View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 1220cc Flat-4 Mehari DEATH project started... 
Trouble Maker

Post Re: 1220cc Flat-4 Mehari DEATH project started...
I'm good friends with Pete Sparrow. We grew up together and he was my best man and stuff. In the late 80's (bugger showing my age) Pete unwound the gearbox of his dad's Mehari and so his dad suggested a 1220 replacement engine as an alternative - wish I had a dad like this!!

So Pete & his dad shoehorned in the 1220 unit - twin exhaust, fast s and nice and loud. The car performed well, however for me it lacked the surprise element. Not many people know what a Merhari is, so the fact that we had a very fast one made little difference as people didnt know they were slow in the first place.

We went on to build 3 sidewinder 2cv, although it was nearly impossible to tell as Pete made a GRP bonnet and stretched front wings, so no bulge was visible - mrs. This then gave the surprise factor to other motorists when then tried and failed to overtake.

Best bit - 1987 traveling in Petes 1220 5 speed 2cv at 120mph on a closed road - honest!

My advise to Ade however - you are a good mate - fit airbags!

Rich

www.barbour4x4.com

January 30th, 2009, 2:45 am
Firing on two.

Little Rich wrote:
My advise to Ade however - you are a good mate - fit airbags!

How many times did you die in all those 4-pot A-series, Rich?

January 30th, 2009, 2:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Trouble Maker

Only died a couple of times. Am amazed we lasted this long!

I had a 1015 ami engined 2cv - Blue

Pete had a 1220 with 5 speed gearbox - White

and Wobs (Jon Wood) had a 1220 as well - Red

We appeared in the 1986 or 87 L2Brighton video

Doors opening at the top becomes an issue over 100mph - We hit 125mph once on a closed road.

I'll try to scan some photos - well before the digital age!

Kind Regards

Rich

www.barbour4x4.com

January 31st, 2009, 1:02 am
Firing on two.

spanners wrote:
Matt S wrote:
Tim your comment on never rolled an a series, i rekon a wrong weighted ami super chassis and a light weight body makes it possible, I could have rolled the blue dyane 1300 if id tried a bit harder. and if it all got out of shape then i think it would be easy.

I used to drive my old aks400 Super like an absolute twat, I'd raised the suspension up so it sat at roughly the right height for said van and as I said, drove like an idiot.

I never once felt like it was gonna tip over despite the rather high centre of gravity. I even got outrageously shit yer pants scary understeer on a very hot and dry day on tarmac rather than rolling it.................................. :shock:

That said, I'm still not saying it's impossible to roll one, but hope it's not gonna happen obviously :)

Is that the AKS400 that you used to have that was a bit bent because it had been rolled?

January 31st, 2009, 12:43 pm
Firing on two.

Little Rich wrote:
Doors opening at the top becomes an issue over 100mph

Y'see? This is what happens when you go all un-necessary with fripperies and luxuries like doors.

January 31st, 2009, 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jono wrote:
spanners wrote:
Matt S wrote:
Tim your comment on never rolled an a series, i rekon a wrong weighted ami super chassis and a light weight body makes it possible, I could have rolled the blue dyane 1300 if id tried a bit harder. and if it all got out of shape then i think it would be easy.

I used to drive my old aks400 Super like an absolute twat, I'd raised the suspension up so it sat at roughly the right height for said van and as I said, drove like an idiot.

I never once felt like it was gonna tip over despite the rather high centre of gravity. I even got outrageously shit yer pants scary understeer on a very hot and dry day on tarmac rather than rolling it.................................. :shock:

That said, I'm still not saying it's impossible to roll one, but hope it's not gonna happen obviously :)

Is that the AKS400 that you used to have that was a bit bent because it had been rolled?

Erm, yeah :oops:

However, that damage/roll was caused when someone fell off a road somewhere as opposed to rolling it on a corner or the likes.:ugeek:

January 31st, 2009, 2:05 pm
gym bunny

Quote:
I'll try to scan some photos - well before the digital age!

Woop! Rich, any pictures of sidewinders would be good...(especially ones with Alfa Carbs one!)

Start a new thread off. Sidewinder thread!

February 1st, 2009, 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Trouble Maker

Will see what I can do....will have to scan old photo's

Rich

www.barbour4x4.com

February 3rd, 2009, 12:45 am

Russell wrote:
...but here's the car itself with, at the wheel, probably the most dangerous man I've ever seen. Ace!

EFA.

HTH.

;) :mrgreen:

February 5th, 2009, 11:17 am
Firing on two.

DavenotEd wrote:
Russell wrote:
...but here's the car itself with, at the wheel, probably the most dangerous man I've ever seen. Ace!

EFA.

HTH.

;) :mrgreen:

Some say that he can turn this pile of crap into a car.
All we know is that they call him... The MIG.

February 5th, 2009, 11:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next