View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 My Red Special 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My Red Special
Unbelievable weather on the motorway yesterday, such forceful rain and violent wind, the Deuche was getting well and truly battered. But not one single drop of moisture inside the car. Good to see this, after all my ministrations in the autumn with the windscreen surround and flap etc.
Bending the flap slightly so the sides meet the surround first - excellent tip I got from somewhere and well worth promoting.
Although, that may be why the paint cracked there on the area below the corners. Still, no leak, yay.

June 7th, 2017, 11:38 am
Firing on two.

I don't have a vent, and still get water coming in. Puzzled!

June 7th, 2017, 11:54 am
Firing on two.

How annoying. It's amazing how water can travel and end up strange places though. What's your windscreen seal like?
I used a new one, with as much good quality mastic as I could get in there.

June 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm
Firing on two.

Yeah, was thinking windscreen seal. Possibly wiper spindles. :cry:

June 7th, 2017, 3:41 pm
Firing on two.

Yeah I did those too, with what ecas said were better quality ones. Oddly sometimes one still leaked a bit, but not a drop yesterday.

June 7th, 2017, 4:13 pm
Firing on two.

What a joy it's been now is sunny. I love driving it anyway, but it's hard to beat with the roof back bombing around squealing the tyres, or even just pootling along.

One happy 2cv owner.

June 20th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Firing on two.

Another year, another MOT test. I always get nervous it'll fail but it almost never has.
Passed with flying colours, good little Deuche.
The brakes were particularly good, which was a slight surprise as I hadn't got around to changing the pads after they got oil on the drivers side with the pushrod seal leaking. Seems to have burnt itself off.

October 18th, 2017, 10:49 pm
Firing on two.

Picked up these and put them on. Had to have one on my flat last night so I could enjoy looking at them. So purdy...

I got them in primer as a present last Xmas. Sealed the back sides with two good coats of two pack epoxy mastic. Then some thick coats of 3M textured stone chip. Then painted red at a local place.
Hoping not to have random holes appearing any time soon...

Next at some point will be front wings.

Attachment:
IMAG2398_1.jpg
IMAG2398_1.jpg [ 317.35 KiB | Viewed 24653 times ]

November 25th, 2017, 12:38 am
Firing on two.

Snow today, and I have mild man flu so no bike. I got the buggy started up, not been used for a bit and it was -5c but still started pretty easily.
Such nice snow cars, its been nice going around in it. People have been staring in amazement. And laughter. Hehe :-)

March 1st, 2018, 11:44 pm
Firing on two.

I put new front wings on it recently, freshly painted. Looks fab!

But today I refitted the manifold spider after having a thread repair guy fit new studs in. Before that I took the offside cylinder head off to put new viton seals on the pushrod tubes to cure a leak.

No idea why it leaked. One of the sections of seal was a little bit not quite right, despite being viton and fitted by a garage. But it wasn't the bit that was leaking.

Anyhoo I used new gaskets for everything and took my time, especially while putting the head back on. New intake bolts and a few other little things too, all in all about 7 hours of happy tinkering.
It sounded so lovely when it started straight up, back to that nice mellow noise again. I've had badly leaking exhaust gases for a couple of years on and off so the sensation of fresh air and that nice engine noise - an amazing sensation!

I wonder if it'll stay leak free. Couldn't see any oil leak either so far, although only drove it down the road.
Previously it was enough to get oil on the brake on a long journey. Juddering clutch sometimes too.

Fingers crossed then!

May 10th, 2018, 12:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next