View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 My Red Special 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My Red Special
Yes ditto Roger. To be honest I've had automatic cruise control for years and years, at one point I doubled up on the return spring for the cable but worried it would make the cable less reliable (more prone to breaking) so reverted. I've oiled the pedal pivot believing it to be that but only discovered recently the cable was intermittently the source of the problem. I oiled it (I never oil plastic type materials normally but it became ridiculously stiff and I didn't have synthetic spray to hand.

It was a delight after that but not for long. I did imagine it was probably swollen soft nylon casing.

The new one isn't terribly smooth but i thought it would get smoother with use. I only had a very small amount of silicone spray for bicycle suspension forks so I just moistened the ends with that.

In two minds about lubing it up more with silicone spray. That stuff never seems to last long, and shouldn't metal in hard nylon be OK as is?

November 24th, 2020, 9:42 pm
Firing on two.

Can you improve the routing, and take out any sharp turns?

November 24th, 2020, 9:53 pm
Firing on two.

Great minds think alike, obviously haha. Yes, routed as smoothly as it can be.

They do take an awful lot of heat over the years though don't they. And for all I know, the previous one was original to the car. I've had the car since it was about 7 or 8 years old I think. (How funny is that!)

November 24th, 2020, 10:19 pm
Firing on two.

In my early motorcycle days, if i was lubing a cable, I used to hang it up. Then create a plastercine cup around the top. Fill the cup with oil and leave it over night. often the oil would work its way through.

Somewhere though, I have a little clamp that clamps to the outer of the cable, but seals against the inner. Then an arosol can inserts and you press the button. :)

November 24th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Firing on two.

Oh that little device sounds amazing. Yeah the best result I had with mine when I used oil, I held it up by the disconnected throttle end of the cable and dripped oil in for a while as I pulled the metal inner cable back and forth. And left it kind of propped up like that for a bit. Yeah it was fab, had never been like that before.
But yeah it went sticky again. It's fine once removed, moves fine. Maybe iit's jjust when it's warmed up well. .

November 24th, 2020, 11:22 pm
Firing on two.

Drove it to work to check it was all good. I usually cycle. It was so smooth and purry, very happy little car.

November 27th, 2020, 1:01 am
Firing on two.

Cable oiling. Just looked a bunch of old magazines what I got from one neighbour, some "populadr classics", "popular mechanics" etc, and that ad showed there..:

Attachment:
IMG_2388.JPG
IMG_2388.JPG [ 547 KiB | Viewed 10260 times ]

Photo from "Frost Auto Restoration Techniques" catalog, from 1992

Wondering does that company still exist, they had a lot of decent tools on their catalog..?

November 27th, 2020, 11:05 am
Firing on two.

Hi Jasu,
https://www.frost.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAiA ... s0QAvD_BwE

November 27th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Firing on two.

Still sell the same product too, just 3x the price of 1992.

https://www.frost.co.uk/hyd-cable-oiler/

November 27th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Firing on two.

I borrowed one of those once, it was messy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-C ... %3A2334524

I have one of these somewhere. :) For smaller cables though. Don't know if it would fit the clutch cable.

November 27th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next