View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 SCALLY RALLY AZU 
Firing on two.

Post Re: SCALLY RALLY AZU
rebel2cv wrote:
Although I'm no elton John, I am a musician. I've been in my fair share of bands, one of which got paid gigs. Every single penny we got from gigs went straight into the pot, and was put towards recording and equipment. The reason we played was purely because we enjoyed it, the thrill of spending an hour on a stage playing music you love, you just can't beat the feeling.

You'd have turned down a lucrative recording contract, in seconds flat, wouldn't you?

March 13th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Damn! Didn't finish before submitting! Most of the gigs we played were charity, raising money for various cancers, childrens hospices etc. Normally we'd end up out of pocket due to fuel costs, and having to take three or four cars. If your really bored have a listen, I believe the site is still there.. http://Www.myspace.com/onemembershort

March 13th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Firing on two.

That's artistry. I paint pictures because I get something out of them, or better yet they get something out of me. It's a passion. That doesn't automatically entitle me to fabulous wealth or a film star lifestyle though. I'm skint, and it's because I paint pictures. I could always go drive a truck for more money if that's what I wanted.

Society doesn't need paintings, it needs roads, builders, nurses and a whole lot of other stuff before it need paintings, so I accept that being skint is my choice. So why do we need Rooney and co? What do they possibly do to benefit their nation? FA. So why such high esteem and rewards?

I'm not saying that those individuals should turn it down if offered, I'm saying why-t-f should it be offered? It's obscene.

March 13th, 2011, 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Record contract? What's one of those? That was never going to happen! We entered competitions, the only one we won was 'tesco's got tallent'. We won £600 for Marie curie. It's a dog eat dog world in the music business, I studied it in college, and seen it first hand. Yes it's enjoyable, but it's spoilt by money- like football, or motor racing.

March 13th, 2011, 9:47 pm
Firing on two.

Old-Nail wrote:
I'm not saying that those individuals should turn it down if offered, I'm saying why-t-f should it be offered? It's obscene.

It's quite simple. A lot of people WANT TO WATCH football. They're happy to pay a lot of money to do so. They're happy to pay a lot of money to wear replica shirts. They're happy to pay a lot of money to watch it on TV, so the TV companies are happy to pay a lot of money to be able to show it to them.

And the amount of money that the football companies can charge depends on one thing - having a better set of trained chimps than the other football companies. So - since they get a lot of money in by having a good set of trained chimps, they can afford to pay the best-trained chimps a lot of money.

Those same people are also happy to make purchasing decisions on the back of association with their preferred set of trained chimps. So other companies are happy to pay a lot of money for that association.

It's all basic supply and demand. A lot of people are happy to pay a lot of money for something very few can supply.

You don't like it? <shrug> Don't pay to watch it. If nobody paid to watch it, there wouldn't be as much money to pay those trained chimps. Don't buy products sold-by-association. If it gave no competitive advantage, they'd find cheaper ways to market their products.

But don't moan if other people don't agree with you. They may prefer you not to do some of the things you choose to do - but you wouldn't like 'em banning 'em.

March 13th, 2011, 9:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Old-Nail wrote:
toomany2cvs wrote:
Old-Nail wrote:
Don't forget - Accrington Stanley is northern.

I think I met him once.

I have it on very good authority that a certain forum member lives there. Although I couldn't possibly mention who. I wouldn't want to have the lad blushing, and James has done absolutely nothing to deserve it.

Accrington Stanley??? Who 'ah 'dey?

WE ARE THEY...

March 13th, 2011, 9:57 pm
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:

It's quite simple. A lot of people WANT TO WATCH football. They're happy to pay a lot of money to do so. They're happy to pay a lot of money to wear replica shirts. They're happy to pay a lot of money to watch it on TV, so the TV companies are happy to pay a lot of money to be able to show it to them. etc etc

Yes I know all that. What I asked was what do they do for the benefit of the nation? If the answer is that they allow bunches of fat beer-bellied oiks the world over gather together and shout "You-what You-what You-what?" at each other then it's hardly a higher calling is it? Thousand of young men and women are currently over in a shit-hole they'd never even heard off before on wages of a pittance, while others are stitching what's left of them back together again at home.

Talk all you want about commercial supply and demand and how that works, but I think we've lost sight of what's really important, and who are the folks truly deserving of star studded gala evenings and public adulation. I understand the mechanisms, I just happen to think they stink.

March 13th, 2011, 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Here you go Chris, some photos of Claude when I first had my hands on him-before I even thought of purchasing him!

Bottom of chassis looking forwards

Chassis side rail just behind front axle.

With the "structura"l front wings and engine removed!

March 20th, 2011, 1:31 am
Firing on two.

Fuck me! Pretty rough! I've got a new project ;)

Thought it'd be wise to learn to weld on something other than Claude! (dads car, but he's leaving it to me to weld, and re-spray)
Always good to see new pics though mate, cheers!

March 20th, 2011, 2:51 am
lovin' the snatch

likes like its in less pieces than mine mate! :)

everyones got one of these pointy squarer 2cv's now! :P

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

March 20th, 2011, 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next