View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 1962 Belgium Import - Great Uncle's 
2CV Fan

Post 1962 Belgium Import - Great Uncle's
Welcome to my great uncles car which he has owned for a mere 40 something years! Because my Cat-C 1982 and maintaining the 1988 are not quite enough work for me already, I along with my brother have agreed to help him out and finally get this on the road as this makes 'Daisy's' slumber of 15 years seem like a long weekend. The car is a Belgium import believed to be manufactured in 1962 which he bought in 1972. He used it until around 1975 when he took it apart, but the tub on top of his Austin A35 and shoved the panels in the back and had it re-sprayed, in a non standard colour for year but nevertheless a Citroen colour, for the grand sum £85 or such like - crazy! Considering as well as that, for the large part it has been outside, albeit covered up, since then so its held up extremely well. So after then the body was bolted back and work progressed ever so methodically but did not take priority (my great uncle moved house, had a family etc.) and as such has remained largely untouched since.

At some point in the 70's the car was inspected by the AA who said that the engine had a large amount of end float play. The engine was then stripped right down but as far as I know is all there but I haven't seen it as it is buried in the depths of the garage. I'm not sure what can be done about engine if there is a large amount of end float play. Is there any saving it? It is obviously the 425cc unit which could be problematic to find parts for if it is.

One thing I noticed was the wheels. They appear to be the standard 15 inch later type and internet searches of '1962 Belgium 2cv's' seem to mirror that of my great uncle's but due to the fact it has the wheel mounted dampers should they be 16 inch? There is just enough clearance and as I say they go look right but I just thought I'd check.

Finally one thing that caught me by surprise was the amount of paperwork with it. It is like a museum piece in that regard. Any help identifying its true year of manufacture and original colour would be of great help I noticed in some of the history that it's grey . Many thanks. Sam.

February 15th, 2015, 10:34 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: 1962 Belgium Import - Great Uncle's
I like it. I don't know what wheels it should have but you can use 15" wheels with batteurs, Ami's, dyanes and later 2cvs all had them. 425s aren't hard to get parts for, ECAS does quite a lot but manifolds are usually rotten and a ballache to repair. Sam Clukkers is the man to speak to regarding Belgian 2cvs, I think he is on this site but if not I'm sure Neil or Sam could point you in his direction.

February 15th, 2015, 11:02 pm
super slot

Love it!

February 15th, 2015, 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

So apparently all Sams are Belgian enthusiasts. Actual Belgian Sam (Cluckers) is the man to talk to, are you on faceache? Also, where in East Sussex are you, I'd love to have a look!

15 inch wheels are correct but it should probably have the earlier type without the centre hole and the curvier profile - i'll try and dig out a pic.

February 16th, 2015, 1:53 am
Firing on two.

Wheels are ok 15 inch since 1959. For the colour there must be a round aluminum disc with the colournumber stamped on it. Belgian 2cvs had different colours. Nice car and finding an 425 engine mustn't be a grand problem. Here a lot of info on belgian 2cvs on vincents site.
http://users.skynet.be/vincent.beyaert/V2004/

February 16th, 2015, 2:51 pm
Firing on two.

According to the identification plate, it's an AZS.
Do you still have the specific AZS items with it? Like the steering wheel, bumpers and rear lights?
http://users.skynet.be/vincent.beyaert/V2004/

February 16th, 2015, 3:54 pm
Firing on two.

(also my great uncles). It apparently has all the parts with it. It is full of panels and parts which are yet to be sorted out, including boxes in the garage.

February 16th, 2015, 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]