View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 4:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 sidney has entered the building 
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: sidney has entered the building
*1 Geometry? You've tipped the bulkhead backwards by dropping the back end, which pulls the bonnet back.

*2 Relay? Tell us more... ;)

Not mentioned, but how are the ergonomics of your design?
Would anyone other than Bashful, Doc, Dopey or Sneezy be able to sit on the back seat without propping up the roof?

ken

sig wrote:
please tell me yes!)...err the light brackets have been cut about 8cm which seems to be the max without major surgery

*1 they also need setting back by 2cm for some reason to slot into the bonnet holes

what else? , oh the *2 electrical relay thing (?) has been taken off and moved back

its pretty much as tight as can be in there and I´ve only gained 8cm drop..which surprises me a little

oh and the inner wings have to be chopped quite a lot for clearances...all this is without any lowering of the front end via the suspension

also done the welding of the stainless and ground down, looks like a bathtub, the seats have been positioned and shortened where necesary..and thats about it , apart from lots of umming and ahhing

August 20th, 2013, 11:38 pm
Firing on two.

haha! yeah i know...my haynes manuel hasnt arrived yet Ken :)
the blackplastic cylindrical electrical thing on the front...god knows what it does..condenser ??.don´t think its a distributor!

haha..give us a break these citroens are weird...I´d swear the seats are bolted on with 7mm thread bolts!...can someone confirm that or am I going mad...its not 6 or 8 thats for sure...who the hell uses 7mm bolts...and the first time I ever used a 14mm ratchet was last week also!!

lpgo, ventilated foot wells..I like the idea mate..and loads less welding! :D

August 21st, 2013, 12:04 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Ignition coil, like so?

Welcome to Citroen's world of M7, M9, M11 thread sizes and spanners measuring 11mm or 14mm A/F, etc... :roll:

ken

sig wrote:
haha! yeah i know...my haynes manuel hasnt arrived yet Ken :)
the blackplastic cylindrical electrical thing on the front...god knows what it does..condenser ??.don´t think its a distributor!

haha..give us a break these citroens are weird...I´d swear the seats are bolted on with 7mm thread bolts!...can someone confirm that or am I going mad...its not 6 or 8 thats for sure...who the hell uses 7mm bolts...and the first time I ever used a 14mm ratchet was last week also!!

lpgo, ventilated foot wells..I like the idea mate..and loads less welding! :D

August 21st, 2013, 12:59 am
Firing on two.

If it was me, and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, I'd have sat the chassis on axle stands with the tie rods disconnected, then sat the wheels and suspension at the regular desired running height, THEN put the shell on minus it's bonnet, front wings, floors, bulkhead, boot floor, rear inner wings, seat box etc (just the bare outer shell) and gone from there. Putting the body lower than the chassis is an odd move, if you want it low you're going to be smashing it into the road fairly often and the chassis is far better at taking that abuse than the bottom of the sills and wings.

I must admit, I'd be ordering some springs and dampers and some turned front arms before hitting the road.

August 21st, 2013, 7:18 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Russell wrote:
If it was me, and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, I'd have sat the chassis on axle stands with the tie rods disconnected, then sat the wheels and suspension at the regular desired running height, THEN put the shell on minus it's bonnet, front wings, floors, bulkhead, boot floor, rear inner wings, seat box etc (just the bare outer shell) and gone from there. Putting the body lower than the chassis is an odd move, if you want it low you're going to be smashing it into the road fairly often and the chassis is far better at taking that abuse than the bottom of the sills and wings.

I must admit, I'd be ordering some springs and dampers and some turned front arms before hitting the road.

I writed this down 2 pages ago already...
Quote:
I would prefer a lowest point of the body which is at least 2 or 3 cm higher then the lowest part of the chassis..... again my opinion........

Russ

August 21st, 2013, 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

ignition coil! thats the boy, thanks for clarification ken

right ...just to clarify, the body is not lower than the chassis, the absolute lowest part of the car is the front supports for the suspension tubes which are about 4cm lower than the sills. the sills are parallel to the central part of the chassis and about 2cm above them. apart from that I´ve put in some strong stainless tube just inside the sills and slightly lower than the sills just in case for some reason I´m going over a speed bump on a curve for example. It also holds the seat belt mountings etc. ( you can just see it on that last pic)

besides that the rear is already on the bump stops (more of a problem in my opinion), so theoretically its impossible for the chassis or body to go any lower whilst driving or not. the only place where the body is lower than the chassis is where it kicks up at the back...If i had a camera that works all this would become clear.

also distance from chassis to floor at the momentt is about 20cm..which is loads more than the clearance I have on the cortina and that clears all bumps around here without problems.

the theory is to build it on the lowest feasible setting and than adjust with the tie rods afterwards..which is probably going to be up a tad at the back and a smidge down at the front maybe.

the most obvious thing that will be broken off will be the rear bumper which will be 10cm from the floor if I stupidly wanted to mount it as standard..but I won´t ;)

its kind of a work in progress I always build my furniture a bit like this...a loose idea and then see what happens...probably not the most effective way to work it keeps me more interested as its a steep learning curve.

anyway, off with a fresh brain to look at the foot panel! :shock:

cheers for all input guys, much appreciated..I´m working alone here so these chats help a lot to visualise problemitas..

August 21st, 2013, 9:23 am
Firing on two.

correction..just had another look, the body is also lower than the chassis from about 50cm before the rear wheels due to the raking...don´t think thats problem though unless I want to go up curbs head on? :D

August 21st, 2013, 12:08 pm
Firing on two.

I'd lose the rear bump stops, they can be moved up but you'll have to recess them into the inner wings a bit, or make something new to fit elsewhere. Also I'd sack off the front bump stops or cut most of the rubber away. What sort of ride height are you aiming for? I've had an unchanneled car at 28mm and that's no problem at all, although because I'm old or turning gay or something I run my current car at 40mm, sadly because of the shit 'Frome' chassis which must have been designed by a cretin the shocker mounts are way too low, once I've moved them I'll be able to go down into the 20mm's again.

To make it look really good I'd add a good bit of negative camber to those front arms when you turn them, to really tuck the tyres into the front wheelarches. And you *really* need to turn the arms! We have all run cars low with stock arms but its not right and spoils how it drives.

I really need to do a channeled car, I guess the next time a cheap deuche comes my way I will throw my hat into the ring and build one!

Good work so far though!

August 21st, 2013, 7:44 pm
Firing on two.

20mm - is that gap between chassis and the road - less than 1 inch............ :?: :?: :?:

August 21st, 2013, 8:23 pm
Firing on two.

28mm, way more than an inch! Yeah, measured from the front axle bolts to the floor. I'd like closer to 25mm on my current car, but with the rear end closer to the floor which will bring the front up a touch.

August 21st, 2013, 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next