View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 '85 Charleston 
Firing on two.

Post Re: '85 Charleston
Thanks lads! I saw that coupling and thought it was a good compromise but the MOT manual forbids coupling brake lines with separate ferrules so no go on that :( .

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... ion-1-1-11

I guess it would be OK for off roaders and racers ;) .

March 7th, 2021, 9:04 pm
Firing on two.

Quote:
Argh! the pipe union bolt to the wheel cylinder has corroded to nothing and seized to the copper nickel pipes on both sides

What you can do, is loosen the cylinder from the arm, clamp the pipe union bolt in a vice grip or locking grip or what it's called, and then not rotate the pipe union, but the brake cylinder. This way you will not snap the pipe when it is stuck to the pipe union. Mount the new cylinder in reverse order.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

March 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm
Firing on two.

Cheers Erik! I tried that but the bolt was so badly corroded there was nothing really left I could get vice grips to latch onto :( .
The old van with the flexible hoses was a much better arrangement, Citroen should have stuck with that IMO.

March 8th, 2021, 8:50 pm
Firing on two.

Waiting for the new parts to arrive from ECAS gives me plenty of time to get the rusty/broken bits ready.

ImageP1030257 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

Sorry about the poor photo :oops: this shows the broken studs. when I was working on this I was in a bad mood and not focussed on the task. I know that when the nuts go tight, that's the time to stop and think about it, maybe have a smoke or a coffee etc. but i kept on going and ...snap! I should and could have split the nut with a small, sharp chisel and everything would have been fine , but no, so now I have to fix it, what would you do :?:

ImageP1030283 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

a couple of other options but I chose to clamp the arm to a level surface, support it with the drill table and drill 5mm. holes through the remnants of the old studs.

ImageP1030285 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

ImageP1030286 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

not too bad, something's going right for a change :lol:

ImageP1030290 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

insert captions here ;) .

ImageP1030288 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

6mm. tap going in...

ImageP1030289 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

not too shabby as they say.

ImageP1030287 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

Meanwhile, the primer slowly dries, over here we had a 6 month MOT extension 'cos of Covid, This means that instead of doing this in Summer, I'm stuck doing this in flamin' March, Brrr :roll: :D .

March 13th, 2021, 8:25 pm
Firing on two.

this shows the broken studs. when I was working on this I was in a bad mood and not focussed on the task. I know that when the nuts go tight, that's the time to stop and think about it, maybe have a smoke or a coffee etc. but i kept on going and ...snap! I should and could have split the nut with a small, sharp chisel and everything would have been fine , but no, so now I have to fix it, what would you do :?:

What do they say in the UK?? Easy does it! ;)
Unless it is about c-19 ...................... :?

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

March 14th, 2021, 9:36 am
Firing on two.

I finally got some time to get back on it after working 14 days straight. I did the easy stuff first (because I'd forgotten to order the flamin' brake shoes :roll: ),

ImageP1030294 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

cleaning out the rubbish, M 10 bog standard pitch:

ImageP1030293 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

extracting the old seals,

ImageP1030302 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

the old brackets that restrain the pipe had bailed out.

ImageP1030292 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

Made an insertion tool that helps set the spiral pipes in their locations. I did a test run on the bench and fitted the pipes through the crossmember, easy on the bench, it'll be a flaming different matter when I'm underneath the car, but that's what swearing is for ;) isn't it :?: :!:

Decided to treat the wheel bearings to some fresh grease, the car's done over 100,000 miles (160,000 km's). The locking rings would not move even with my air impact wrench, not suprised 'cos the original factory stakes where visible, time to get destructive...

ImageP1030295 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

drilling down in the cut outs, this will blunt the tip of your drillbit when you hit the bearing :) ,

ImageP1030297 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

having drilled out the stakes, a punch gets things moving...

ImageP1030296 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

in no time the ring has given up, just got to do this three more times :D .

ImageP1030300 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

With the rings out, I used this tool that someone gave me to pull the seals,

ImageP1030301 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

The easiest part of the day (apart from cracking a beer 8-) ) easy enough to make I reckon.

ImageP1030298 by Robndaisy, on Flickr

Still grease in there, but it's past it's use by date, bearings are ok, which is good because they are well expensive these days.

Very tempting to throw money at it and get these https://ecas2cvparts.co.uk/collections/ ... tock-5256k but that's too easy isn't it :?: :lol: I'll just get the flaming shoes , rings and some fresh grease. Beer time and slow cooked Brisket for dinner, maybe some roast spuds 'cos the weather's turned nasty again, Prost! :mrgreen:

March 28th, 2021, 7:05 pm
Firing on two.

slow cooked Brisket
Unless you are vegetarian like I am.
I would prefer some tofu with garlic and rice or noodles .
But the weather is better here , sunshine and spring is what brings out sweet feelings of contemptment and happyness.

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

March 28th, 2021, 7:44 pm
Firing on two.

You're right there, G. There is nothing like this Spring after the flamin' Winter we've all just endured everywhere.
Here's to a better year, here in Wales we can move further so i can restart my Wales Coast Path walk, gonna need and want the Charleston for this endeavour :D .

March 28th, 2021, 10:06 pm
Firing on two.

Rob :)

I am really looking forward to getting on with the Shed. The ply I put on last year, has suffer during the winter, and what I didn't get to because of lockdown is falling apart. So I'm investigating alternatives skins.

I could do with some walking myself. It's the roast pots that do it. And possibly the cider!

March 28th, 2021, 11:06 pm
Firing on two.

Aah! that Devon cider, I remember it well :)

March 28th, 2021, 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next