View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 100  Next
 My 2cv 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My 2cv
I'm thinking about tackling some areas of rust and a bit of corrosion that has been taking hold over the past few years. The shop at the island garage up the road has a Dremel and I have been thinking about buying it to help me remove the rust. Is that a wise move or a terrible one? I mean to be a gentle as possible, but there are a few areas that I think would require a bit more effort to clean up. Comes from living on a very small island with a salty atmosphere.

November 28th, 2017, 12:45 am
Firing on two.

Dremel works nice, after ut on some rust converter and than a good primer and paint. Dremel has good little steel wire brushes.

November 28th, 2017, 9:35 am
Firing on two.

Thank you :)

I have a new problem. I managed to use the car yesterday afternoon and it ran really nice, no issues or concerns. It's been a dry day so far today, so I popped out to the garage and started the car. It started first time and ran fine with the usual amount of choke. It then cut out after half a minute or so and has refused to run after a few attempts to restart. I have over half a tank of fuel, but I don't appear to be getting any of it to the carburettor. I have a fuel filter fitted between the pump and carb, and there is a small amount of fuel in the bottom of it, but after I removed the pipe to the carburettor and placed the open end in an old jam jar, there is no sign of petrol in the jar after I've cranked the engine over. The pump was new around 5 years ago. Car has not done astronomical mileage in that time. I manage around 6k a year. Any suggestions?

November 28th, 2017, 5:00 pm
Firing on two.

Is the piece of tube between tank and fuelline ok? Is your filter in the tank clean? For the rest open the pump body and check if the valves are working. I had one once were a valve came loose of the body. Succes.

November 28th, 2017, 6:01 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks again for your help. The fuel lines were completely replaced by quite expensive modern stuff at the same time as the pump, so it's not that old, to be honest. Just don't understand how it was faultless yesterday, yet didn't even manage to get it out of the garage today. Doesn't help that sunset is 3pm, so it'll be completely dark by the time I get home from work tomorrow, so no chance of getting it sorted any time soon. :(

November 28th, 2017, 9:14 pm
2CV Fan

Had a failed pump years back , it left me stranded in the middle of nowhere ,found if I removed the petrol tank filler cap and blew hard into the petrol tank sealing it with my face , it filled the carb and got me another 3 miles each time , but didn’t impress my hot date , she was not impressed with my petrol after shave aroma :D

November 29th, 2017, 10:46 pm
Firing on two.

Don't discount the pipe from the tank because it can be difficult to get at, it may not have been changed!

When mine failed, I disconnected the long pipe at the front. When no fuel syphoned out, I was suspicious. When I sucked on the pipe, I could feel I was sucking air.

In true BBC fashion .... Other faults are available. :D

December 2nd, 2017, 1:12 am
Firing on two.

Yeah, the tank was dropped and the entire fuel line was renewed, including that short piece that usually ends up causing trouble. Even though that was around 5 years ago the pipe still looks to be in very good condition (what I can see), but that's not to say it's still good at the tank end.

December 2nd, 2017, 7:55 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

As long as the 'front to rear' pipe is the original (nylon) type, you've only got to worry about the short lengths of rubber hose at either end.
That hasn't stopped some folk from using rubber hose from 'end to end', which isn't the best plan, in my opinion.
All fuel hose is permeable, albeit to differing degrees and it's usually only the inner lining of a hose which is resistant to ethanol...

December 3rd, 2017, 3:15 am
Firing on two.

Managed a quick half hour session this afternoon which seems to have provided me with fairly concrete evidence. I had already removed the pipe from the carburettor as mentioned previously and found no fuel flowing up from the pump. Well, today I removed the pipe at the junction behind the front wheel and fuel pissed out from the tank side of the pipe. So clearly the fuel line from the tank to the front of the car is fine. That only leaves the pump as the culprit, unless someone can suggest another cause. 8-)

December 3rd, 2017, 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 999 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 100  Next