View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Ami Super Duper 
Field Plougher

Post Ami Super Duper
Credit goes to Ian Seabrook on the name, more creative than me I suppose!

Anyway Ive not put anything on here about this, but as I'm trying to avoid doing some Uni work but am also conscious that I have to do some I'm going to just copy and paste off snail... Basically Alfasud Ami, minus Alfasud parts.

I bought Pete sparrow's old Ami super off Jozef - I had planned on getting it running and having car to mess about with on track days and stuff like that.
Anyway life got in the way, I got more involved at work, started a degree, started 2cv racing and spent my money on alcohol. Within this time Pete and others repeatedly told me that the car was dangerous even at the sight of rain... So it sat and sat and sat in the garden.

Whilst at a track day with my old Saxo and Pete's BMW 2cv as I saw him overtake a car similar to mine I decided I had to have a BMW 2cv.

While intoxicated or something similar I hatched a plan with Pete. This was to fulfil my original intention of having an Ami to use on the track but doing it the modern(isn - 1996) way rather than using heavy old technology that produced similar power but ruined the handling of the car.

Anyway me and my Dad pulled the engine and gearbox out one Saturday morning using an arrangement of trolley jacks and straps to manoeuvre it out.(We don't have an engine hoist really should do but 2cv engines are our usual toy)

I then got some racing springs and turned arms with 3° of camber, just got to find some suitable shockers and get some widened wheels to put some Toyo R888 tyres on, this should then make the car handle fairly well, with maybe a bit of camber and a bit of tow in at the rear :D

A week later I got a BMW engine, and Pete delivered the conversion kit!

So I did a trial fit;

This was with the dowels still in the gearbox so then engine will sit 10mm further back, however it's evident I will need to sort a solution for the alternator.

I then took it upon my self to try and remove the dowels from the gearbox, instead I managed to crack the bell housing, so then had to change this for a less corroded one.

I still need to exchange a fly wheel to get a BMW adapted flywheel then I can really have some fun and get it started :twisted: :twisted:

Probably most importantly I need to sort the brakes - I think I will use GS front callipers with custom seals and old style rear cylinders in order to run DOT 5.1 brake fluid. I then need to find a suitable master cylinder maybe the Alfasud one will work, I will have to work our what 2cv master cylinder to brake piston ratio is and try and get somewhere close to this.

I have got a GS gearbox and GS brake callipers, I am using a 70s 2cv master cylinder and Axel brake seals (cheers Harley!)

The GS gear box sits nice and low with a mount welded in, this allows the engine to fit under the bonnet (with a few adjustments) I have an LN bell housing and LN output shafts to put onto the GS box so it can be used.
The LN bell housing is also shorter than the GS bell housing, this should make the engine fit even easier. The engine mounts just require a cross brace, however I will do this once the new bell housing is fitted.

The engine wiring is nearly complete, it requires 3 wires splicing into the car wiring, a couple of wires putting into the car but really nothing major!

The fuel system is also in place, just requires one wire putting in!
Most importantly the body work.... the front end detaches hole with 4 nuts. The rear wings detach with only one nut and one bolt (I had to do this to get the wheels off with the new GAZ shocks)

As above it has some two way adjustable GAZ 2cv racing shock absorbers fitted too.
:D :D

I also have these that are too old for the race car now :wink: Only issue being I had to extend the gear stick so I can reach it!!

Maybe I need more MPH?

Had the swirl pot made up at work, it's now all connect I'll take better photos in my next batch!

Location of the pumps, again this is now fully connected. Better photos coming.

Thats two posts lazy'd from snail, I've got a but further now so..

The driveshafts I had were too short and poped the triages out immediately so I bastardised them a bit to make it roll..

Disco V8 diff cooler for engine cooling, will probably need more.

I got a really light flywheel, about the same weight as the bike's...

Anyway so it works..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

Took it for a spin earlier, it's fucking quick, so quick in fact that by the time I was in second I had pulled the steering wheel off (some one forgot the top bolt on the column :? ) so I got an opportunity to test the brakes too.

April 21st, 2014, 5:00 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Ami Super Duper
Louis,
"poping the triages"?
That's something you don't want to try too often, mixing religion and medicine.

Other than that, everything looks suitably scarey... ;)

April 21st, 2014, 10:10 pm
Firing on two.

Thats Nice,

Suitable 'sleeper' but with some 'look' to it.

Now, all you need to do is terrorise the normal folk in it.

Non standard is always the hardest route to go, but thats the correct results :D

April 22nd, 2014, 9:38 am
Firing on two.

Looks great - as a note (do not want to brag) but that dif cooler - I designed it :) when I worked for Calsonic (Japanese OE cooling etc company).

April 22nd, 2014, 7:13 pm
Field Plougher

Awesome, I'll come back to you and ask for advice on further cooling if it isn't sufficient!

@Ken, Spell correct is magical, except when trying to create words... popped the Triaxes the three pronged bearing thing!

April 22nd, 2014, 7:24 pm
Firing on two.

You could try the oil cooler from a Frontera (me again :oops: )
http://www.adrad.co.uk/prices/prices.ph ... e=VAUXHALL

April 22nd, 2014, 7:36 pm
Field Plougher

ChrisW wrote:
You could try the oil cooler from a Frontera (me again :oops: )
http://www.adrad.co.uk/prices/prices.ph ... e=VAUXHALL

About £80 more than I paid for the Disco one, and nearly a hundred more than the W12 continental one..

April 22nd, 2014, 7:47 pm
Firing on two.

There must be lots in scrap yards, also Range Rover diesel had similar one - mark 2 Range Rover

April 22nd, 2014, 10:24 pm
2CV Fan

are you selling the alfa[?] engine could be nice for my dyane instead of a expensive tuned gsa engine haha

April 30th, 2014, 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Field Plougher

Yeah it's yours if you want it, it's bloody heavy maybe not too much more than a GSA one?
Collection from England though!

May 2nd, 2014, 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next