View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 143  Next
 My old Blue Bamboo 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My old Blue Bamboo
Update! There is some wiring in there Bertie, honest there is :P

http://olsnails2cv.blogspot.com/

October 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Old-Nail wrote:
Update! There is some wiring in there Bertie, honest there is :P

http://olsnails2cv.blogspot.com/

Well as you may or may not know, I decided to rebuild my loom from scratch rather try to piece together someone elses handywork and I used this diagram http://www.2cvstuff.com/Files/Wiring/Wi ... t%2081.pdf which I found extremely useful (although I do have the advantage of being an aircraft electrician!).

If it's any help, I thought the logical way to tackle it was to start with the battery, alternator & starter motor then the yellow fused circuit followed by the lights (red fuse) and then the circuits that are switched through the ignition (blue circuit). Of course not all models had the same wiring, but I found that this diagram was a good basis.

Something that I used to do with aircraft wiring diagrams was to fablon them and then use a non permanent marker pen to trace along the lines as I physically connected or replaced the wires in order to keep track of progress.

Hope this helps.

October 23rd, 2009, 10:12 am
Firing on two.

Thanks for that Bertie, that diagram might just help me make sense of some of the stray wires!
I think my main problem has been in identifying wires that shouldn't be there, and finding out why they are! For example, where a radio was once fitted and now isn't but the mess of wires remain. Same goes for a wire that runs on the outside of the harness along to the front for some reason?

I'm proceeding a bit cautiously as i don't want to remove something I shouldn't, but at the same time if I don't remove anything I tend to have a surplus of wires! :?

I think it's one of those left brain/right brain things with me, people say to me that they 'Can't draw or paint to save their life' until I show them how. Whereas I'm the opposite, give me anything logical or remotely mathematical and I start humming and looking out the window! :lol:

Is it a coincidence that these two look the similar by the way? :roll:

Hyroglyphics

Wiring diagram

October 23rd, 2009, 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I still have no idea how electricity works. I know that it goes along wires, and if some of those wires touch things then they spark and things that the wires made work then don't work.

What I don't understand is how does electricity actually do what it does? I know how pneumatics work, and i know how hydraulics work, because I can see or feel things moving along hoses and forcing other things to move. With elecricity, nothing appears to move until 'electricity' makes it move. How does that work?

Actually, don't explain it, because I know I won't understand... :oops:

October 23rd, 2009, 5:42 pm
Firing on two.

You know, it's funny you say that because I have a problem with the other way round. I tend to understand how and why particles behave in a certain way (obviously not to crazy quantum levels) but engineering quandries always take me so much longer...

Maybe that's why I'm so inept at physical work but am a marketing sell-out! It's all about the theory! :)

October 23rd, 2009, 6:24 pm
Firing on two.

DubDefector wrote:
You know, it's funny you say that because I have a problem with the other way round. I tend to understand how and why particles behave in a certain way (obviously not to crazy quantum levels) but engineering quandries always take me so much longer...

Maybe that's why I'm so inept at physical work but am a marketing sell-out! It's all about the theory! :)

I understand where you're coming from, I can listen to, and recite theory no problem, but until I can actually *see* something work, then in my mind, it doesn't, or shouldn't!

I like Kevin Bloody Wilsons theory about the best trade to be in between a sparky or a plumber. Plumbing; all you need to know is water flows down and payday's Thursday...

October 23rd, 2009, 6:33 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
DubDefector wrote:
Plumbing; all you need to know is water flows down and payday's Thursday...

That sounds like my kinda guy! ;)

I took another look at the wires behind the dash earlier, I'm sure I'll sort it in the end, but what a royal pain in the ass! I'd much rather be spraying paint...far more fun! 8-)

October 23rd, 2009, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
I still have no idea how electricity works. I know that it goes along wires, and if some of those wires touch things then they spark and things that the wires made work then don't work.

What I don't understand is how does electricity actually do what it does? I know how pneumatics work, and i know how hydraulics work, because I can see or feel things moving along hoses and forcing other things to move. With elecricity, nothing appears to move until 'electricity' makes it move. How does that work?

Actually, don't explain it, because I know I won't understand... :oops:

You should probably say you don't want to understand... :D :geek: Anyway, all you need to know at the end of the day is that it goes form + to - and that things connected inbetween will work when they are okay...

October 23rd, 2009, 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

What if, like on a Morris Minor, it happens to be + earth? It would go from - to + then :? Don't even want to fill my head with that little thought, so I'll try and disregard it :lol:

October 23rd, 2009, 9:21 pm
Firing on two.

sopwithcamel wrote:
What if, like on a Morris Minor, it happens to be + earth? It would go from - to + then :?

It doesn't work like that does it?

No Bart, you're right, I probably don't want to learn!

October 23rd, 2009, 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 143  Next