View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 12:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 A bit annoyed 
Old Bloke

Post A bit annoyed
I was sorry to see that Russell had locked the thread "Is there going to be an Inter-National in 2010".

Having made the unjustified claim that 2CVGB doesn't like I2F which set off some discussion on the subject. The debate has now been curtailed without any conclusion or evidence that the claim is real or not.

This smacks of censorship.

And there was me thinking that this forum didn't want to squash real debate and discussion. Russell you are wrong on two counts.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

December 16th, 2009, 10:35 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: A bit annoyed
Wasnt aware there was any real animosity......ok so this one came out of a few of the young pups being excluded from 2cv gb forum for doing what the youth do.....

dont think its personal just that some of the comitee of 2cv gb aint that keen on their own forum either from what i have gathered... in the past...allegedly

i do quite like it in here its more Public bar, with the odd bit of rowdy behaviour and dogs, compared to Lounge bar 2cvgb with its family friendly atmosphere and all polite.

;) Sean

December 16th, 2009, 10:47 am
Firing on two.

I may be wrong but don't 99% of those who go to the 2CVGB forum also come on here? However speaking to local club members 99% don't go to either forums. I enjoy forums and belong to quite a number (gardening, motorcycling, travel, TV, Honda ST1100, etc) but many don't appear to like them.

December 16th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Firing on two.

Vicki is doing a doctorate at the moment and its all to do with the social capital model, education styles and on line learning.

She cites this and the 2cvgb web forum as an excellent example of social capital in action where the diverse and dispersed community (2cv owners) benifit from a pooled and easily accesible knowledge base without which they would be isolated and the group/individual would break down......literally in our case. :lol:

individually we all have a bit of knowledge but when its pooled and we bounce ideas off each other it becomes a powerfull tool which benifits the whole 2cv community.

Sean

December 16th, 2009, 1:14 pm
I think (and may be utterly wrong here) that it's like in most cases-you only ever hear or at least acknowlege the negative remarks made by the minority and not the silent majority. I've only heard one person that has been slightly negative (publicly) about I2F and that was purely because the 2CVGB website was down and they'd already set up an "Emergency Forum" and felt it was unfair to plug I2F as an alternative.

I'm still a memeber of 2CVGB and intend to remain so. I know (I've suffered it first hand on many an occasion) that there's a fair bit of snobbery creeping into the club but still believe that it's in the minority

As for the "fun" aspect of 2CVGB that people feel is lacking, I don't blame the club-I blame the country. We've turned in to "Little America" and are all so scared of having the arses sued off ourselves that by stopping people bonnet sledging etc is a (possibly) wise precaution. It only takes one person to complain to bring everything crashing down around us.

Also, families. They have to be taken into consideration, I'm not a fan of kids or the effect they and their families can have on our entertainment but, they are the future, so, don't give people reason to complain and take the kids away from the 2CV "culture" because they'll be having the same rants in 10 or 20 years time!

That's my 2 penneth.

December 16th, 2009, 3:11 pm
Firing on two.

spanners wrote:
Also, families. They have to be taken into consideration, I'm not a fan of kids or the effect they and their families can have on our entertainment but, they are the future, so, don't give people reason to complain and take the kids away from the 2CV "culture" because they'll be having the same rants in 10 or 20 years time!

Well, quite. You only need to look at what early exposure to bonnet-sledging and other such shameless shenanigans has turned the last round of impressionable sprogs into.

December 16th, 2009, 3:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Old Bloke

spanners wrote:
As for the "fun" aspect of 2CVGB that people feel is lacking, I don't blame the club-I blame the country. We've turned in to "Little America" and are all so scared of having the arses sued off

Absolutely correct Jon. The vast majority of members are "live and let live" but some aren't and they seem to get the lions share of attention.

The club had great public liability insurance when I was in office with very few exclusions. As an example of how things get restricted, I was asked by someone [who shall remain nameless, lets call him cheese and onion] if bonfires were OK at camps. I advised that there was no exclusion for bonfires. I was asked to clarify if they were OK. I repeated the above but was eventually boxed into a corner to officially ask if bonfires were OK. Once asked officially the insurance company excluded them.

The point I have been trying to make is that whilst there are a few fun police within 2CVGB, the generalisation that 2CVGB doesn't like I2F is not true and repeating the claim will only make it come true.

Now at the next camp if I hear any duff duff music I will be sending a letter of complaint to.............. ;)

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

December 16th, 2009, 4:05 pm
grifftravel wrote:
The point I have been trying to make is that whilst there are a few fun police within 2CVGB, the generalisation that 2CVGB doesn't like I2F is not true and repeating the claim will only make it come true.

That was kind of what I was trying to say but quite so eloquently. 8-)

December 16th, 2009, 4:45 pm
Field Plougher

Sean wrote:
compared to Lounge bar 2cvgb with its family friendly atmosphere and all polite.

I think there is possibly (dont hold me to this) a bigger age range on here with the youth (me, diddy and tom) being on here so i guess is less pilite but if you dont want to look at somthing you dont have to.

Im not sure this will make the point I want it to, any way if ypu dont understand what im trying to say because its poorly worded just skip past it.

December 16th, 2009, 6:15 pm
super slot

Sean wrote:
Wasnt aware there was any real animosity......ok so this one came out of a few of the young pups being excluded from 2cv gb forum for doing what the youth do.....

That's simply not true. Neither myself or Russell have been excluded. I choose to stop posting on the 2cvgb forum after i was ordered to publically apologise for posting an image of a badly photoshopped lady in a state of undress posing next to an Acadiane. I did apologise, and it sparked a debate as to what is classed as socially acceptable - it was clear peoples ideas differed vastly. Russell has his reasons too, but that's for him to tell.

December 16th, 2009, 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next