View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 New (to me) van AK350 
Firing on two.

Post Re: New (to me) van AK350
samfieldhouse wrote:
Interesting - 'that one'. It's been M28ified but they've kept the pedal box by creating that ridiculous exhaust, you might want to look at sorting that out. Post some pics of that exhaust when you get it home?

You should maybe point out to the seller that it hasn't been restored at all... they've built a modern car there and that's not the same thing.

I presume to keep it legal you'll be applying for a Q plate and not keeping it tax exempt ;)

I think you're being a bit harsh Sam! Although I agree with you about the definition of a "restoration", I don't think 48Pop needs to worry too much about a Q-plate or tax exemption (or VHI), unless it also has the wrong chassis, axles, suspension, etc. It definitely needs a good look over though.
It is possible that the conversion was done some time ago: It's possible that it has the engine and box from an AKB350/aks400 (single choke carb). It looks like it's still got the banjo brake pipes that a pre-Oct 67 model would have had.
Apart from the missing torpedo silencer on this particular, there's nothing wrong with modifying a later exhaust so that it exits on the correct side for an early AK, (as I have with mine): It's far preferable to cutting up the bulkhead to fit the later pedal-box. I agree though that it is something to check on, to make sure it's been done properly, especially with regard to an unmodified left-hand inlet pipe on the crossbox being to close for comfort to (& too hot for) the glass brake fluid reservoir. Judging by the way the heater control has been used to operate the starter motor, I'm not confident about the way any other modifications may have been done.

October 9th, 2018, 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I did put a winky face :D :lol:

Im glad its gone to somebody in the know - the listing was pretty misleading, implying it was a sympathetically restored car, which it isn't. There's no doubting its had significant work though.

October 9th, 2018, 10:06 pm
Firing on two.

okdoke

So I went to see the car today with the intention of driving it 350 miles home.......Nightmare trip down, unbelievably crappy hotel and a puncture in my Brompton !

Van had a few more ripples than I had seen in the pics, but bodily, not bad.

Engine fired up from cold no problem and ran fine.

However, front brakes were binding badly. Some bashing around with hammers and drum backing off, removal didnt really help, so I decided that driving home was a bad idea and I left it, (and took another nightmare journey home....coach, chavs, drink, joints, seizure etc etc...)

soooo, chassis does indeed look fabulous. Has shockers, and batteurs ! Would i be correct in thinking thats a bit unusual?? And this, probably not the original chassis on the van?

Exhaust has been switched sides and it does have the "low" fluid reservoir. Generally the braking system has banjos and looks a bit damp..

Some pics:

Image[/url]

Any idea if this is correct? Plate screwed to chassis and a bit of a number? (bottom right)

Last edited by 48pop on October 13th, 2018, 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

October 13th, 2018, 11:05 pm
Firing on two.

October 13th, 2018, 11:09 pm
Firing on two.

Batteurs

October 13th, 2018, 11:13 pm
Firing on two.

It is correct for the exhaust to be on that side on a pre-May'68 AK350 but that exhaust is a modified post-May'68 one to go with the post-May'68 engine, (but missing its.side silencer). All AK350s had that suspension set up.

October 14th, 2018, 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

However, that looks like an Allinquant/Lipmesa damper on the driver's side front corner and not only is the plastic shroud out of place, but the damper itself is installed back to front.
Might be worth checking the other three... ;)

chevrons2 wrote:
All AK350s had that suspension set up.

October 14th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Shocks an batteurs together are used up to 1974 on particular models. My 1970 ami 8 has also this setup.. It seems that VGS is promoting this for raidcars nowadays..

The chassis needs to have the big suspension cannisters and the bubble in the floor underneath the seats, otherwise it isn,t original..

Russ

October 14th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

lpgo wrote:
The chassis needs to have the big suspension cannisters and the bubble in the floor underneath the seats, otherwise it isn,t original..

I didn't measure canisters but it does have humps under the seats....

October 14th, 2018, 2:53 pm
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
but the damper itself is installed back to front.
Might be worth checking the other three... ;)

Yep, they are all in that orientation....

I've had a look at some brake fettling videos to remind myself how things work....(my first 2cv had drums..but that was a long time ago), and looking at my pics from yesterday, the brakes in general could do with a look....

Probably best to trailer home.....Leading to my next question.

I have a towing D*lly, (intertrade, solomatic selfsteering but without brakes). Its NOT an A-frame thing, its low slung and has wheels... It all comes apart and can be carried inside the vehicle. As I read the rules, up to 750kg, brakes are not needed on the trailer. The van is taxed and MOT'd and will be insured ..
Internet tells me that an AK350 weighs somewhere around 605kg......does that sound about right??

Plan would be to drive down in my Ducato motorhome, build the D*lly, strap the van to it and head up the road, (300miles...)

This type of D*lly...

October 14th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next