View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 My Red Special 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My Red Special
Attachment:
IMAG0407_1.jpg
IMAG0407_1.jpg [ 340.44 KiB | Viewed 14442 times ]

Annual big clean today. Everything out of boot and interior. Unfortunately there's a bit of rust in the boot now, I used to regularly take everything out of it and spray it with WD40. So it's held up well and it's only the light panel join at the rearmost end.

Greased the king pins and driveshafts and knife edges the other day. So it's feeling like a million dollars after today.

Anyway all ready for winter, if a little early. Anti condensation products applied to windows and locks well oiled so they won't ice up. WD40 sprayed anywhere it might help with dampness.

Attachments:
IMAG0396_1_1.jpg
IMAG0396_1_1.jpg [ 265.7 KiB | Viewed 14442 times ]
September 15th, 2019, 10:29 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

You can tell that everything's out of the boot.
That @rse end is right up in the air... ;)

September 16th, 2019, 1:03 am
Firing on two.

Everyone likes a high arse :)

I do wonder if the nose has come down over the years though. I'll have to try and find some old pictures to compare.

September 18th, 2019, 9:59 am
Firing on two.

Changed the gearbox oil and engine oil today. Wow it feels and sounds lovely right now. How much of that is psychological though...

September 20th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Firing on two.

New year wheel bearings and a fresh MOT with as usual no advisories. One very impressed garage guy Karl, although I've been taking it there since before they bought the garage so in theory he should know every inch of this little buggy.

Even the emissions were spot on this year.

October 25th, 2019, 10:13 am
Firing on two.

She's been pretty dreamy for ages. Didn't use it for a while but needed to empty a jerrycan so she's had some use since then.

Today I changed the gear linkage rubber bushings, lubricated the throttle cable agfter disconnecting it. Keeps getting really sticky. Same with the super stiff heater cables. The heater slider is so smooth now. After 23 years of ownership I suddenly had an epiphany that I snug up the heater cable securing nuts too tight. Its soo smooth now.

Really wanted to do the mod where i can put the capacitor in an accessible place, but i didn't get time. Have to drive a few hundred long distance miles in it over the next few days so I will have to trust to my capacitor luck! I do have a boot full of tools and a spare capacitor...

January 9th, 2020, 3:01 am
Firing on two.

500 miles this weekend, the superbuggy didn't miss a beat. Howling wind and rain, cross country up and down super steep hills, Exmoor, and home now.

They are such brilliant little things aren't they.
But did get overtaken a few times. The difference in speed of modern cars is definitely more noticeable these days isn't it. Not so much on the motorway, bizarrely, but more on hills like on Exmoor etc. The Deuche would be charging up hills really, but still passed by modern cars very swiftly at times.

January 12th, 2020, 11:45 pm
Firing on two.

There are always idiots on the road that have to overtake you because they can't drive behind a 2cv ;-)

January 13th, 2020, 6:53 pm
Firing on two.

Definitely. I'm fine with that, the annoying part comes when they overtake and then slow down and get on my way. I then overtake. Then the process repeats. That used to happen a lot on the motorway but I don't get it so much now.

January 13th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Firing on two.

Decided to clean out the knife rod edges. They were sitting in a solid mass of grease from over the years where I've just splodged more on and usually press it all in with my fingers. I started thinking the mass might hold grit and be counterproductive. There was indeed some stones it had picked up.

Used degreaser all day and stuff brushes, while I was at the yard where I work. And later blasted carefully at the grease with a hot commercial pressure washer. I can see what they look like now! Not completely clear all round from the grease but mostly. Then WD40 to get rid of the moisture. When it's dry I will regrease with nice fresh grease and work it in with a paint brush.

I always wondered why they call them knife rod edges. Anyway I have a slight clunk on some bumps so thought this might help.

January 16th, 2020, 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next