View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 1967 Ami6 Break 
Firing on two.

Post Re: 1967 Ami6 Break
Punky wrote:
Good lookin' Ami. Nice work.

My Ami had the same problem with the engine.

The leaking manifold? It's annoying! It started when Harry and I put the engine in before Czech, so I took the manifold off, retapped the head (the stud was broken) and fitted a bolt. On the way back from Czech it started to leak again so I tapped the hole m8 and fitted a bigger bolt, and another new set of gaskets, it's been leaking worse and worse and I've given up fixing it, now I will have to fit a new head. I'm waiting for a set of pistons to arrive so I can build a new engine for it, until then I will just put up with it.

March 23rd, 2010, 12:22 pm
Firing on two.

I have tapped one of my heads to 8mm on the manifold and put a bolt with thread lock in and it has been ok, not sure how it will be when i come to remove it tho

March 23rd, 2010, 3:34 pm
Firing on two.

New arms with black wheels.

Only driven it up the road but it feels ok. Will never grip properly with those 'tyres' on it but hopefully the old falla will fit my last pair of 135 mich's to it this week.

March 23rd, 2010, 6:05 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
New arms with black wheels.

Only driven it up the road but it feels ok. Will never grip properly with those 'tyres' on it but hopefully the old falla will fit my last pair of 135 mich's to it this week.

LOL so when they see you in France the Cops will pull you over for seemingly overloading an Ami 6 service with Ricard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

March 23rd, 2010, 6:29 pm
2CV Fan

Russell wrote:
Punky wrote:
Good lookin' Ami. Nice work.

My Ami had the same problem with the engine.

The leaking manifold? It's annoying! It started when Harry and I put the engine in before Czech, so I took the manifold off, retapped the head (the stud was broken) and fitted a bolt. On the way back from Czech it started to leak again so I tapped the hole m8 and fitted a bigger bolt, and another new set of gaskets, it's been leaking worse and worse and I've given up fixing it, now I will have to fit a new head. I'm waiting for a set of pistons to arrive so I can build a new engine for it, until then I will just put up with it.

My piston was filled with holes and the head was ruined. Because of lose fitting of one of the heads. So I fitted another head and new pistons and cilinders.

March 23rd, 2010, 6:53 pm
Firing on two.

Looking good, that's a fair helping of negative camber you got going on there. I rather fancy a set of them stainless track rod adjusters as well, (city are cheapest at £40), but the 'accounts department' keep pointing out the the originals work just fine without being shiny. :roll:

March 24th, 2010, 1:14 am
Firing on two.

I agree Joolz, I'd like a set of them too, they'd be especially handy on the ami where it's a PITA to get to the adjusters with the car in one piece.

I removed the head which had been retapped and to my suprise it hadn't been eroded at all, but the thread was weak where it'd been tapped and I didn't fancy using it again, it did cross my mind to run a drill right through the head and use a long bolt with a nut on, but as I've got another head here I thought it'd be easier for the time being to just change it for another one.

The thing is, I've never been one to bother about binning something that needed repairing and just fitting another. But looking at the head I just removed made me think. Can the (now m8) hole where there should be an m7 manifold stud be repaired easily and fitted with another stud, ie, with a helicoil or similar?

April 15th, 2010, 7:52 am
Firing on two.

Joolz wrote:
Looking good, that's a fair helping of negative camber you got going on there. I rather fancy a set of them stainless track rod adjusters as well

Russell wrote:
I agree Joolz, I'd like a set of them too, they'd be especially handy on the ami where it's a PITA to get to the adjusters with the car in one piece.

Don't forget that the Ami 6 probably has the thicker track-rods, chaps...

Joolz wrote:
(city are cheapest at £40)

Mebbe on the website, but by the time it actually gets invoiced?

April 15th, 2010, 8:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:
Joolz wrote:
Joolz wrote:
(city are cheapest at £40)

Mebbe on the website, but by the time it actually gets invoiced?

Spoke to the owner three weeks ago when I called in there, the entire website prices had just been updated, so cheapest prices you'll find I think.

April 15th, 2010, 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Can the (now m8) hole where there should be an m7 manifold stud be repaired easily and fitted with another stud, ie, with a helicoil or similar?

It's possible to make a stepped stud by tig welding a piece of 7mm to a piece of 8mm. I've done it before to make one that stepped from 6mm up to 12mm. I'd had to drill a hole massively oversize to remove a broken tap, bad times.

Thinking about it, Honda use a stepped stud on some/one of their bikes, could be a VFR, I can't remember off the top of my head if it's 6/7mm or 7/8mm. I'll have a poke around in the workshop and see what I find.

Otherwise it would be possible to weld up the hole and then re-drill and tap it, you'd need a little jig of some sort to make sure the new hole was in the right place and straight.

April 15th, 2010, 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next