View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Beachcomber!! (Probably bitten off more than I can chew...) 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Beachcomber!! (Probably bitten off more than I can chew.
You'll find a couple more behind the rear light panel,from when the canvas roof did the boot as well :-)

February 28th, 2013, 8:22 pm
Haggis Muncher

Now here's a question, as I've never even considered tackling a car this rotten before - where to start?? Everything that needs to be replaced is attached to something else that needs to be replaced :lol:

It honestly seems like there's nowhere to start, but here's my plan anyways... Assuming the inner rear wings don't need replaced, start by welding some reinforcing bars to the decent metal, so that when the body comes off the chassis it doesn't just flex completely out of shape. After that, repair the seat box ends, and then replace the toe-board, which should allow me to put the new floors in, and finally replace the sills.

All sound good?

February 28th, 2013, 11:14 pm
Firing on two.

Tack weld some sturdy angle iron between all the door pillars about 6 inches or so up from the bottom and also across the car.

I found this made the shell sturdy enough to remove without flexing.
Then roll the shell over and weld some strength back in from underneath (sills, floors, bulkhead).

(There's some pics on my 'very rusty blue celeste' thread somewhere, which I will get around to finishing one day, honest.)

March 1st, 2013, 9:17 am
Firing on two.

Take some other chassis and put this body on it. Than start rebuild body from back side... Back light panel, trunk, repair inner wings, change seat box, change or repair C post, change floors, repair B post, change sills, repair or change A post, change panel under the pedals(toe board?), repair or change panels by the A posts ... than repair or change all other parts of body.

As body is still unwelded with original sills you can weld some reinforcing bars from post to post ... whatever, I don't use reinforcing bars if body is so rotten like this.

Well... this is my way of repairing . I always repair bodys on chassis that will be latter mounted on the car.

2CV was hand made and low cost. So it was normal than that body's was not in correct shape and measurements... tolerance was so huge that you can measure differences between left and right side in centimeters (not millimeters) . Also new body parts are cheap made and you cant trust on their measurements also.

On the end ... it is all based on skills of man who will repair 2CV body...

Too much ? OK, don't listen to me... Just go and do it :)

see here... http://2cvkeza.weebly.com/obnova-karoserije.html This is my way :)

March 1st, 2013, 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Haggis Muncher

2cvkeza wrote:
On the end ... it is all based on skills of man who will repair 2CV body...

Oh dear... :lol: I think i will need a lot of welding practice, but then again I'm sure this car will be a great teacher :D

Joking aside, thanks for the advice folks. It'll be a few weeks probably before I can get the replacement chassis. It still has a most of a body on it that is going to someone else to repair, then the chassis will be coming to me to strip and use. I wish i could afford one of Ken's, but 700 pounds on top of what this will cost me already is just too much. Maybe in the future.

I also don't have any spare cash for replacement parts or panels just now, seeing as the Acad needs many, MANY repairs done to it, so basically all that will be getting done for now is stripping the 2cv to a bare shell, and then saving up money to buy parts. As I said at the start of the thread, I plan for this to be a long term project (unless I get too impatient).

I did notice that the 2cv shop (UK distributor for Cassis) are offering original Citroen back wings for 50 pounds each at the moment - I think that will be first on the list ;)

March 1st, 2013, 1:39 pm
Haggis Muncher

Well the sunny weather has left us, but i was itching to get my hands dirty, so i thought i'd have a go at cleaning the seat covers. The pictures don't really capture it, but while in good physical condition, they were filthy with general grot. I don't think they got cleaned once in the last 30 years, which for white seats is BAD NEWS!

After having a quick whip-over with a generic foam-n-brush combo from halfords, there was absolutely no difference. Tried another couple of times, but it just wasn't happening.

I decided to give one of the covers a good dunk in the bath to see if I could flush the grime out that way, so with a few scoops of vanish thrown in for good measure, in it went!

Came back an hour later to find this :o

Pretty disgusting, i think you'll all agree! I stuck the cover over a little stepladder and rinsed it off under the shower for about ten minutes to make sure all the vanish was out.

Its drying now, so i'll let you know how i get on!

March 7th, 2013, 2:56 pm
Haggis Muncher

Just got a call to say the padlock has went missing off of the lock-up I'm keeping this in. Its a fair drive away so I'll have to head out tomorrow morning and survey the damage :(

April 21st, 2013, 10:33 pm
scared of the dark

It's not always bad news! My lockup had the lock chopped off and I got a phone call ("it's been like that for a week now..." FFS) and buggerall had been stolen or destroyed, there is a ruck of sheet aluminium in there as well as shelves of spares and cable!
Proper confused but not complaining!
Who can truly understand the mind of some scummy pikey though....

1996 Xantia - some scum set it on fire.
1996 Xantia - never lend your car to someone, they may write it off.

April 22nd, 2013, 3:57 pm
Haggis Muncher

Looks like you were right, Andy! Nowt missing and no obvious damage. Keys were even still in the ignition :oops:

April 23rd, 2013, 12:21 am
scared of the dark

Fluffy wee pikies

1996 Xantia - some scum set it on fire.
1996 Xantia - never lend your car to someone, they may write it off.

April 24th, 2013, 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5