View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Aussie' Kermit 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Aussie' Kermit
I love the rear wings

must up grade my car!
Pony

July 26th, 2014, 8:52 pm
Firing on two.

Full tit wide ooen throttle for 2500km, on song.
Then.
At 60km/h.
Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt....
Blew a sparkplug clean out of the head. ..

Harley

July 28th, 2014, 4:14 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

That would be... ;)
http://youtu.be/6RfAYnCxkK0?t=33s

Mind you, peak cylinder pressure occurs at 'peak torque' rpm, not at 'peak power' rpm,
so a plug with dodgy threads is more more likely to let go when accelerating hard or
with the pedal to the metal when climbing a hill.

July 28th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Firing on two.

Having had ringing ears from listening to the induction noise at WOT for 4 days @ 800km per day I decided to do something about it as I still had 900k's to go!
Basically it made it asthmatic and woul run out of breath at top speed...
So I shortened the pipe. ..
It still runs faster without it but it is a lot quieter!
Better to fit the original air box and a smooth pipe I think :?

Harley

September 25th, 2014, 8:34 am
Firing on two.

Hi Harley,

first I had this:

I made a 'turbo' aircleaner couple of years ago, after a conversation with a motorbike tuning expert. He told me to get rid of as many bends/ knees as possible, create a really big filter surface area (and adjust the jets in carb according to the 'extra amount of air) I came up with this system, not pretty yet, but effective!:

later I made a new filter unit using very course foam meant for a filtersystem in your garden pond

so the air gets in and gets swirled round (vortex) at the inside of the filter element it can get straigth in the carb. The only advice the tuning guy had on this version was to improve the flow to the carb by making it more into a cone shape, or better like a trumpet (like the old non filter tuned motorbikes have)

greetzzzzzzzzz

Rusty

September 25th, 2014, 9:35 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Harley, If I can see right you are using the Deawoo Matiz throttle-body.. Someone told to use them in a 2cv, but not me. They are much to small for a normal aspirated engine (engine without turbo or compressor). I think you can at least use a butterfly of 42/45mm. Remember the old Ami 6 engine also used a carb with a single butterfly this big... So first thing I would change in your case would be the throttlebody...

With compressor or turbo it's another story.... Because pressure is build up so restriction isn't a big issue then.... with a smaller butterfly on a turbo/compressor engine you have more control, otherwise it will only be a on and off switch....

Building my Beamer at the moment |I would suggest you take 1 throttlebody of a 1150/1200 Beamer, I think this will work great on a "normal"2cv...

Cheers Geo..

Russ

September 25th, 2014, 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

lpgo wrote:
Harley, If I can see right you are using the Deawoo Matiz throttle-body.. Someone told to use them in a 2cv, but not me. They are much to small for a normal aspirated engine (engine without turbo or compressor).

Cheers Geo..

That was probably me! I found it to be the best size that can be found at a wrecking yard and know of two other projects who have used them since.
38mm of the Matiz throttle is more than enough flow for up to 80hp, even a 28mm Tb is good for 40hp...
You can't compare carby sizes to throttle bodies, carbys are usually 4-6mm less at the venturi than they say plus they have more obstructions in the airstream, not to mention if it is duel throat.
I would prefer smaller to have even better throttle control, I can see on Megasquirt it reaches max vacuum at about 60% throttle.
But this is all just theory as I have not tried a larger TB but I don't think there is any more voodoo in a 2cv to make it any different ;-)

Harley

September 26th, 2014, 11:40 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

I experience another thing here, going from carb to deawoo Matiz on my lpg car I notice a real diffrence, going down on torq in every rpm range.... so also less power... Just try a bigger one nothing to loose here...

Quote:
I can see on Megasquirt it reaches max vacuum at about 60% throttle.

Schould be minimum vacuum... WOT is minimum Vacuum (almost outside airprssure)..

Doing research on this with my ignition:

A normal carb with open airfilter and WOT goes up to 98% at 3000rpm going to 97/96% at 6000rpm.

An Original airfilter is about 1% lower..

A Dyane with "turbo-pipe"is almost up to 100% (related to outside airpressure) so that's the 1.5. HP a turbo-pipe can give you

It is very normal that with a little throttle your map is already up to 60.. That's why I make the cells
diffrence smaller going up to 100. Iddle would is around 35% on all the 1-2-spark cars I know..

My opinion is: Map numbers have allmost nothing to do with the butterfly dimension. The restriction of your airfilter infront of the carb makes the numbers.....

You always can make a progressive butterfly regulation, if the throttle feels like an on and off switch... You just need to fiddle with the angle of the lever against the angle of the butterfly.. If it is really worse make a wheel with the center out of the middle an wound/unwound the throttlecable on it...

I think you get what I mean...

Russ

September 26th, 2014, 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Hi Guys,

I have my own theory about this.

a 2cv is a 2 cilinder of 600 cc, so 300 cc displacement per cilinder

each stroke where it sucks in air is the volume that goes trough your throttlebody (in theory) if you would take a throttlebody of a 4 cilinder car the enginsize should be close to 1200 cc (4x300 cc)

a deawoo Matiz is 800 cc and has 3 cilinders, so 266 cc displacement per cilinder, so close to what we have on our 2cv's

BWM 2 cil boxer 1200 cc: 600cc displacement per stroke, so a (single) throttlebody from a 2400cc engine would do the job.

of course we want to get every last bit of power out of our little engines so a bit bigger throttlebody should be ok, as we don't have to think about the enviroment and fuel economy as much as the manufacturer of modern cars.

so I think Harley is not that far off

does this make sense to you guys? (who have so much more experience in EFI) or is there something I forgot about?

greetzzzzz

(edit didn't read Geo's last post before writng this)

September 26th, 2014, 12:38 pm
Firing on two.

Finally got around to fitting the roof rack! Most of the delay was simply getting a rack at a reasonable price, the vw crew snatch them up for big bucks.
Turns oit my 2cv guru had a couple hiding in his shed!
Made a nice compromise by setting just far enough back to fold open the front of the roof. This gave it perfect clearance for the extended rear hatch I have.
It feels so strong I think it will work well as a roll cage. :cool:
also had my make do a nice pinstripe on my wheels for some low profile tyres. Freshly glass blasted.
next is clear powder coat.

Harley

March 28th, 2015, 10:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next