View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Spunkbucket 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Spunkbucket
Russ, use some Nik Wax Tech Wash on the roof. The one my Charleston came with was all mouldy green, but it came back a treat easily with this stuff (which Matt himself recommends). It'll probably need re-waterproofing, and I believe Nik Wax do a product for this as well.

February 18th, 2015, 12:04 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks for the advice, if I can find that stuff I'll get some. I jet washed the roof and it turns out its actually red! It's not perfectly clean but the car is almost respectable now, it's still a disgrace, but nothing like as bad as it was. I welded the holes in the roof rail at lunchtime and cut out all the rusty holes in the C pillars. Ill weld them tomorrow. The lower door hinge isn't attached on the drivers side and the A panel has rusted off from where it joins the repair panel/sill to about 9" up the A pillar. Not sure what to do with it except weld metal to whatever's left and accept its never going to be any good.

For some reason the throttle was adjusted so that when the pedal was touching the floor it was barely opening the 2nd choke, with that sorted it goes quite well.

Tomorrow will be more welding.

February 18th, 2015, 9:51 pm
Firing on two.

How you weld roof - special fabric rods...?

February 18th, 2015, 11:05 pm
Firing on two.

Here's a photo. I might have a go at making some bumpers next week.

February 19th, 2015, 12:09 am
Haggis Muncher

You'll find tech wash in any half decent outdoor shop.

February 20th, 2015, 1:10 am
Firing on two.

Thoroughly amusing thread so far! I read out the first post to my Mrs, she thought it was hilarious but sympathises with yours. Maybe we should start a 2CV owners wives subforum. I look forward to seeing the paint job, sounds interesting...

1989 2CV6 (what's a D*lly?), 1989 MG 1275 powered mini, Renault Trafic.

February 20th, 2015, 6:10 pm
Firing on two.

True story. At Gurston Down in May and then possible La Vie en Blu.. maybe.

I pick green car up from Sparrow Hq very soon - as it's in sports libre class for MSA Sprints/Hillclimbs (with the engine change) it had to have a cage and a whole host of other mod's to bring it up to Blue Book spec. It's just been to the paint shop this week to have the cage and seat frames painted, all the bits should be bolted back onto it this coming week...

Thinking about supercharging with a Rotrex from TTS up near silverstone when it's hibernating again next winter - they have supercharged BMW boxers before..

Now you're talking about a black roof for yours... I do have my old Matts soft top that is black and still waterproof (I only changed it for a sandy coloured one because I'm a tart) - You're welcome to this but it does need the elastic in the edges of it replacing as the clips at the front that hold those bits into the metal bar have rusted out.

Russell wrote:
fritz wrote:
I've still got that set (and spares) of BMW bike carbs and inlet manifolds that I promised you 18 months ago or so... I'll drop them by next time I pass to the folks. They'll go a treat on this and will distract you away from doing the bodywork.

Ah thanks! It'd be nice to catch up anyway. I quite like that Bamboo of yours, did you mention somewhere that you're hillclimbing it?

Today I've got the workshop to myself so I'll start the welding, I was going to leave it red and white but there's no fun in that. I was painting my nippers nails (that's what my life's become now) last night and we decided the pattern she wanted on them would look great on the 2cv, so Pink and black camouflage over a white background is the plan.

I've borrowed a whacking great diesel powered pressure washer and with all the interior removed I'm going to give it a thorough blow out and try to get the mould off it. The roof is actually red but it's a Matts roof which I'm not a fan of and I'm not sure it will come up very well. If it does I'd be interested in swapping it for a standard roof in black.

February 21st, 2015, 7:59 pm
Firing on two.

I'm very interested in your black roof, thanks. Would love to see some photos of your car, espescially in action.

February 21st, 2015, 11:53 pm
Firing on two.

Cor....I remember seeing this car at a few events back in the day. The huge bonnet chevrons are a bit of a giveaway.

Good luck with this one Russ.

February 25th, 2015, 2:45 pm
Firing on two.

The roof hasn't leaked yet so I might get away without proofing it for a while. This evening I patched up the drivers side A panel and door pillar/hinge which had all rusted apart. I should have bought a new A pillar, A panel, drip channel and hinge mount but look at the car, it's not worth the expense, so I just chopped the rusty bits out as best as I could and filled in the gaps with sheet metal. It'll look fine once it's all tarted up I'm sure. I've just got one front floor and a rear seat belt mount to do now. Again, more patches but meh, as long as it MOTs and keeps going itll be grand. It's only a D*lly.

So, today the manifold started blowing. It's actually rusted right through which sucks arse as I'm pretty sure it won't come off without the manifold studs breaking. I could do without that to be honest.

What else doesn't work? Well the push button starter affair that's currently 'installed' on the bottom of the dash panel (which isn't fixed to anything) needs to be manipulated in different ways just to make the bastard start. I bought one of them racy push button ignition/starter panels with the James Bond style 'end of the world' switches. I've mounted all of that in a spare dashboard which I've shotblasted and will paint in some cheerful manner. I need a new washer pump as that's all laying in bits on the dashboard. I might treat myself to an electric pump like they have in normal cars.

It's got some hideous vibration like its got a damper gone although looking back at the forum I see its had this problem a fair while. It's pretty bad, I reckon it wants a kingpin as when it's greased it's fine for a day or two. It shakes like a shitting dog the rest of the time mind you.

February 26th, 2015, 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next