolz wrote:
PerI wrote:

There was a conversation around here recently about metallic paints, someone said the paint on some ripples was described as metallic, well that certainly looks metallic, is it in the flesh? It also looks like it's got a pink/purple pearlescent flip, but I assume that's just the lights. Thinking about it, that would be hilariously tasteless.

Yeah, it's definitely metallic grey, Joolz, and it is the lighting that's given it the pinky tinge (thank heaven...).

Not the same metallic grey that was used on the very early French 2CVs though - that was far more silvery, rather reminiscent of a new dustbin.... It is, in fact, the same colour as was generally used on accessories at Slough, like seat frame and steering wheel on other colour schemes (se the pic of John's interior). It actually took a bit of reproducing, in fact, as it doesn't appear in the list of ICI Hilux colours that were in use on the Slough vehicles. It also involved some painstaking exploration to establish that it truly was the colour the Pick-up was originally painted, as it seemed hard to believe!

Having said that, it probably is 'too shiny', but there's little one can do to help that: the original colour was in a single component material, the like of which simply doesn't exist in today's paint technology - thus, it was make do with basecoat and lacquer...

November 20th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

Little Louis wrote:
I agree about wing mirrors bumpers and headlamp bar, don't know why I like the bonnet thing, but I do. Were there any french factory original pickups?

Non, jamais - they were all conversions by carrosserie firms, probably with Citroen's blessing, some at least.

November 20th, 2010, 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

pete wrote:
Little Louis wrote:
I agree about wing mirrors bumpers and headlamp bar, don't know why I like the bonnet thing, but I do. Were there any french factory original pickups?

Non, jamais - they were all conversions by carrosserie firms, probably with Citroen's blessing, some at least.

Even the Michelin ones?

November 21st, 2010, 12:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4